First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you believe that people can have no gender?
2461 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 5/19/15
Nope, gender is what body parts you have or do not have. It is written in your body's very code. You can call it different things all you want and twist it to your own ends but you are what you are. Gender is not determined by society, rather society has twisted the definition of gender to meet their wants.

Ok flame away, cause I'm sure I'll get it from at least one person.
18602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/15
It don't matter yo
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 5/19/15

masked185 wrote:

Nope, gender is what body parts you have or do not have. It is written in your body's very code. You can call it different things all you want and twist it to your own ends but you are what you are. Gender is not determined by society, rather society has twisted the definition of gender to meet their wants.

Ok flame away, cause I'm sure I'll get it from at least one person.


Gender is a societal construct lol have you ever been educated or at least researched this before spewing stupidity? Or nah?
65319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Atlanta, GA
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 2/4/15
Sounds like an extraordinary claim to posit that people can have no gender. Especially if we're redefining things and not talking straight biology like how people normally use the term.

I'm deeply skeptical of extraordinary claims that lack a well thought out argument or proof of some kind that's survived critical scrutiny.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / $$east coast$$
Offline
Posted 2/4/15
Gender is a social construction, meaning that being agender is legitimate. Recognizing the existence of transgendered people yet erasing the existence of agenders (who fit under the overall umbrella of trangender/non-binary) just seems silly to me. Being agender just means you do not identify with the societally constructed genders of male and female....
Protip: just because you don't personally know someone who identifies as something doesn't mean they don't exist
Posted 2/4/15
Yes, I believe there can be people who don't believe in a gender.

Because I honestly don't care about being male or female... i'll just do whatever I want. Some people like to attribute things as male or female which really annoys me because I see everything as neutral... and I will do whatever inspires me.


(The only reason I make it clear i'm male on the internet is to avoid being sexually harassed by perverts)

65319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Atlanta, GA
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 5/19/15
So, I should ask, if gender is a "social construct" then how do we suddenly have a gender that society at large doesn't recognize? How do we have people categorized into those new gender constructs society at large never recognized? If we posit the existence of a gender that's not male/female that society at large doesn't recognize, then how is that a real gender? Isn't gender supposed to be a social construct?

To me, I fail to understand the logic that if gender is a social construct, then you're not pigeon-holed into whatever society pigeonholes you into. Cause if you fall outside of what society pigeonholes you into, it's not really a gender then by that definition.
39137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 2/4/15
sure, why not.

Granted, it's more of a matter of me not caring and just referring to what other people insist. A lot of this, moreover, comes down how gender is defined. It's definition isn't terribly straightforward if we understand it's the socialization of sex.
2461 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 5/19/15

deer wrote:


masked185 wrote:

Nope, gender is what body parts you have or do not have. It is written in your body's very code. You can call it different things all you want and twist it to your own ends but you are what you are. Gender is not determined by society, rather society has twisted the definition of gender to meet their wants.

Ok flame away, cause I'm sure I'll get it from at least one person.


Gender is a societal construct lol have you ever been educated or at least researched this before spewing stupidity? Or nah?


Thank you for flaming me, I would have felt left out and lost without your kind words ;-)

From the dictionary which apparently find stupid:

Gender: "either the male or female division of a species"
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / $$east coast$$
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 5/19/15

masked185 wrote:


deer wrote:


masked185 wrote:

Nope, gender is what body parts you have or do not have. It is written in your body's very code. You can call it different things all you want and twist it to your own ends but you are what you are. Gender is not determined by society, rather society has twisted the definition of gender to meet their wants.

Ok flame away, cause I'm sure I'll get it from at least one person.


Gender is a societal construct lol have you ever been educated or at least researched this before spewing stupidity? Or nah?


Thank you for flaming me, I would have felt left out and lost without your kind words ;-)

From the dictionary which apparently find stupid:

Gender: "either the male or female division of a species"


While I disagree with how the previous user has worded their argument, I generally agree with the gist of it. I'm not sure which dictionary you are sourcing from, but from what I am seeing, gender is "the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", and "the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)." This does not pertain to your SEXUAL, physical characteristics, but rather traits that are classified as masculine and feminine. There is a distinction between physical sex and societally constructed gender. Am I making sense? We can totally have a level headed discussion without so called "flaming."
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 5/19/15

masked185 wrote:


deer wrote:


masked185 wrote:

Nope, gender is what body parts you have or do not have. It is written in your body's very code. You can call it different things all you want and twist it to your own ends but you are what you are. Gender is not determined by society, rather society has twisted the definition of gender to meet their wants.

Ok flame away, cause I'm sure I'll get it from at least one person.


Gender is a societal construct lol have you ever been educated or at least researched this before spewing stupidity? Or nah?


Thank you for flaming me, I would have felt left out and lost without your kind words ;-)

From the dictionary which apparently find stupid:

Gender: "either the male or female division of a species"


LMAO that's sex... not gender

educate yourself, from the APA themselves

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/sexuality-definitions.pdf

3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / $$east coast$$
Offline
Posted 2/4/15

crazykl45 wrote:

So, I should ask, if gender is a "social construct" then how do we suddenly have a gender that society at large doesn't recognize? How do we have people categorized into those new gender constructs society at large never recognized? If we posit the existence of a gender that's not male/female that society at large doesn't recognize, then how is that a real gender? Isn't gender supposed to be a social construct?

To me, I fail to understand the logic that if gender is a social construct, then you're not pigeon-holed into whatever society pigeonholes you into. Cause if you fall outside of what society pigeonholes you into, it's not really a gender then by that definition.


I'm assuming you are referring to what I and several other commenters have argued (would have replied to this sooner but didn't get a quote notification). From what I understand, there has been no sudden introduction of another gender. Instead, society is naturally reacting to something that has always been there, but has not been clearly defined or researched before; that is, the concept that "gender" is only a construct, and something which has a fluid definition. Society does not recognize the existence of non-binary people, or rather, is resisting the recognition of anything that is not binary because a hegemonic system in power wants to stay in power and not be challenged. Only recently (in the past century or so) have there even been research and exploration into the idea that biological sex and gender identity are separate and function on a single bipolar dimension of masculinity-femininity—that is masculinity and femininity are opposites on one continuum.As societal stereotypes changed, however, assumptions of the unidimensional model were challenged. This led to the development of a two-dimensional gender identity model, in which masculinity and femininity were conceptualized as two separate, orthogonal dimensions, coexisting in varying degrees within an individual. This conceptualization on femininity and masculinity remains the accepted standard today.

Phew that was longer than I expected.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 2/4/15
the way you feel doesn't change the fact you have a penis or a vagina.
27498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 2/4/15
No. Male or female, one or the other, there is no in between or any other alternative. Even if someone of a certain sex decides to get an operation to change it to the other, it is still one sex or the other.

People who over complicate things like this are annoying and I don't like them.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/15

deer wrote:


masked185 wrote:

Nope, gender is what body parts you have or do not have. It is written in your body's very code. You can call it different things all you want and twist it to your own ends but you are what you are. Gender is not determined by society, rather society has twisted the definition of gender to meet their wants.

Ok flame away, cause I'm sure I'll get it from at least one person.


Gender is a societal construct lol have you ever been educated or at least researched this before spewing stupidity? Or nah?


awwwwweeeee... such a cwute widdle troll..
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.