First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Kuroshitsuji: What gender do you think Grelle is?
14673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / 'murica
Offline
Posted 1/18/15
I use really any pronouns, but usually female. I heard somewhere that Toboso confirmed Grelle is a transsexual female, but I don't know for sure because I haven't seen a source. Not that it really matters; I can't read her blog since it's all Japanese.

Do you guys think there are pronouns we should all be using for him/her/them/etc.?

and

What gender do you consider Grelle?
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/18/15 , edited 1/18/15
Possibly, possibly! trans female, as Yana supposedly stated. Though I sometimes slip up and refer to Grell as a man. It happens. I kind of interchangeably end up using female and male pronouns for grell because i myself am not 100% sure that trans Grell is canon, and even if I believe Grell may very well be what people have said Yana has said she is. It doesn't mean I am sure of it.

Misinformation spreads like wildfire.
14673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / 'murica
Offline
Posted 1/19/15

animegirl2222 wrote:

Possibly, possibly! trans female, as Yana supposedly stated. Though I sometimes slip up and refer to Grell as a man. It happens. I kind of interchangeably end up using female and male pronouns for grell because i myself am not 100% sure that trans Grell is canon, and even if I believe Grell may very well be what people have said Yana has said she is. It doesn't mean I am sure of it.

Misinformation spreads like wildfire.


Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm still trying to get used to female pronouns because at first, I automatically rendered Grelle as a man. And yeah, I'd like to see a source for where Yana said it, possibly with an accurate translation?
Posted 1/19/15
I don't understand authors who reveal their characters' gender/sexual identity outside of their stories.

It's like when JK Rowling said Dumbledore was gay... um what was the point of telling us that information? Serves no purpose whatsoever.

14673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / 'murica
Offline
Posted 1/19/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

I don't understand authors who reveal their characters' gender/sexual identity outside of their stories.

It's like when JK Rowling said Dumbledore was gay... um what was the point of telling us that information? Serves no purpose whatsoever.



Mmm...maybe it doesn't matter if you just watch the show, but if you're in a fandom (or if you're just generally obsessed with a character) it's nice to know these kinds of things. And with something like gender and pronouns—at least, this is what I think—is important even if you're just watching. I prefer to correctly refer to people, fictional or non-fictional.
Posted 1/19/15
I always saw him as a man because that's how he is portrayed as in the anime. Never really question his gender (I did question his sexuality though). I know many feminine guys like Grell but they consider themselves as men so, unless there's actual proof of his gender, he will always be a man for me.
536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/26/15
He's a man.
42365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/26/15
I also heard that Grell is a transgender woman. I was always a bit confused by Grell's gender.
118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / England
Offline
Posted 1/26/15
I think he's male.
10181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The state of Wash...
Offline
Posted 1/26/15
Grell is a gay white male.
20285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 1/26/15
gender bender lol
Sogno- 
45670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 1/26/15 , edited 1/26/15
ehh idk about canon but in general since Japanese has neutral personal pronouns and English doesn't (aside from "it" which doesn't refer to a person) this sort of confusion happens often, because the translation has to choose a gender-specific pronoun.

that said i've always thought of Grelle as a man.


GayAsianBoy wrote:

I don't understand authors who reveal their characters' gender/sexual identity outside of their stories.

It's like when JK Rowling said Dumbledore was gay... um what was the point of telling us that information? Serves no purpose whatsoever.



i totally agree.

and speaking of HP, i wasn't pleased with the "oh btw harry and hermione were supposed to get together" .. like wha? you just want more publicity ms rowling >.>
Posted 1/27/15

Sogno- wrote:
i totally agree.

and speaking of HP, i wasn't pleased with the "oh btw harry and hermione were supposed to get together" .. like wha? you just want more publicity ms rowling >.>


next, she'll say Voldemort has a secret love child--it was harry potter.

she's an attention ____.
Posted 1/27/15
I think of Grell as a guy who looks kind of like a girl and likes guys.
Posted 1/27/15

cielinadress wrote:

I use really any pronouns, but usually female. I heard somewhere that Toboso confirmed Grelle is a transsexual female, but I don't know for sure because I haven't seen a source. Not that it really matters; I can't read her blog since it's all Japanese.

Do you guys think there are pronouns we should all be using for him/her/them/etc.?

and

What gender do you consider Grelle?


I can't any longer tell in anime,manga or real life. I just give up trying to figure it out.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.