First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Does a bad ending ruin an anime for you?
5368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
When posed with this question, objectively I would say it's the journey that matters the most and a bad ending doesn't necessarily define the quality of an anime as a whole. But, when you're nearing the final episodes of a show, it's understandable that you're likely invested into the characters and plot to a degree, right? In that regard I'd argue it's hard to remain objective, and many of us would likely be subjective in our opinions if we don't receive the closure we had expected in some way, shape, or form. So if I had to personally reflect back on the anime I've watched and how their endings determined my enjoyment of them, the majority would likely favor the notion that an ending can absolutely ruin an entire experience for me. Shows like Oreimo, Akame ga Kill!, and Black Bullet instantly come to mind and I've definitely rated them based heavily on the way they've came to a close. This may be a shallow perspective but it is my own. With that said, does a bad ending ruin an anime for you?
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/15

tuhbakee wrote:

When posed with this question, objectively I would say it's the journey that matters the most and a bad ending doesn't necessarily define the quality of an anime as a whole. But, when you're nearing the final episodes of a show, it's understandable that you're likely invested into the characters and plot to a degree, right? In that regard I'd argue it's hard to remain objective, and many of us would likely be subjective in our opinions if we don't receive the closure we had expected in some way, shape, or form. So if I had to personally reflect back on the anime I've watched and how their endings determined my enjoyment of them, the majority would likely favor the notion that an ending can absolutely ruin an entire experience for me. Shows like Oreimo, Akame ga Kill!, and Black Bullet instantly come to mind and I've definitely rated them based heavily on the way they've came to a close. This may be a shallow perspective but it is my own. With that said, does a bad ending ruin an anime for you?


to be fair black bullet was lackluster the whole series, not just the ending....

and yes, perfect example: mirai nikki, that dragon ball z fight was awful

5368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/15 , edited 1/25/15

Siawo wrote:


tuhbakee wrote:

When posed with this question, objectively I would say it's the journey that matters the most and a bad ending doesn't necessarily define the quality of an anime as a whole. But, when you're nearing the final episodes of a show, it's understandable that you're likely invested into the characters and plot to a degree, right? In that regard I'd argue it's hard to remain objective, and many of us would likely be subjective in our opinions if we don't receive the closure we had expected in some way, shape, or form. So if I had to personally reflect back on the anime I've watched and how their endings determined my enjoyment of them, the majority would likely favor the notion that an ending can absolutely ruin an entire experience for me. Shows like Oreimo, Akame ga Kill!, and Black Bullet instantly come to mind and I've definitely rated them based heavily on the way they've came to a close. This may be a shallow perspective but it is my own. With that said, does a bad ending ruin an anime for you?


to be fair black bullet was lackluster the whole series, not just the ending....

and yes, perfect example: mirai nikki, that dragon ball z fight was awful


Black Bullet was a mediocre anime as a whole with a few great moments sprinkled in and an awful ending that solidified its flaws. Truthfully, it was so forgettable that I cannot even recall many exact details from it. What I do remember is that I enjoyed it for what it was until the final episode came around that left me uncomfortably annoyed. It had a lot of potential but I believe was just executed very poorly.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
For most series, the ending is pivotal. I wont necessarily say that a bad ending ruins an anime but if an ending is lackluster or god forbid a read the manga ending my final opinion on the show will significantly drop. Slice of life anime and strictly comedy-based anime can get away with this to an extent but most of the time there really should be a conclusion to a series. Cliffhanger endings are fine as long as there is a confirmed 2nd season. If you end your series on a cliffhanger without knowing if you can continue your story in the future you're gonna have a bad time.
5368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/15 , edited 1/25/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

If you end your series on a cliffhanger without knowing if you can continue your story in the future you're gonna have a bad time.

Those are the absolute worse. I tend to see this a lot in LN adaptations where the anime is basically forcing you to go read the source material if you want any closure.
21709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/25/15 , edited 1/31/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

For most series, the ending is pivotal. I wont necessarily say that a bad ending ruins an anime but if an ending is lackluster or god forbid a read the manga ending my final opinion on the show will significantly drop. Slice of life anime and strictly comedy-based anime can get away with this to an extent but most of the time there really should be a conclusion to a series. Cliffhanger endings are fine as long as there is a confirmed 2nd season. If you end your series on a cliffhanger without knowing if you can continue your story in the future you're gonna have a bad time.


Definitely this. I could love a show, but if it has , what I feel, is a crappy ending, it'll totally drop off my buy list (looking at you, Valvrave the Liberator)

450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
Oh God, yes. Huge percentage of my enjoyment of an anime is the ending. That is why I check the ending every time I watch (finished) anime. I'm always OK with the spoilers.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 1/25/15 , edited 1/31/15

tuhbakee wrote:


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

If you end your series on a cliffhanger without knowing if you can continue your story in the future you're gonna have a bad time.

Those are the absolute worse. I tend to see this a lot in LN adaptations where the anime is basically forcing you to go read the source material if you want any closure.



An adaptation should be able to stand on its own two feet without relying on viewers to scout the source material for answers to plot questions. If an anime fails to do that it isn't worth your time.
5126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alabama, USA
Online
Posted 1/25/15
Generally for me, yes. I watch a lot of romance anime and its very disheartening if you get to the end of a series and there is no kiss or something. Also, like has been mentioned cliff hanger ending I despise unless there is a season 2.

It's pretty bad, but nearly all anime I have watched the story has never been completed. It gets to a certain point and boom, cliff-hanger. Thankfully though, a lot of recent series that I have watched have at least had some type of closure
Posted 1/25/15
Yes, for me, if it's cut short of the ending seems to be imbalanced, then I might not like the series as much. But, that's just me. I feel bad for the 70's Tekkaman fans who didn't get an ending...
Le_Dom 
16888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Online
Posted 1/25/15
The ending is paramount.

A good story requires a good conclusion. In other words, a rushed ending or a ''read the manga'' ending can ruin the experience.
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
No actually. Claymore for instances is one anime I recommend all the time. Superb build up, shitting ending. It's worth the ride.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
Yes, the ending is really important to me and absolutely determines if I like the show or want to watch it again.
56905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
I have seen so many anime that have unfulfilling endings that I prefer focusing on what happens during the show itself, since the odds are good that the ending will be dookie (if it is present at all).
79737 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
It really depends on whether the "bad" ending fits the show as a whole or not. All tragedies have a bad ending after all.

Now if we are talking about endings, including happy ones, that don't fit the show, then yes those endings ruin the show for me. It makes it seem like the trip wasn't worth taking.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.