First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Humans are not superior to other animals...
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I think ants are superior to humans.


I think giant Martian roaches are superior to humans.
16841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 2/3/15
58970 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 2/3/15

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I think ants are superior to humans.


Everyone knows ants are superior to humans.
41284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15
I like the irony in this thread. Humans are animals thus cannot be more superior than themselves. Nothing scientific about it, just technical. Like saying apples are better than oranges, thus apples are superior to fruit. No. We're just a very advanced species of that specific genus, thus we are philosophically superior. Look at this thread, look at the thought process and convoluted nature of humans. Lions have stronger teeth so your logic is that they must be better at hunting? Then how come I can walk into a supermarket? Humans are sociological animals with a conscious directive, most animals have an simple survival directive if you will thus we have evolved beyond simply instinctual reactions and learned to perceive the future hence no animals contemplates the future of their "kind" but rather the survival of their "seed"(seen in plants as well just a more mechanical nature). Now point being animals are capable of this, but the humans in general are scientifically the most conscious, preconscious, and subconsciously intelligent and concise animal. All in all, argument invalid.
27621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / Tyrell HQ
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15
OP your definition of "Superior" is all over the place. Why don't you decide what constitutes superiority first and then get back to us.

Is it lifespan? Is it population? or what? You are cherry picking things you want to use. Anyone on here can do the same thing and come up with a multitude of ways that Human beings are superior.

Humans can raise/domesticate other animals for food, clothing etc. so we are superior.

Humans can contemplate their existence in the universe so we are superior.

Humans can design and use a plethora of tools so we are superior.

etc..etc...etc...

see what I mean.

Posted 2/3/15

TripleBakaKimidori wrote:

Humans created anime. Animals could not. Even if they tried.

Therefore, humans > animals.


This man is like a god to me. Not THE god, but, well, you get the idea. You will all do well to learn from his illustrious, shining example. Besides desu rubs me the wrong way, so. Its funny. I am not worthy, Triple Baka~ ^.^
4349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Coporate America
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15
can this thread be shutdown before it turns nasty? plz mod-senpai
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15
I'm just wondering if you looked into the opposing side before writing this. Maybe there is a point to why people believe humans are superior. I'm not even gonna give my thoughts on the subject. You also basically cut off any chance of having a civilized debate by telling people they can't think of any reasons as to why humans are superior. You are not trying to enlighten any of us, it's very much like "I'm right you're wrong, now shut up." Your opinion seems very one sided as well. I'm not trying to hate on you, but come on pal I know you can give a better argument than this.

I'm all for a good debate, but you need to be open to my views as well and not automatically say I'm wrong before listening to my side.
41284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15

DesuMaiden wrote:

This documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFU94IqqvPk

talks about the myth of human superiority to other species. Obviously humans are not superior to other animals. In fact, it is pointless to make a distinction between humans and animals because humans ARE animals. We are animals. That's a fact. I don't care what kind of religious or bullshit philosophical arguments you come with. Humans are animals. And we aren't superior to other animals. Just watch that documentary explaining why humans are not superior to other animals.

But here are a few bullet points on how humans aren't superior to other animals. First of all, in terms of longevity, we are beaten by many species which have been around for much longer than us. Dinosaurs ruled the world for 160 million years. By contrast, Homo Sapiens only been around for 200,000 years, and we've only been a dominate species for a few centuries. If you say humans are superior because we have a large population, you are wrong again, because other species have much larger populations than humans. Insects, for example, have many more members per species than the entire human race. There are hundred of billions if not trillions of insects on Earth, so in terms of numbers, I guess that makes insects superior to humans. Some people say humans are superior to other animals because we can make tools like computers, cars, TVs, video games, art and other cool things. But that's irrelevant because other animals survive perfectly fine without those things. But you can also argue that humans are inferior to other animals because without our tools, we quite literally can't survive. And other animals don't need so many tools to survive, so I guess that makes them superior to us. Also the issue of sentience is a pretty interesting issue. I believe other animals are sentient too. It has been scientifically proven that many other species on this Earth like elephants, chimpanzees, gorilla, tigers, lions, whales, dolphins, and many bird species are sentient. And many other species are sentient too. So it is a mistake to say human beings are the only sentient species on this planet, so we are not superior to other life forms by being the only species that is sentient. Basically, you can't argue humans are superior to other animals based on superficial qualities, and we are very similar to other animals other than the fact that we have much higher usage of tools than other animals.

*Since humans are not superior to other animals, that means we aren't given the right to abuse other animals for our own pleasure.* This brings into the issue of veganism and animal rights. Personally, I'm not a vegan, but I'm against animal abuse. I don't think animals should be abused for human profit and pleasure. I also believe that the human population should be reduced, in order to give other species more living room on this planet.

I believe the ideal population of the Earth should only be around 1.5 to 2 billion people. I know there are too many people on this Earth, and our sheer numbers simply overwhelms other species to extinction. If we reduced our population to only 1.5 to 2 billion, other animals would have a chance at survival on this planet. But of course that would realistically never happen unless nature reduced our numbers with plague, famine, starvation and war. I doubt people will voluntarily reduce population by reducing birth rates below replacement levels because the average person is self-fish and stupid.

