First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Is A Straight Pride Shirt Appropriate for School?
536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/29/15 , edited 1/29/15

masked185 wrote:


LifeOtaku wrote:


masked185 wrote:


loiloiloi6 wrote:

Yes! People need to learn to be more accepting of sexualities, if you can wear yours on a shirt good for you! As a gay sophomore, I'd love to see someone walk around school with a shirt like that


If one says that people need to be more accepting of alternate sexualities, then it should also be the case that those of differing sexualities need to be more accepting of those that find anything beyond traditional sexuality to be disturbing, gross, abnormal, etc...

The same way you might not want to see someone wearing something that reminds you of the traditional distaste for alternate sexualities, some of us don't really want to be force fed reminders of alternate sexualities.

Please keep in mind the above is not meant as an attack on those of alternate sexualities. I just am trying to make a point :-).


Let me correct you for one second, there is no such thing as "alternate sexualities". What you're referring to is sexual orientations.

Also, accepting gay people for who they are creates a world of peace, love and acceptance. What you're saying is that we should tolerate people's bigotry against gay people while they use "gross and "disturbing" as their justification, which is highly offensive and and disrespectful to the LGBT community.

How about these homophobic bigots just get over the fact that gay people exist and just move on? That sounds like a good idea to me.


This is the real issue here. You must accept us! But we don't need to accept you :D. That's the real problem and what will continue to cause "battles" between the two sides. Your blatant statement that alternate sexual orientations is completely normal is a slap in the face to conservatives and traditional ideals. Yet you could care less? Yes I'm suppose to 100% accept your position? That's ludicrous.

You must accept me, but I won't accept you. That has never worked or benefited anyone in the history of anything. Doesn't work in politics, doesn't work in religion, won't work in sexuality arguments.

I personally am fully conservative and traditional. That being said I accept that other people have differing ideals than my own and try not to clap them in the face with mine. The problem I continually get slapped with theirs. How long will it be before those traditionalists that would be at the very least neutral will suddenly become aggressive simply due to continual jabs? You're hurting yourself in the longrun not helping to unite both sides.



History repeats itself. The traditional conservatives battled with black people's rights, women's rights, and now they're battling gay people's rights. And guess what....the traditional conservatives always lose because equality and acceptance always wins. That's something that you need to get your head wrapped around in. We're in the middle of a civil rights movement for gay people, and we're not going to hide in the closet just because you're so easily offended when you see two men holding hands. We're living in a progressive society where almost 40 states in America have legalized gay marriage so far, and we're only getting started. Don't like it? Too bad. It has nothing to do with you.
Posted 1/29/15
I don't think it is necessary, what's the point?? yeah you're proud to be who you are but I see it more like "if gay people can do it then I can do it too!!!11"

Do they know why gays do it in the first place? as far as I know, straights have never been discriminated which is the main reason why we have "Gay pride" to show that no matter how much the majority of the world hate them, they feel proud to be who they are but heterosexuals have never faced such discrimination so I don't think it is necessary to say "I'm proud to be straight" when you are already fully accepted in society, so the majority is actually proud that you are straight.

Straights don't face hate crimes, or disgusted looks from strangers when they hold hands with their significant other. I see it more like a slap on the face if someone wears a "straight pride" shirt.

I would prefer to wear a shirt that says "I'm proud to be asexual" or transsexual, bisexual, transgender etc because they are also a minority who are often ignored or looked down upon.
Posted 1/29/15

masked185 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


That would infer that double standards don't exist for a reason, which they do. I'm tired of the whole double standards = automatically wrong thing.


Alright, enlighten me. What reason do double standards have that aren't ridiculous and bogus? As a tall skinny white male I'm at the losing end of so many double standards it's not even funny.



Perceived intention is key. They are attempting to trivialized and undermine the gay rights movement. White Pride, while not inherently racist, is usually is, thus it is why it is banned in school. If you believe white pride shirts are allowed in schools, than you're helping to perpetuate white privilege and racism.
Posted 1/29/15

kirika202 wrote:

I don't think it is necessary, what's the point?? yeah you're proud to be who you are but I see it more like "if gay people can do it then I can do it too!!!11"

Do they know why gays do it in the first place? as far as I know, straights have never been discriminated which is the main reason why we have "Gay pride" to show that no matter how much the majority of the world hate them, they feel proud to be who they are but heterosexuals have never faced such discrimination so I don't think it is necessary to say "I'm proud to be straight" when you are already fully accepted in society, so the majority is actually proud that you are straight.

Straights don't face hate crimes, or disgusted looks from strangers when they hold hands with their significant other. I see it more like a slap on the face if someone wears a "straight pride" shirt.

I would prefer to wear a shirt that says "I'm proud to be asexual" or transsexual, bisexual, transgender etc because they are also a minority who are often ignored or looked down upon.


Straights do it to undermine the gay rights music and establish that heterosexuality is superior. It's similar to white pride, which has been perpetuated by white supremacy groups worldwide.
Posted 1/29/15
I'm in favor of school uniforms due to the fact girls look cute in them.
104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Pennsylvania, Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/29/15

masked185 wrote:


loiloiloi6 wrote:

Yes! People need to learn to be more accepting of sexualities, if you can wear yours on a shirt good for you! As a gay sophomore, I'd love to see someone walk around school with a shirt like that


If one says that people need to be more accepting of alternate sexualities, then it should also be the case that those of differing sexualities need to be more accepting of those that find anything beyond traditional sexuality to be disturbing, gross, abnormal, etc...

The same way you might not want to see someone wearing something that reminds you of the traditional distaste for alternate sexualities, some of us don't really want to be force fed reminders of alternate sexualities.

Please keep in mind the above is not meant as an attack on those of alternate sexualities. I just am trying to make a point :-).


I don't think it's as much a reminder that alternate sexualities exist, just a bit of a pride thing, and being able to own up to your own sexuality. More and more sexualities are being accepted into society, and I couldn't be any happier about that And don't worry, you made your point. Some very valid ones :)
Sailor Candy Moderator
215171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 5/27/16
op nuked. locked
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.