First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you feel ecchi/harem shows are killing the anime fandom?
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 1/30/15


Might wanna remove that first gif there fast:



Also, that is comedy fanservice and shock factor. That does not make the show ecchi in and of itself. If it did CR and MAL would have updated the show tag to ecchi by now.
7422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/15
I tend to be mostly okay with ecchi, but only if it's implemented well. As in, if it's not the only thing there, and there's not much of it, usually. However, as others have said, it's more an issue of freshness of the characters, writing and presentation, or rather a lack thereof, that causes problems for me, rather than the mere presence of ecchi or harem elements. For example, I personally really like Highschool of the Dead, despite the outlandishly fanservice-y nature of it; but I like it for the totally self-aware, ridiculous nature of the show as a whole (including the physics-defying action). There's also a lot more to it than the fanservice, and it excels in other ways as well. As such, I don't lament the fanservice in it.

To answer the original question, no, I don't think ecchi and harem elements are ruining anime, as there are plenty of shows produced nowadays that don't have much of either, and there are shows that are good in spite of having them. Besides, ecchi has been in anime for years and the industry yet lives. Tenchi Muyo and Slayers come to mind, as does Space Adventure Cobra, which came out in the early 80s. I don't really think we have to worry.
Posted 1/30/15
Nope. I love watching a harem or ecchi show to kill time between watching serious anime.
95164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 1/30/15
I think in moderation it's fine but when it's over done it ruins a show.

Best analogy I've seen is compairing ecchi in anime to frosting on a cake.

The right amount of frosting gives you a pleasant decoration and a sweet taste but if you bury the cake in frosting it makes you sick to your stomach just looking at it.

37966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/30/15
Some harem series are so cliche and generic that reading the synopses make me don't want to look at them. It's like the authors of those series lazily copy and paste the same harem format to their books.
1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 1/30/15

aidenraine wrote:


Genbu89 wrote:
while they exist and tend to get a lot of attention.....

but they DON'T get a lot of attention.. aside from people who cry about how much they're ruining the industry...


Nah, I'm sure they do get attention outside the anime fandom. A lot of ecchi / harem shows could easily be considered sexist, and if that's not true their entire appeal is male fantasies; there's probably a non-vocal female viewer base who just roll their eyes at ecchi / harem shows (henceforth known as fanservice shows for simplicity's sake) because it's just another stupid fanservice show. But there's no such thing as bad publicity, and seeing as fanservice shows keep getting made, people must be watching them...

... though I don't think the feminist angle will hold water too much longer, if reverse-harem and fanservice shows for girls do well. Free!, Bonjour, Kamisama Kiss!, Bouei-bu, etc. all fall into this category (even if the latter is a parody anyone can enjoy)... the problem is that shows designed solely for female fanservice aren't typically identified as being such.

I don't think fanservice shows are ruining the industry per sé, but they aren't helping popular opinion of anime fans, and I sincerely believe some shows could be a lot better if they downplayed the fanservice elements. Testament from the current season is probably the best example of this; it could be a good blend of action and fanservice, but as it is sticks mostly to fanservice and romantic / sexual tension while having little action.

EDIT: The immense amount of merchandising in regards to fanservice shows aimed at men doesn't help either.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/30/15
yes i have obviously died
runec 
28292 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 1/30/15

sonic720 wrote:
Also, that is comedy fanservice and shock factor. That does not make the show ecchi in and of itself. If it did CR and MAL would have updated the show tag to ecchi by now.


Its not really for shock factor though. The show sexualizes it. Which is kind of the problem. You or I may find it shocking, but its not for us. Its for the people whose fetish is sexualized violence/dominance. If it was purely for shock factor it would be presented in a purely shocking way. But its not, its presented in a sexual way. Its not about shocking the viewer as much as its about tantilizing them. Hence the comparison to old 70-80s women's prison films. The horrible things happening to the characters on screen aren't really for the sake of the story as much as they are for the eyes of the viewer.

The implied anal rape scene in ep 1 of Cross Rondo is a good example. Something horrible, violent and shocking is happening to Ange which turns out to apparently be the attachment of the control cord to her spine. But the presentation goes out of its way to not only imply rape but ensure that this violent and demeaning scenario is presented sexually and has some cheesecake shots. She's topless and bent over a table, ass in air to Assume The Position(tm) and the audience is treated to a shot of Ange's squirming butt front and center on screen for example.

Given where the show started ( weird fetish BDSM ) and where its now ended up ( Total shameless pandering dress up episode with sweaty bikini Twister ) its even more bizarre. I'm not sure if they're just trying to cram in every single fetish they can or if half way through production everyone realized that Yuki from the 2nd floor was really creepy and they needed to stop letting him write episode screenplays.

Ah, wait, now that I look at the staff list maybe I'm not that far off. The "Creative Producer" storyboarded ep 1 and only ep 1. So I guess the question is whether or not he's some weird closet pervert....

"Mitsuo Fukuda also informed fans that the opening sequence featured on television and the one included in the home media version will be different, with the girls featured in one portion being naked in the home video version. He noted that since it would be boring with lots of censor bars during the television broadcast, the decision was made to put clothes on the characters."

