First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Is A Straight Pride Shirt Appropriate for School?
536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/23/15 , edited 1/27/15
The fact of the matter is, the term "Straight Pride" began as a retaliation against the civil rights movement for gay people, not because they're proud of being white. The reason why Gay Pride exists is because it's a way to overcome the discrimination and bigotry that has been put upon the LGBT community for many centuries now.

Any minority that has overcome oppression warrants pride in themselves and a celebration for each historical benchmark achieved. Any straight person that wants to pretend he or she is being oppressed because gays are making progress toward equality, and they are proud of it, is nothing less than a bigot.

"Straight Pride" is a mockery of LGBT citizens and our struggles. It is disingenuous because it assumes that heterosexual citizens have had to go through—and are going through—what we have had to go through to achieve equality. Hell, it assumes the majority had to achieve equality at all. Wearing "Straight Pride" shirts should elicit strange looks for the same reason that anyone proposing a “White History Month” should elicit strange looks—it’s asinine. It is asinine because it blatantly ignores history.

What's next? A "Straight Pride Parade"? Why? What purpose would it serve? Life is a straight pride parade. Walk through a mall holding the hand of someone of the opposite sex. Will that generate a dirty look? Bring home someone of the opposite sex to meet your family. Will there be disapproval? Do you have to come out of the closet to announce you’re straight?

My point is that heterosexual relationships are encouraged and accepted in society. And while there is more approval for LGBT relationships than in past decades, there is still not full tolerance and acceptance for those relationships in society. That's why there's GAY PRIDE.
48492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 1/23/15 , edited 1/27/15
There is NO straight pride culture. Wherever it does exist it should considered a hate group and rightly so because its purpose is to give them an excuse to oppress minorities under the guise that it's straight people who are living under oppressed conditions. There is absolutely no legitimate justification for a straight pride shirt aside it being a freedom of expression issue. If you want to wear a shirt simply to test the limits of FoE go ahead, but other than that you're simply being a dick (admit it). Don't be a dick.
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 1/24/15
In the UK we have school uniform. Other than that there's freedom of expression, equality and all that. As long as the context wasn't in a homophobic sense it would be alright.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/24/15

animegirl2222 wrote:

It's just a shirt... it's not offensive towards gay people, in fact, I'm sure some of them would probably find the guy funny, likely for his arrogance. If you're allowed to be proudly gay, why can't you be proudly straight, or proudly bisexual?


Well, I mean...you can be proudly straight, of course. You can even be loudly and expressively so. That doesn't mean, however, that a person with "straight pride" which expresses the same loudly and passionately will have grounds to be taken seriously. It would be like giving yourself a first place medal for winning a race when you started just past the finish line. You can pour a bucket of ice over your own head, have a marching band come in and play your favorite song, do a dance, and then proudly point to your medal as you talk to reporters about how great you consider your achievement in light of your struggles.

One can certainly express pride in being straight, but they'll look like a tool for doing so.
Posted 1/24/15
The people decide what is and is not permissible, not crunchyroll. A straight pride shirt would be seen as a sarcastic mockery of gay pride, which it is. Gotta live with some double standards I'm afraid, they arent going anywhere.
18112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/24/15
You should be able to wear whatever kind shirt you want as long as there is no nudity no foul language and no violant depiction in my opinion. If your american ill save you a lesson in humility. Freedom is a double edged sword to opress one from saying one thing to say another makes a hypocrite and a oppressor. Dont like dont look dont like what someone says dont listen. Thats way it should be now we all try to cater to each individual. The problem with that is when you try to cater to everyone youll find quickly stress rises things get slowed what some like others dont. So heres the simple solution freedom. Let those do what they want and be accountable for there own actions and depictions. Like i said in a school environment i could care less if as a adult or when i was in school if i would of seen a shirt with a gun or a shirt saying ban guns if id seen a shirt saying gay pride or straight pride if i saw a shirt saying white power Asian power black power or drugs rock or drugs suck. The mentality to me is each individual is his own spirit what you do with your life is your lot. is a t shirt someone wears really that important and affect your mind and mental fortitude so much. If so id re evaluate my life and its direction and how i was influenced. just saying.
Posted 1/24/15

anbu9000 wrote:

