First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply What is killing Toonami??
5649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/27/15
Looks like they added kill la kill. I dont see why they cut some time. What are they gonna show in its place? Family guy?
24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/15
Increased competition from Hulu, Crunchyroll, Netflix, Funimation, Viz... These days I think people catch the first few episodes on Toonami then watch the rest on whatever streaming service they use.
8386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 1/28/15 , edited 1/28/15

Tsukento wrote:


Still_Ginger wrote:

Idk. I never watch television. Why would I wanna wait for a specific time once a week to watch anime when I could watch those same anime any time I want at my own convenience?

Isn't that exactly what everyone here does for certain shows?


I have two arguments.

1) Toonami doesn't simulcast. The shows they play I could easily watch at my own convenience because most of them have been out for years.

2) When speaking of simulcasting, I still don't have to wait and watch at a specific time. Let's say I want to watch Your Lie In April on Crunchyroll. I don't have to watch it on a specific time on Thursday. I can easily watch it later in the week without worrying about missing it.
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
What's killing Toonami is that I don't know what Toonami is.
Zodai 
11314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/28/15

Lenalee1 wrote:

What's killing Toonami is that I don't know what Toonami is.


Where most common anime fans got their first fix back on standard TV almost a decade ago. It got cancelled a long time ago for some sort of a viewership drop or something (Cartoon Network as a whole seems to have gone down since then) but they brought it back for April Fools once and everyone loved it. But now the viewership is dropping again : <
62179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
Ratings and short sighted network executives.
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 1/28/15

Zodai wrote:


Lenalee1 wrote:

What's killing Toonami is that I don't know what Toonami is.


Where most common anime fans got their first fix back on standard TV almost a decade ago. It got cancelled a long time ago for some sort of a viewership drop or something (Cartoon Network as a whole seems to have gone down since then) but they brought it back for April Fools once and everyone loved it. But now the viewership is dropping again : <


Interesting.

I just Googled Toonami and it seems like it was shut down in the UK back in 2007. Now that I'm looking at their list of series, I think I might have watched it! They did KND, which 14-year old me found to be really fun.
Zodai 
11314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/28/15

Lenalee1 wrote:


Zodai wrote:


Lenalee1 wrote:

What's killing Toonami is that I don't know what Toonami is.


Where most common anime fans got their first fix back on standard TV almost a decade ago. It got cancelled a long time ago for some sort of a viewership drop or something (Cartoon Network as a whole seems to have gone down since then) but they brought it back for April Fools once and everyone loved it. But now the viewership is dropping again : <


Interesting.

I just Googled Toonami and it seems like it was shut down in the UK back in 2007. Now that I'm looking at their list of series, I think I might have watched it! They did KND, which 14-year old me found to be really fun.


Seems to have gotten shut down earlier in the US. I think I remember Naruto's dub coming on sometime in 2006, and it feels like that was after Toonami went out. Then again, it was almost 10 years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy.
Posted 1/28/15
toonami is killing toonami, but they are at the mercy of what funimation licenses it seem. i'm probably totally wrong~
23208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
I love Toonami and I'm glad they brought it back. But I just don't watch as much T.V. as I used to, and I watch all my anime on CR so there's not much incentive for me to watch it.
11218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
I think we've established where Toonami's problems come from pretty well here. That said, Toonami was my introduction to anime back in the 90s, so I owe it a lot.

Also to OP, I find it funny that you mention "horror/gore" and "devilish" and then explain that you were raised in the south as a reason for not liking that. Personally I have no problem with it. Saya no Uta is one of my favorite stories of all time. And yet, I'm from southern Alabama.
27621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / Tyrell HQ
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
It's not just Toonami. Traditional/Live tv is dying a slow death.

If it wasn't for live Sports I would get rid of Directv immediately.
xxJing 
37209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
I don't watch TV at all anymore as it is. I catch shows on the internet when it is convenient for me to do so. Either through streaming sites like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. Or Illegally if those aren't an option.
29320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Massachusetts, Un...
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
The timing is all wrong for it. That's the problem. Like people have said, it needs to be on sooner rather than later.

Plus I don't think Adult Swim/Cartoon Network even gives it a chance. They just want numbers, and Toonami doesn't provide them apparently.
18608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/28/15
I "watch" it out of habit.

And by that I mean I have it on and playing the background while writing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.