First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Is A Straight Pride Shirt Appropriate for School?
Posted 1/22/15
I learn of a lower court case where a school tried to prohibit a student from wearing a "straight Pride" Shirt but failed, while another school succeeded in banning a shirt titled"Drugs Suck" due to offensive language. I don't know about you, but shouldn't it be backwards?
7600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/22/15
If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads
Posted 1/22/15

supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.
7600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/22/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


I'm undecided on my views on gay people. They can do whatever they want just don't try to make me change my views
Posted 1/22/15
I'm not a fan of most forms of censorship, so I think let 'em wear it. That said; if you wear garments that draw attention, you're going to get attention- good and bad.
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/22/15

CSDiggity wrote:

I'm not a fan of most forms of censorship, so I think let 'em wear it. That said; if you wear garments that draw attention, you're going to get attention- good and bad.


This more or less addresses the appropriateness of it, not whether or not it should be censored. Keep in mind this is a school, and they have the right to prohibit you from wearing inappropriate symbols, much like a workplace.
15291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwest USA
Offline
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/22/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


So it's okay to wear a Gay Pride shirt but not okay to wear a Straight Pride shirt?

As to whether it should be in the school? I could care less; each school has the right to choose what is and is not acceptable. For instance, the school I graduated from banned tank tops / spaghetti straps and other articles of clothing that would bare the shoulders. Same with flip-flops and thronged shoes. Did I care? Not much, it's the school's decision and if the parents of the children do not agree with it, well, there are various parent-teacher organizations that can police the policies put forth by the schools.
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/22/15

t1ckles wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


So it's okay to wear a Gay Pride shirt but not okay to wear a Straight Pride shirt?


Yes, because Straight Pride Is No Different Than White Pride. Put the puzzle together. And I just said why it is inappropriate.
15291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwest USA
Offline
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/22/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


t1ckles wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


So it's okay to wear a Gay Pride shirt but not okay to wear a Straight Pride shirt?


Yes, because Straight Pride Is No Different Than White Pride. Put the puzzle together. And I just said why it is inappropriate.


So ... what if the person that wears the Straight Pride shirt is non-Caucasian?
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/22/15

t1ckles wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


t1ckles wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


So it's okay to wear a Gay Pride shirt but not okay to wear a Straight Pride shirt?


Yes, because Straight Pride Is No Different Than White Pride. Put the puzzle together. And I just said why it is inappropriate.


So ... what if the person that wears the Straight Pride shirt is non-Caucasian?


Seriously? You're 32, stop trolling me. Is it that hard to misinterpret what I just said?
15291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwest USA
Offline
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/25/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Seriously? You're 32, stop trolling me. Is it that hard to misinterpret what I just said?


I simply fail to see how "Straight Pride" equates to "White Pride." Perhaps you could explain this to me? I am certainly open to debate and/or even recanting my particular comments on the subject if the argument is strong enough to dissuade me.
Posted 1/22/15
A straight pride shirt? Why not. Not anymore risque than a gay pride shirt imho.
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 1/22/15

supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to his threads. No offence to him though. lol.
19493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 1/22/15
I say sure, as long as it isn't derogatory towards gay people.
Posted 1/22/15 , edited 1/22/15

YayForKittens wrote:

I say sure, as long as it isn't derogatory towards gay people.


But it is, like white pride is to minorities.


t1ckles wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Seriously? You're 32, stop trolling me. Is it that hard to misinterpret what I just said?


I simply fail to see how "Straight Pride" equates to "White Pride." Perhaps you could explain this to me? I am certainly open to debate and/or even recanting my particular comments on the subject if the argument is strong enough to dissuade me.


It is the same in the aspect that they both attempt to prove that whatever group is superior. There's a reason why White Pride Shirts aren't allowed at school but Black pride shirts are. It has everything to do with perceived intention.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.