Humanity has essentially become a cancer. We destroy other species' habitats for our own self-fish needs. We live in an infinite growth paradigm which requires infinite growth in consumption and population. Unless we get out of this infinite growth paradigm, we are screwed as a species, because we will just end up consuming all of the resources on the Earth, and eventually causing ourselves to become extinct. I've stated this already, but it needs to be re-emphasized because this is literally happening right now. Unless mankind surrenders to the fact he lives on a finite planet and he must live in harmony with all of the other plant and animal life, there can never be true happiness.

So can you actually come up with any reasons why you think human beings are superior to other animals? You can't because humans aren't superior to other animals.


We get pleasure from things we need to survive. Sex? Food? Water? Energy? Heightening our chances at succeeding in those areas will give us pleasure as well. It's really simply ecology and sociology. By your logic if I were to be superior I could do these things for pleasure? No. It's called ethics a thing social creatures like humans can only come up with, and no animal would care about(unless it's in direct relations to them, but that's not ethical it's selfish nature of survival which is the most natural intrinsic thing we base most all feelings off of). Then you go onto talking about how we're a cancer? Cancer implies an over grown bundle misconstrued cells that takes the essentials from the living cells. How have we lost the encoding of nature? You act like all humans are demons. You also give off a nihilistic vibe and come across too aggressive to actually feel like you'll hear any of us out. Anyways humans are able to expand across the galaxy and even contemplate the existence of existence and what is before what we called conscious existence. Try talking to a horse and petting a lion next time you're at the zoo. Better yet go talk to aliens and tell me how freidly they are, all life in this universe bound by electromagnetism eventually will lose its spark and therefore is bound to death only furthering the speculation all life in this universe are seemingly violent in nature in order to survive. By violent I mean takes the initiative to take advantage of their resources, which may happen to be other lifeforms and energies essential to other things/beings. It's called life. Read a book written from people like Isaac Newton over watching a controversial youtube video[trolls-mania].
4052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 2/3/15
IMO the thing that seperates humans from other animals is the fact we are self aware. most animals function off instinct and live only to reproduce and survive. Some animals are more clever than others and can learn some things others can't like some basic tools and things but they can't do it to nearly the same level as humans.

Humans create art, music, and more and it has emotion and meaning behind it. Some animals in nature have been known to make beautiful things as well but they don't carry emotion or meaning in them. The art of nature is simply beautiful in it's simplicity.

Humans invent, discover, and contemplate the meaning of things.

At the same time though humans are indeed animals and thus we share a lot of similarities to other animals. But we are superior because we are self aware and the things we can do because we are at that level.

Of course human superiority is a bit of a double edged sword. Because while we are capable of so many things not all of those things are good. Humans can do a LOT of stupid stuff because we can act beyond instinct. We can act without reason or logic if we choose to or act with warped logic. But even that still makes us superior because unlike animals we are capable of doing these stupid things.
50 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15

DesuMaiden wrote:

Unless people accept reality, I will not stop in posting about science.


I am a scientist, so hear me when I say: you are not posting about science.

Ok, so I'm a science student, but I'm in, uh, 18th grade, so I know what I'm talking about. You have some strong beliefs, and you're letting them bias your judgement. Even worse, you're being so rude and combative that even people who agree with you to any degree will shy away.

Also, I'm completely for the conservation of the earth, which I guess is your point in all this, and I'm upset that you're painting the rest of us in this ugly light. You are actively scaring neutral people away, which is exactly the opposite of convincing them. Please be nicer. Cheers.

EDIT: And here I present both proof that humans are superior to other animals, and a compelling reason for us to treat our big round home better:

48744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15


LMFAOOOOO my thoughts exactly, this kid......has problems.

Can never understand why there are people out there who just sit there and spew doomsday and stupid crap like that 24/7...
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

I don't think your threads are bringing people to understand science, if anything, it's doing the exact opposite.

You sound more condescending than informative. :-/


___________________

Anyway, on topic. Humans are superior to animals. We are the top of the food chain, that's a fact. The thing is, we are no different from animals, we're just more intelligent. Certain people like to think we're different from animals... but we behave exactly like how animals would behave in crisis or under stressful conditions.


Human population is not the problem, it's industrial revolution that's the problem. If we can learn to be more eco-friendly, then rising human population wouldn't be a problem... but we're so dependent on fossil fuels and plastic, both of which take a long to degrade in the environment, that we don't want to look for alternatives.

And then there are certain people who oppose looking for alternatives because they believe scientists are evil and are only looking for grant money. :-/


That sums it up.
12121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15
You said "We destroy other species' habitats for our own self-fish needs."
Humans are capable of destroying other species, I've never heard of animals being able to completely annihilate a species.
We are superior, even if destroying species is a bad thing.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Online
Posted 2/3/15 , edited 2/3/15

feynmanszombie wrote:


DesuMaiden wrote:

Unless people accept reality, I will not stop in posting about science.


I am a scientist, so hear me when I say: you are not posting about science.

Ok, so I'm a science student, but I'm in, uh, 18th grade, so I know what I'm talking about. You have some strong beliefs, and you're letting them bias your judgement. Even worse, you're being so rude and combative that even people who agree with you to any degree will shy away.

Also, I'm completely for the conservation of the earth, which I guess is your point in all this, and I'm upset that you're painting the rest of us in this ugly light. You are actively scaring neutral people away, which is exactly the opposite of convincing them. Please be nicer. Cheers.

EDIT: And here I present both proof that humans are superior to other animals, and a compelling reason for us to treat our big round home better:



Thank you for bringing some sense into this in a way I couldn't bring myself to do, kindly...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.