Post Reply Looking for a good anime to watch
yorik 
23146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
As the title says, I'm looking for a good anime to watch that is similar in style to Hajime No Ippo, Shijō Saikyō no Deshi: Kenichi and Eyeshield 21. I'll start by listing some of the ones I've seen and like.

Hajime No Ippo, Shijō Saikyō no Deshi: Kenichi, Code Geass, Death Note, Bleach, Dragonball +Z/GT, Naruto + Shippuden, One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Parasyte the Maxim, Shingeki no Kyojin, Tokyo Ghoul, Eyeshield 21, Tenjou Tenge, Sword Art Online, Reborn, Fairy Tail, Full Metal Alchemist, No Game No Life, Neon Genesis and possibly some more that I am forgetting at the moment.

I've looked at a couple of anime that are similar to Tokyo Ghoul and they are alright, but nothing grabs my attention really. Main overall similar plot I'm looking for is weak kid gets thrown into a world he know nothing about, slowly starts becoming good at what he's doing and ends up being a badass by the end. I'd prefer longer shows to shorter ones.

So, anyone know something that would be good?
85 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Middle of nowhere...
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
D. Gray-Man is a really great series (both anime and manga).
The anime is around 100 episodes long, and the manga is still ongoing. It is set in an alternate ending of the 20th century, with demons and exorcists. The main character starts out as a no-name exorcist but becomes a boss later on. His past is another mystery that turns out to be something essential to the plot. I suggest watching the anime, since it's pretty close to the manga, and also reading the manga to continue the story.

Pandora Hearts is my favorite series, although it differs from your typical character+new world+fights=badass formula. You will like it if you appreciate plot twists, psychological themes, tragedy/theme of fate, and gothic atmospheres. The main character starts out as a 15 year-old kid who is pretty oblivious to the world around him. He eventually discovers the darker aspects of his world and the truth about himself. He is also literally thrown into a different world. I recommend reading the manga as well as watching the anime since the anime has an amazing sound track and the manga is better in terms of plot (the anime is around 25 episodes long so it doesn't finish the story).

Hope these recommendations will inspire you to discover more stories to watch/read

yorik 
23146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/15
They both sound pretty good, I'll give them a look at.
536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/26/15 , edited 1/26/15

yorik wrote:I'm looking for is weak kid gets thrown into a world he know nothing about, slowly starts becoming good at what he's doing and ends up being a badass by the end. I'd prefer longer shows to shorter ones.


Have you seen Deadman Wonderland, Future Diary, or Fooly Cooly?
yorik 
23146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/26/15 , edited 1/26/15

LifeOtaku wrote:


yorik wrote:I'm looking for is weak kid gets thrown into a world he know nothing about, slowly starts becoming good at what he's doing and ends up being a badass by the end. I'd prefer longer shows to shorter ones.


Have you seen Deadman Wonderland, Future Diary, or Fooly Cooly?


Deadman Wonderland and Future Diary are already on my list of shows to watch and I've seen an episode or two, like I said above they just didn't really grab my attention. Fooly Cooly though I'll add to have a look at.

Edit: Alright, that's a no on Fooly Cooly, it's just too silly for me.
536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/26/15

yorik wrote:


LifeOtaku wrote:


yorik wrote:I'm looking for is weak kid gets thrown into a world he know nothing about, slowly starts becoming good at what he's doing and ends up being a badass by the end. I'd prefer longer shows to shorter ones.


Have you seen Deadman Wonderland, Future Diary, or Fooly Cooly?


Deadman Wonderland and Future Diary are already on my list of shows to watch and I've seen an episode or two, like I said above they just didn't really grab my attention. Fooly Cooly though I'll add to have a look at.

Edit: Alright, that's a no on Fooly Cooly, it's just too silly for me.


What about Guilty Crown?
Posted 1/26/15
- Btooom.
- Steins;Gate
- Darker than black

yorik 
23146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/26/15 , edited 1/26/15

LifeOtaku wrote:


yorik wrote:


LifeOtaku wrote:


yorik wrote:I'm looking for is weak kid gets thrown into a world he know nothing about, slowly starts becoming good at what he's doing and ends up being a badass by the end. I'd prefer longer shows to shorter ones.


Have you seen Deadman Wonderland, Future Diary, or Fooly Cooly?


Deadman Wonderland and Future Diary are already on my list of shows to watch and I've seen an episode or two, like I said above they just didn't really grab my attention. Fooly Cooly though I'll add to have a look at.

Edit: Alright, that's a no on Fooly Cooly, it's just too silly for me.


What about Guilty Crown?


Ok I'll list all the ones I've looked at, probably should have included them in the first post but oh well. Guilty Crown, Deadman Wonderland, Gantz, Shiki, Pupa, and Mirai Nikki. I've seen a couple of episodes of each of these and while they are not bad, they are just not grabbing my attention. Ones I have yet to look at are D.Gray Man, Pandora Hearts, Btooom, Steins;Gate and Darker than black. Some of the shorter anime, like Deadman Wonderland, I will probably still watch fully because they aren't that long really.
42646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/26/15

yorik wrote:
Main overall similar plot I'm looking for is weak kid gets thrown into a world he know nothing about, slowly starts becoming good at what he's doing and ends up being a badass by the end. I'd prefer longer shows to shorter ones.

Maybe not as action-packed as the others you started the thread with, but this certainly fits the overall theme (and length) you are looking for:

www.hulu.com/hikaru-no-go
18372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 1/26/15
Fate/Zero
yorik 
23146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/27/15

asharka wrote:


yorik wrote:
Main overall similar plot I'm looking for is weak kid gets thrown into a world he know nothing about, slowly starts becoming good at what he's doing and ends up being a badass by the end. I'd prefer longer shows to shorter ones.

Maybe not as action-packed as the others you started the thread with, but this certainly fits the overall theme (and length) you are looking for:

www.hulu.com/hikaru-no-go


Hikaru no go is not too bad, it might be what I was looking for. It reminds me a little of Hunter X Hunter.
You must be logged in to post.