You should be able to wear whatever kind shirt you want as long as there is no nudity no foul language and no violant depiction in my opinion. If your american ill save you a lesson in humility. Freedom is a double edged sword to opress one from saying one thing to say another makes a hypocrite and a oppressor. Dont like dont look dont like what someone says dont listen. Thats way it should be now we all try to cater to each individual. The problem with that is when you try to cater to everyone youll find quickly stress rises things get slowed what some like others dont. So heres the simple solution freedom. Let those do what they want and be accountable for there own actions and depictions. Like i said in a school environment i could care less if as a adult or when i was in school if i would of seen a shirt with a gun or a shirt saying ban guns if id seen a shirt saying gay pride or straight pride if i saw a shirt saying white power Asian power black power or drugs rock or drugs suck. The mentality to me is each individual is his own spirit what you do with your life is your lot. is a t shirt someone wears really that important and affect your mind and mental fortitude so much. If so id re evaluate my life and its direction and how i was influenced. just saying.


You should be able to. It doesn't mean everyone will be as open minded.
18112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/24/15
indeed and thats sad how long it takes us to learn to step back and humble ourselves and let go of the hate and the perceptions.
9738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Around
Offline
Posted 1/25/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


How is white pride oppressing to minorities? Am I supposed to be ashamed of being white?
Posted 1/26/15 , edited 1/26/15

CptSpeirs wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


How is white pride oppressing to minorities? Am I supposed to be ashamed of being white?


If you don't know the history of white pride then perhaps we should have a white history month. It has negative connotations due to it being used primarily by white separatist, white nationalist, neo-Nazi and white supremacist organizations.

They say white pride is no inherently racist, which could be true, but it also true that the person expressing white pride usually is.

.
9738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Around
Offline
Posted 1/26/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


CptSpeirs wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


How is white pride oppressing to minorities? Am I supposed to be ashamed of being white?


If you don't know the history of white pride then perhaps we should have a white history month. It has negative connotations due to it being used primarily by white separatist, white nationalist, neo-Nazi and white supremacist organizations.

They say white pride is no inherently racist, which could be true, but it also true that the person expressing white pride usually is.

.


So accorded to your logic black pride holds negative connotations too, because of groups like the Black panthers?
_xiro_ 
40134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 1/27/15 , edited 1/27/15
Fairly well divided opinions here.

"Straight pride" is somewhat offensive to people, because the entire purpose of "gay pride" is to reinforce the idea that it's okay to be gay. If you're straight, every day you live is an embodiment of straight pride. You don't need to show pride for being straight, because that is aleady the vast norm. Over 95% of Americans identify as straight, if you don't understand how it's the "norm".

We need a "gay pride" movement to exist continually just so the vast majority doesn't discriminate against gay people. If you go somewhere holding hands with your love, as a straight person, are you going to generate any dirty looks in your direction? Are people going to sneer and make fun of you behind your back (or even to your face)? No, because it's completely normal for that to exist in society.

If you're straight, you don't suffer any of the same hardships that a gay person does. You didn't have to "come out of the closet". You don't have to be wary of your location when with your loved one, for fear of your own safety. No one is against your straightness (except some dumbass tumblr feminazis, perhaps). You don't need straight pride, when you practically live it every day. My favorite comparison is with rich people. Do rich people need monetary assistance, like most in the lower-to-middle classes do? No, but they claim it anyway with tax refunds and whatever loophole they can find. They simply don't need it, but wish to do it anyway, and that's really detrimental to the entire system.

