First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you believe that people can have no gender?
10350 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/4/15


Any attempt to be without gender is to simply be someone who doesn't identify to that gender/gender norm; however, classification exists outside of ideological ploys to escape them so indeed there truly is no such thing as a human without gender in a biological or scientific manner. & I particularly don't enjoy an ideology just based off of semantics to make someone feel better about who they are. Such a waste of time.
64347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/15 , edited 2/4/15
What is between your legs? Case closed. Not happy... too bad. Try again in another life
884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/15
yeah, we call them Neuchachos
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/5/15

animegirl2222 wrote:

During my tenure of drama and hell on tumblr, I learned of a gender that is literally considered to be "without gender", also called agender, or "nonbinary". Basically, a person feels they are neither female nor male and they think they do not conform to a gender role, so to speak.


Its biologically impossible to simply have 'no gender'

People who feel that way are actually what is known as 'asexual' which means they have no sexual attraction to either gender which can often be confused with being gender-less themselves.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15
Short of living your life unable to communicate or interact with others in any way, it is not possible to have no gender in this society. Being a social construct, gender is different from sex. Yes, there is a distinction. Yes, it is important.

Technically, everybody is born without a gender. But this quickly changes as you grow up.

Well, I guess you could continue to have no gender if you grew up completely by yourself in some remote wilderness, birthed by a mother who died during labor, and you never ever encountered another human being and died yourself. You would have no gender because there would have been no society to assign you a gender role or influence you in any way. There is no gender because there is no society or significant interaction with other people and, therefore, no ideas about femininity and masculinity. The chances are slim.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to be in that position. You'd be without a language and would be not much more than a wild animal. You'd have many severe mental problems, most likely. An early death seems guaranteed. Humans are designed to be social.

You would still have your sex, male or female. But no gender. Weird hypo. I might not be entirely correct but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it.




Having no gender roles is different from not wanting to conform to the one assigned to you. Tumblr is just a huge mess. I'd suggest not even reading that mind sludge if you can avoid it.

Here's a passage from a book that I feel summarizes Tumblr and modern social justice warrior-zealots quite nicely: "Callous people who throw a lot of empty words at you...Narrow minds devoid of imagination. Intolerance, theories cut off from reality, empty terminology, usurped ideals, inflexible systems. Those are the things that really frighten me. What I absolutely fear and loathe. Of course it is important to know right and wrong. Individual errors in judgment can usually be corrected. As long as you have the courage to admit mistakes, things can be turned around. But intolerant, narrow minds with no imagination are like parasites that transform the host, change form, and continue to thrive. They're a lost cause, and I don't want anyone like that coming in here."

TL;DR - Tumblr is full of ****. It's mostly just attention-seeking pseudo hipsters, who are easily hurt, amplifying small problems into insurmountable ones, and coming up with disorders they don't have or that don't exist. They are 14 year olds who think they're smart because high school is easy. Lawl.
84 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 2/5/15
Yes a person can be born with no gender.. there was like a big thing about it and everything,.... -o-
5114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/9/15
i can understand somebody not wanting their personal life to be strictly dictated by societal archetypes or whatever but the whole gender identity issue never made any sense to me. I mean for the most part it seems that people who are caught up on what they are or aren't gender wise are ironically unaccepting of themselves more than anybody else is, and so im lost as to what they want others to accept about them.

First, it is undeniable that a male is a male and a female is a female biologically, as far as we are with modern technology and medical practices we are unable to alter DNA or the genetic makeup to the extent to actually change a man to a woman or vise versa, and believing anything else in that capacity is simply disillusion.

So If we are talking about gender swapping, as in if you assume the gender identity of the opposite sex from which you were born, I fail to see how its different from accepting your "assigned" identity. For example if you are a man and want to become a transgender woman, and you begin to wear makeup, woman's clothes, and talk and act in a certain fashion, arent you still limited to assuming the cultural idea of gender? Like, you are not actually and can never be a woman in the sex sense, so you are a man that displays the cultural patterns of a woman (or vise versa) but inherently still a man. I mean as a free man you can dress and act however you like, but you are still a male and claiming anything else is false.

So that brings us to claiming to be genderless. if you claim that you dont have any gender, thats cool, but it kind of goes without saying. for example, In my own case, im a male, sex wise, and im culturally identifiable as a male i assume, but yet i dont make any distinction about subscribing to the male gender. I like what i like, i wear typical "man gender" clothes, but i also wear earrings, which may be considered more of a "female gender" accessory. I dont think the question of whether or not I am both physically male and a man in the gender sense even is a question someone would ask. The only time i think it may come up is if I decided to wear a dress or something, maybe someone would ask if i feel like a woman, but they would only ask because they would be able to tell immediately that i was still a male sex wise, and so i guess i could say im genderless at that point, but the fact that i am biologically a male is undeniable.

