First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Your View On School Censorship?
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15
What's your view on this issue? By censorship we're talking dress code mainly, but it could easily encompass other areas.
7111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Arkansas
Offline
Posted 2/5/15
Hey, the governments who protect us get to make the rules, seems fair to me
9447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15
I never listened to that crap to begin with.
Pic of me back when I was in high school.


41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/5/15
It depends. I went to a private school most of my life and there were some things I had issues with and others I didn't really care. I personally had no real issue with uniforms, yeah I would have preferred normal everyday clothes, but the uniforms were never a big issue.

On the other hand here is the censorship I did not agree with. This was back in my high school. I did not like the fact that I was unable to get my Zodiac sign on my class ring because my school did not support astrology....I just went to my local jewelry store to get it made(didn't get my zodiac sign simply because the store didn't offer that with the ring choice I made). The ring should be about me,right? I just find my zodiac sign to be trivial info, it's not like I am gonna start worshiping my zodiac sign. Oh don't get me started on how I got lectured when I said gosh and jeez. The teachers at the school for the most part were very kind and I still stay in contact with some. The pastor of the school was the one I had the issue with, if you want to know censorship well in order to work there you have to sign a paper that you agree with everything that the pastor believes. I know some of my favorite teachers lost their jobs because they had a slight different belief than the pastor.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15




Schools have censorship?
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15
School is a place of education and academia, not a club.

Dress code isn't oppression or "censorship" (which isn't the proper word to describe what your talking about), its teaching you how to presently yourself properly for when you actually need to go out and get a job.

If you want to dress like a derp, go elsewhere.

I went to a private school in the Bahamas, so I much prefer a uniform. It prevents people from being prejudice to people who may not be as well off (like myself) that cannot buy the best clothing. Kids tend to find anything that makes someone stand out and turn it into a focal point for their bullying.

School is a professional setting, and people should dress as such. If their isn't a uniform, you are expected to dress accordingly based on the environment. You wouldn't go to a business meeting in a "swag" hat and board shorts would you?.
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/5/15
Dress code was fair. A lot of people in my school actually liked it until they made it stricter.
Posted 2/5/15
try wearing uniforms... and having to wear "ties" in winter and some stupid badge in summer.


Oh my god, it was a nightmare. be glad in the USA you don't have to wear uniforms in public schools.
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

School is a place of education and academia, not a club.

Dress code isn't oppression or "censorship" (which isn't the proper word to describe what your talking about), its teaching you how to presently yourself properly for when you actually need to go out and get a job.

If you want to dress like a derp, go elsewhere.

I went to a private school in the Bahamas, so I much prefer a uniform. It prevents people from being prejudice to people who may not be as well off (like myself) that cannot buy the best clothing. Kids tend to find anything that makes someone stand out and turn it into a focal point for their bullying.

School is a professional setting, and people should dress as such. If their isn't a uniform, you are expected to dress accordingly based on the environment. You wouldn't go to a business meeting in a "swag" hat and board shorts would you?.


I use the term censorship as a broad term with an emphasis on clothing as a reference to the Tinker vs Des Moise case in the 70s or 60s. And yes, I believe censorship is a fair term, if you ignore the negative connotations that it comes with.
Posted 2/5/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

try wearing uniforms... and having to wear "ties" in winter and some stupid badge in summer.


Oh my god, it was a nightmare. be glad in the USA you don't have to wear uniforms in public schools.


I have a fetish for school uniforms, and I wouldn't mind it. What I hate is ghetto people dressing ghetto, and the fact that adminstrators don't do crap to uphold the dress code when it comes to sagging pants. I'm in favor of "urkeling" kids with a zip tie. However, it doesn't take away the fact that school can ban anything they see fit since morse vs frederick.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/15

Ctonhunter wrote:

It depends. I went to a private school most of my life and there were some things I had issues with and others I didn't really care. I personally had no real issue with uniforms, yeah I would have preferred normal everyday clothes, but the uniforms were never a big issue.

On the other hand here is the censorship I did not agree with. This was back in my high school. I did not like the fact that I was unable to get my Zodiac sign on my class ring because my school did not support astrology....I just went to my local jewelry store to get it made(didn't get my zodiac sign simply because the store didn't offer that with the ring choice I made). The ring should be about me,right? I just find my zodiac sign to be trivial info, it's not like I am gonna start worshiping my zodiac sign. Oh don't get me started on how I got lectured when I said gosh and jeez. The teachers at the school for the most part were very kind and I still stay in contact with some. The pastor of the school was the one I had the issue with, if you want to know censorship well in order to work there you have to sign a paper that you agree with everything that the pastor believes. I know some of my favorite teachers lost their jobs because they had a slight different belief than the pastor.


Ouch... That's.... very strict.