This whole "straight pride" movement was literally just a kneejerk response by straight, white people who never understood the purpose of "gay pride" in the first place. People who were just annoyed that gay people were getting recognition. People who don't understand the hardships of being gay in the first place. The kinds of people who would say "I just hate PDA in general, it's not because they're gay", but you know that's bullshit.

Is it technically wrong to have "straight pride"? Morally, no. However, the impact "straight pride" has means a competitiveness with "gay pride"(and it even takes away from it), not a coalescence. It's simply counterproductive.
_xiro_ 
40134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 1/27/15 , edited 1/27/15

CptSpeirs wrote:So accorded to your logic black pride holds negative connotations too, because of groups like the Black panthers?


This is called a "straw man argument", and you should really hold in your opinions if you have nothing intelligent to contribute.


LifeOtaku wrote:What's next? A "Straight Pride Parade"? Why? What purpose would it serve? Life is a straight pride parade. Walk through a mall holding the hand of someone of the opposite sex. Will that generate a dirty look? Bring home someone of the opposite sex to meet your family. Will there be disapproval? Do you have to come out of the closet to announce you’re straight?


If you're gonna quote an article almost exactly you could at least link it as a source instead of working it into your argument as if you made it up yourself. :/
547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/15

t1ckles wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


supes12 wrote:

If they like being straight why not. But damn you and your threads


Because I see it as oppressing to gay people in the same vein as white pride is oppressing to all minorities.


So it's okay to wear a Gay Pride shirt but not okay to wear a Straight Pride shirt?

As to whether it should be in the school? I could care less; each school has the right to choose what is and is not acceptable. For instance, the school I graduated from banned tank tops / spaghetti straps and other articles of clothing that would bare the shoulders. Same with flip-flops and thronged shoes. Did I care? Not much, it's the school's decision and if the parents of the children do not agree with it, well, there are various parent-teacher organizations that can police the policies put forth by the schools.


because gay people need it straight ppl dont wearing straight pride would be like rubbing in all advantages they get for being straight its like why white pride seen as offensive but not black
547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/15

_xiro_ wrote:

Fairly well divided opinions here.

"Straight pride" is somewhat offensive to people, because the entire purpose of "gay pride" is to reinforce the idea that it's okay to be gay. If you're straight, every day you live is an embodiment of straight pride. You don't need to show pride for being straight, because that is aleady the vast norm. Over 95% of Americans identify as straight, if you don't understand how it's the "norm".

We need a "gay pride" movement to exist continually just so the vast majority doesn't discriminate against gay people. If you go somewhere holding hands with your love, as a straight person, are you going to generate any dirty looks in your direction? Are people going to sneer and make fun of you behind your back (or even to your face)? No, because it's completely normal for that to exist in society.

If you're straight, you don't suffer any of the same hardships that a gay person does. You didn't have to "come out of the closet". You don't have to be wary of your location when with your loved one, for fear of your own safety. No one is against your straightness (except some dumbass tumblr feminazis, perhaps). You don't need straight pride, when you practically live it every day. My favorite comparison is with rich people. Do rich people need monetary assistance, like most in the lower-to-middle classes do? No, but they claim it anyway with tax refunds and whatever loophole they can find. They simply don't need it, but wish to do it anyway, and that's really detrimental to the entire system.

This whole "straight pride" movement was literally just a kneejerk response by straight, white people who never understood the purpose of "gay pride" in the first place. People who were just annoyed that gay people were getting recognition. People who don't understand the hardships of being gay in the first place. The kinds of people who would say "I just hate PDA in general, it's not because they're gay", but you know that's bullshit.

Is it technically wrong to have "straight pride"? Morally, no. However, the impact "straight pride" has means a competitiveness with "gay pride"(and it even takes away from it), not a coalescence. It's simply counterproductive.


this im gray asexual aromantic an wish i had the recognition that straight ppl have everyday an everything they had hetro ppl dont understand that life is a giant straight pride parade but its so accepted it becomes invisible unless u actively search it out or pointed out
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.