I dont know, basically, you just have to be accepting of who you are if you ever want to be comfortable, and the fact that you have to claim a lack of gender or a different gender just seems like you arent really comfortable with yourself more than anyone else being made uncomfortable because of what you display. Out of the infinite different creatures and ways of living, thinking, or the infinite knowledge that can be gained it is impossible to experience it all in one lifetime. By being born a human you are limited from being born any other animal, by being born a female you are limited from being born a male, by being born as an asian person you are limited from being any other race, from being an adult you are limited from being a child, etc. It really shouldnt be a sadness or a feeling of being limited because your vary existence inherently limits you from other existences, just embrace what possibilities your reality has to offer and chill out
81324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/15
I reject social norms out of hand. Anytime society might try to throw people in a box and categorize them, I thumb my nose at it. Race or societal gender, I find them both to be pointless and ridiculous concepts. When someone says gender I consider them to be talking about biological, equivalent to sex.
17350 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15
I don't think so, but if you want to be considered gender neutral or something like that, I'm fine with it. Live and let live.
15021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 2/5/15
I get not being wanted to be tied down to gender roles, but biologically you are either male/female/transgender.
8701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 2/5/15
You are either male or female, no amount of people living with their parents crying about the world on tumblr is going to change that lol.
Posted 2/5/15
Gender isn't solid, like sex is. Sex is male/female dependent on biology and gender is completely fluid, ranging from the binary system to all sorts of gender classes inbetween. It's the same with sexual preference, that goes way beyond heterosexual/bisexual/homosexual. There's a ton of inbetweeny bits that i guess is hard to understand from someone's point of view if they feel fixed in their gender/sexuality etc.

9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15

deer wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


deer wrote:

congratulations



I know. I read what people post before just deciding to launch into some ego stroking self affirming wise ass comment about how ignorant people are...


like... i didn't even direct it towards you so whatever you wrote wouldn't have mattered anyway because it's not like the guy read your post. so here you are injecting yourself into me replying to his comment like... what were you trying to achieve? more views on your short essay? plus people shouldn't be babied for choosing to stay ignorant. this whole thread is unnecessary because everyone and their mom can look up and do research for themselves before spewing unjustifiable and anecdotal/bogus definitions. at this point people are ignorant because they want to be and i don't have to coddle them or their close-mindedness


Just tired of seeing every post you seem to make being insulting or condescending.

you quoted my stuff and then posted some link that was a reiteration to what I originally said.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 2/5/15

serifsansserif wrote:


deer wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


deer wrote:

congratulations



I know. I read what people post before just deciding to launch into some ego stroking self affirming wise ass comment about how ignorant people are...


like... i didn't even direct it towards you so whatever you wrote wouldn't have mattered anyway because it's not like the guy read your post. so here you are injecting yourself into me replying to his comment like... what were you trying to achieve? more views on your short essay? plus people shouldn't be babied for choosing to stay ignorant. this whole thread is unnecessary because everyone and their mom can look up and do research for themselves before spewing unjustifiable and anecdotal/bogus definitions. at this point people are ignorant because they want to be and i don't have to coddle them or their close-mindedness


Just tired of seeing every post you seem to make being insulting or condescending.

you quoted my stuff and then posted some link that was a reiteration to what I originally said.


then ignore my posts lol i'm not here to coddle you either

35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15
Here's the thing about categorization systems: they're descriptors of the world around us, but they also have inherent limitations. If we divide society into two categories, people who love pizza and people who love hamburgers, a person who expresses that they don't like either and prefer pasta isn't suffering from "special snowflake syndrome". That just means the categorization system missed a possible state. True, society has established categories for genders (and in fact, some societies have more than two of these), but the possibility yet remains that there will be people who do not identify with any of these and will thus have to be classified as being outside the system as it presently stands. That's what agender is. It's the "none of the above" option in the list of gender options society has established.

Seeing as how there is an essentially infinite range of variation in the spectrum of gender identifications and presentations I find it wholly unsurprising that there are those who would not properly identify with any category society has established, that there will be those who would mark "none of the above" within any given society. It's just a reflection of the limitations of language and social categorization. There's nothing wrong with having categories as long as one allows for those who fluidly move between them and those who don't neatly fall into any of them, and that's the approach we need to take toward gender. People should be able to mark multiple categories, and they should be able to mark "none of the above".


geckobass5 wrote:

What is between your legs? Case closed. Not happy... too bad. Try again in another life


The empirical record plainly shows that biological sex and core gender identification need not correlate, and further that the most effective treatment for dysphoria between these characteristics is to first determine that it's not the result of some psychiatric disorder like schizophrenia, to effectively treat any depression or anxiety issues, to impart a sense of understanding and self-acceptance in the patient, and ultimately to provide support for a transition into a more comfortable presentation and lifestyle.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.