As for school dress code and such, I don't mind it.

It's something that never really been enforced with the strictest of beliefs when I was in school except in maybe two cases. One was a teacher freaking out because a student was removing one shirt and had a second under shirt underneath. I can KINDA see her point, and she didn't send him to the principle or anything. The other was someone wearing some profanity laced stuff, (disgused as something else), and yeah.. that was over the top.

I think dress code is.... hmmm... how to put it.

If people weren't trying to test the limits, and if people today had a sense of propriety/situational awareness, I don't think a dress code would be needed. But that's something kinda missing from the world and something not taught.

It's like cursing. You start swearing all the time, and the words lose meaning. You hold back and use it appropriately, and it has HUGE impact. (why I rarely swear when speaking. on the forums it's kinda different. It's a matter of the situation and the nature of the slang). You start swearing all the time, and people think you're just a crude illiterate t**t and they tune you out.. You hold back, and use a variety of other words, and only use cursing when absolutely necessary, and you get more respect, and you talk according to your audience, and they listen more. (did ya see what I did there? :P)

Just like our words and our word choice is an expression of who and what we are and of our personalities, dress is another method of communicating. I mean everyone goes on about how what they were is often an expression of who they are, right? So what are you trying to say, and what are you trying to make people think? And this is kinda beyond dress code in school here, but a general principle for life. It goes for job interviews, dates, I know stories of even a few people who have dressed down to prevent salesmen from trying to charge them a fortune because they normally dress according to their class, and look like they have a crapload of money. (or, vice versa, a lot of people get crapped on for walking into a store dressed horribly and people ignore them because they think they won't buy anything).

So... back to dress codes.

They aren't a bad idea, and ideally I'd be all for freedomof expression, provided people knew how to express themselves and were more conscious of what they are expressing/projecting towards others. As it is though, I actually kinda wish we could provide school uniforms for everyone (including public schools), just to simplify it and make it a non issue within the school.. I don't think it's feasible though as that would probably triple the cost of education (either for the parents via tuition or upon the tax payers whom would be funding the schools.)

So as it is, dress codes are fine.
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/5/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

try wearing uniforms... and having to wear "ties" in winter and some stupid badge in summer.


Oh my god, it was a nightmare. be glad in the USA you don't have to wear uniforms in public schools.


I had to wear a tie every Wednesday because of chapel at the school I attended. I personally don't mind ties or wearing dress clothes. Ha mainly because I like to look stylish . However for the males at my school it had to be a button up white shirt with a tie that had the school colors on it. I did not like this as it did not look good at all.


serifsansserif wrote:
Ouch... That's.... very strict.

Tell me about it. Everyone's favorite teacher left because he taught something different than the pastor believed. Even most of the staff that works at the school don't like the pastor. They are also forced to attend his church in order to work there as well. Let's just say me and a lot of people I know have had major issues with the pastor. I could probably write a book on stuff friend's have told me and what I've experienced at the school. It was definitely like a dictatorship. Well from what I've heard about this year is that the high school part of the school is a lot smaller now...there isn't even a senior class. Also most of the teachers I knew and liked have left as well. This is where I would draw a line on school censorship. Uniforms are tolerable, but causing people to attend your church and accept your beliefs as absolute fact(no questioning) in order to work there is way to much. I worked at the school helping with extended care and I just signed the paper saying I would "believe" what he did because at that time it was the only place that I could really work. I needed the money.
14466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15
Our (public) school uniform policy... I hated it not because it required a uniform but because the uniforms looked like unprofessional garbage. We are there for school, not to play golf and certainly not to work at a grocery store. It would have been better with just a dress code excluding inappropriate things.

I think our plumbing uniforms look more classy than that... at least until some blue glue gets on it.
Posted 2/5/15 , edited 2/5/15

Ctonhunter wrote:
I had to wear a tie every Wednesday because of chapel at the school I attended. I personally don't mind ties or wearing dress clothes. Ha mainly because I like to look stylish . However for the males at my school it had to be a button up white shirt with a tie that had the school colors on it. I did not like this as it did not look good at all.


Don't you feel like somebody's choking you with a tie?


41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/5/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:


Ctonhunter wrote:
I had to wear a tie every Wednesday because of chapel at the school I attended. I personally don't mind ties or wearing dress clothes. Ha mainly because I like to look stylish . However for the males at my school it had to be a button up white shirt with a tie that had the school colors on it. I did not like this as it did not look good at all.


Don't you feel like somebody's choking you with a tie?




Not really. It could be that I am just use to it and don't notice it or because I do not button that top button all the time. I remember with my chapel uniform that whenever I would button the top button of the dress shirt then tie my tie I would feel like I was being choked. However leaving the button unbuttoned, but still wearing the tie made it more comfortable.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.