Hmmm. >.>
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 1/30/15

redsilversnake wrote:

For example, Madoka Magica, which had minimal fanservice and only a love triangle between one main character and two supporting ones, broke 100,000 in sales, while To Love-ru, which has an expanding harem and a protagonist who finds himself in ecchi situations all the time, I'm pretty sure didn't even get 10,000.

Average sales per volume for To Love Ru Darkness = 10,899

Average sales per volume for Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica = 71,057

Per http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

Ecchi apparently isn't a poison for very high sales, however. A case in point:

Average sales per volume for Nisemonogatari = 60,634

27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 1/30/15
People have been questioning whether ecchi/harem/fan service shows are going to kill anime since the 1980's, with the dawn of OVAs. It still hasn't happened.

Those types of shows have never really been the most popular or biggest selling, but they have a built-in audience, and are a good way to make a quick buck. For that reason, they stick around. There's rarely more than a few of them in any given season, and, honestly...some of them are pretty good; it isn't like they're all crap or anything.

I think a lot of people dislike their presence because of fear they'll be judged as a pervert for being an anime fan due to these kinds of shows. Having been a fan of anime in the time when anime was basically synonymous with pervert in the U.S...I just learned to deal with it. Like any element of anime as a medium, if you don't like it, just ignore it, and don't care what other people think about it.
11916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 1/30/15
Yes, there probably are 'too many' ecchi and harem anime if you consider a certain amount to be excessive for the number of shows being released every quarter. Personally I think there are too many shows coming out of any variety- the prevalence of cgi has made anime production fast and overly cheap, so that lazy writing and cheap sexualized stories about fantasy bimbo characters surface because sex always sells- and the people who buy it will keep buying it in greater numbers as long as the industry continues to cater to the lowest denominator.

This is why I'm surprised more of you don't watch older anime more. If you go back into the previous century, ecchi was less common, especially prior to 1994. It's not that females weren't still sexy or males overly ripped- but the kind of loli stuff everyone complains about, and the harem thing- didn't exist in such excess. You could find more experimental one-offs that were just about fighting aliens in space, and see a lot of pure animation for the sake of animation. So rather than watching tons of shows that aren't very appealing on here just to say you've watched so much anime- you might go out and find something different from twenty years ago that might be good. Or it might be crap and you can crack jokes about it, I don't know. At least it won't be nearly as perverted as some of the crap showing now.
1362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 1/30/15
I don't think harems are killing anime. But Harems are hit or miss for my own personal enjoyment. I tend to drop a lot of them early. But i do agree there is a lot of harems ,maybe to many idk.
224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 1/30/15
Ecchi/harem is killing anime/manga. It's a repeated formula being used. There are hundreds of good mangas that can turn into an anime adaptation, but it's being overshadowed by the ecchi/harem mangas. I don't really blame the authors who are trying to make a popular series and make money, it really comes down to the fans who are basically perverts and want it. So when we get hundreds of ecchi/harem animes, blame it on the fans who can careless about a story and just want boobies.

I also want to say, Cross Ange or Seven Deadly Sins are ecchi done right.
5658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/30/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Found this, don't know if it is accurate, but...


So, is it real?
15205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The United States...
Offline
Posted 1/30/15
Is ecchi/harem genre of anime killing the industry? No, I don't think so, but I do believe that it is hindering the industry. The thing with ecchi/harem genre of anime is people are going to buy it if they want too. The sales may be good, or bad, but it's going to be made no matter what. The fan base is present, thus, a fan base will buy it.. But that part doesn't matter. What it does do is hurt the image of anime. Anime that dabbles in the affairs of fan-service, to the extreme, has put a social stigma on the over all categories of anime. The social stigma is: the enlarged, bouncing, and other sexual images/human behaviors of the breast, panty shots, or down right nudity. This stigma, as I'm calling it, has tainted the rest of anime's persona. In an example, some of my friends will not watch anime because of this. Getting to the point, they think it is perverted, why watch it? Then with every stigma out there, the question comes. What would other people think of me if they figured out?

Don't get me wrong. I don't care who watches ecchi/harem. This is just a different culture with different views [not just a cultural view, but varies among individuals].In philosophy, it is said that laws are made by society. Not as the individual, nor as a group, but as in everyone. These laws where place into effect by the society to protect the society. The same thing is true about the over all image of the society, in a way. An example is, All Americans are overweight. We know this is not true; however it's a projected view of a culture. Another would be, all Japanese people watch ecchi/harem anime. We also know this is not true because I literally made it up. But that image is still omnipresent to people that don't try to understand. For a solid fact, there are great anime's out their. But because of this tainted stigma, people will not give it the time of day. This, in turn, hurts the industry because a lot of people are ignorant in this stigma thinking, cutting off an entire new fan base audience!

Seriously, don't miss understand my own view in this matter. I do not dislike ecchi/harem anime, nor do I fully love it. However, I will watch some episodes, I'm willing to admit to that. But if that stigma was not around than more people would watch it. Not billions but I am sure more than now! Just my rational reasoning in the matter.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.