First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
The Most Common Type of Racism?
Posted 1/23/15
I heard someone say that a common type of racism is people who say thing like "a majority of violent crime is committed by blacks" depending on how they say it. What's your opinion on this?
65120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / None ya business.
Offline
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/25/15
Statistics = Rascism.

Yay~
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/24/15

CherryDynamite8 wrote:

Statistics = Rascism.

Yay~


I said it depends on how you use say it and use it. I could believe it to a certain extent. I ask, "Does the statistic really matter?" I seen people trying to justify perverse views on ethnic minorities based on so called statistics, even accurate ones. There's a reason I can't say "Well, black kids should pull up their pants" and not be labeled racist in that regard.


Racism in my view, instead of dying out completely, evolved. You see people quoting studies and facts as if it mattered.
65120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / None ya business.
Offline
Posted 1/24/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


CherryDynamite8 wrote:

Statistics = Rascism.

Yay~


I said it depends on how you use say it and use it. I could believe it to a certain extent. I ask, "Does the statistic really matter?" I seen people trying to justify perverse views on ethnic minorities based on so called statistics, even accurate ones. There's a reason I can't say "Well, black kids should pull up their pants" and not be labeled racist in that regard.


Racism in my view, instead of dying out completely, evolved. You see people quoting studies and facts as if it mattered.


To be very honest, I don't actually care enough to discuss this at length. o.o I just wanted to be sarcastic.
Posted 1/24/15

CherryDynamite8 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


CherryDynamite8 wrote:

Statistics = Rascism.

Yay~


I said it depends on how you use say it and use it. I could believe it to a certain extent. I ask, "Does the statistic really matter?" I seen people trying to justify perverse views on ethnic minorities based on so called statistics, even accurate ones. There's a reason I can't say "Well, black kids should pull up their pants" and not be labeled racist in that regard.


Racism in my view, instead of dying out completely, evolved. You see people quoting studies and facts as if it mattered.


To be very honest, I don't actually care enough to discuss this at length. o.o I just wanted to be sarcastic.


No woman will love me now. I'm used goods.
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/24/15

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.


39713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/24/15
People have the misconception that stereotyping = racism. Unless I specifically say something like "Koreans are the supreme master race, all of you other shitty races need to work for me" Or something that expresses how I think one race is superior to another, it's not racism. If i say "black people are fast" or "black people like to steal bicycles" that's not racism. That's stereotyping.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/15

seekerperson7 wrote:


There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.




What people don't understand is statistics will always be skewed to favor their creators objectives. I never understood how polling 10.000 people is the equivalent of knowing what millions think. In terms of non polling, data driven statistics, they still have their weaknesses. For example, if a rich teen commits a crime it is more likely to be exponghed from their record or all together dismissed due to being able to afford a good lawyer. On the other hand, poor people often see a lawyer the day of trial and have to take plea deals or confess due to insufficient legal teams. I was reading yesterday how a man was freed after 37 years due to evidence that exonerated him. I bet he was poor and had a court appointed lawyer, this stuff happens all the time.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/24/15

ShiroKado wrote:

If i say "black people are fast" or "black people like to steal bicycles" that's not racism. That's stereotyping.
Racism: result of stupidity, as seen here.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/24/15

ShiroKado wrote:

People have the misconception that stereotyping = racism. Unless I specifically say something like "Koreans are the supreme master race, all of you other shitty races need to work for me" Or something that expresses how I think one race is superior to another, it's not racism. If i say "black people are fast" or "black people like to steal bicycles" that's not racism. That's stereotyping.


The jumping thing, you can use pseudo-science about muscle ligaments,blah,blah,blah,but "blacks like to steal bicycles" is 100% racist.

8156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Connecticut, USA
Offline
Posted 1/24/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I heard someone say that a common type of racism is people who say thing like "a majority of violent crime is committed by blacks" depending on how they say it. What's your opinion on this?


I don't think that that is the most common type of racism, but it is racist. I have heard that statistically things are pretty close when it comes to all the races and crime. What is disproportionate is the punishment that blacks endure when it comes to the penalties incurred by them for committing crime when compared to all other races.
Posted 1/24/15
Violent crimes...like what? Be speciiiiiiiiific
Posted 1/24/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I heard someone say that a common type of racism is people who say thing like "a majority of violent crime is committed by blacks" depending on how they say it. What's your opinion on this?


Is being somewhat accurate considered racism? Blacks make up about 13% of the US population, yet according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics blacks committed approximately 52% of recorded homicides between 1980 and 2008. This doesn't even include statistics for domestic violence. I grew up in Southside Chicago where there's a considerable black population and I'm actually friends with quite a few single black mothers. They didn't end up that way for no reason.


Posted 1/24/15
Saying _____ smells or _____ works at nail salon is the most common form of racism I've personally observed. They're not the harmful type of racism, though. They're just... the ignorant type... or provocative.


For me, the harmful form of racism is... not about what someone says. It's about what someone does. Example... persecution... (Neo-nazi and their problems with immigrants), denying someone a job because of their race, not befriending someone because you are ashamed of someone's race or dislike that person's race/culture...


I met a Neo-Nazi on the internet before, and it was horrible... makes me paranoid about people in general, lol. These people take the pure race thing very seriously...
Posted 1/24/15 , edited 1/24/15

themediumdipper wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I heard someone say that a common type of racism is people who say thing like "a majority of violent crime is committed by blacks" depending on how they say it. What's your opinion on this?


Is being somewhat accurate considered racism? Blacks make up about 13% of the US population, yet according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics blacks committed approximately 52% of recorded homicides between 1980 and 2008. This doesn't even include statistics for domestic violence. I grew up in Southside Chicago where there's a considerable black population and I'm actually friends with quite a few single black mothers. They didn't end up that way for no reason.



Read it again. It said depending on how they say it. Meaning racists now will attempt to justify their views based on statistics. The most common racist person isn't overtly racist, but rather secretive in their views. They are the same people who claim not to be racist on account of tokenism.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.