First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply What Is Your Most Frustrating Encounter With Filler?
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 2/8/15
Back in 2013, I stopped watching Naruto Shippuden, because I wanted to get through to the conclusion of the war without any further cliffhangers. I was about 60 episodes behind where the anime was at current, before I decided to start watching again, last week. Not only has the war STILL not concluded (there are real wars that don't take this long), but I got caught at probably the biggest cliffhanger of the entire SERIES (If you watch, you know what I'm talking about.) and then get treated to 5 straight episodes of filler. Because in this critical moment of the series, I really needed to see the Chunin Exams. Again.

And so, this is probably my most frustrating experience with filler, ever. Which gets me to asking the question:

What is your most frustrating experience with filler/cliffhangers?
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/8/15 , edited 2/8/15
Naruto Shippuden by far has got to be the most notorious with its filler.

I get too frustrated with Naruto's filler. I skipped the Kakashi filler arc and I'm skipping this Chunin Exam filler arc as well, I just get upset watching them and I literally don't care about anything that's going on in the filler because I just want it to get back to the main story line.

But the worst Naruto filler arc was when everything before Madara's reveal. That was just insufferable and took forever. We even got a filler arc, with in the filler mayhem. The Power filler arc was enjoyable, but had no relevance to the story at all.
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 2/8/15
LOL! Seriously, though, that's bad when you take a year off and a story is still not finished because it's packed with so much filler. Truthfully, I enjoyed the Kakashi Arc, as I had wanted them to delve into his history more. But, the Chunin Exams? Really? I think the only filler more overused in this series are the flashbacks of the events with Itachi and the Uchihas. I don't know how many flicks to Sasuke's forehead I can take...

What was hilarious to me, is that they even had filler for Hinata's little sister. And in that filler, there was a moment where there was a flashback, within a flashback, within a flashback. That's like some Inception stuff right there.
10613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 2/8/15
endless 8, and yes. i managed to watch it all.
22353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Holland
Offline
Posted 2/8/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

endless 8, and yes. i managed to watch it all.


This ^^ and respect, me too. It was tough though.
6404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Heuco Mundo
Offline
Posted 2/8/15
Naruto takes the cake for sure. Not to say one piece had some really bad fillers at first.
Posted 2/8/15
I never got why people had so many problems with the filler arcs in Naruto. It's a one chapter per week Manga with about 20 pages per chapter, meaning there are three paths you can take: 1. Put in filler arcs. 2. Go on breaks. 3. Stretch out the content as much as possible. Number 3 is probably the worst alternative as you would end up with horrible pacing overall, even within long running Shounen standards, making the Anime barely watchable and removing every ounce of rewatchability, see One Piece for example. Hardly the better alternative. And you can't honestly tell me that you'd rather have the Anime go on break for an elongated period of time, so the Manga can get ahead, see Hunter x Hunter for example, instead of getting additional content for free. So I honestly say: Stop your bitching and start appreciating the fact that you get an episode of Anime per week instead of one every other. Just watch Naruto with a filler guide, so you can skip the additional content when all you want to do is stay up to date with the story. I am actually enjoying these filler arcs a lot, I have always been interested in the Chuunin exams ever since part two started and last years filler gave us some much needed background on multiple characters (Kakashi, Itachi, Yamato, Obito, even Nagato). Granted, that may have something to do with me already having read the Manga, so I know what's going to happen in the main story and it might be kind of annoying to see this happen now that they don't have to wait for the Manga anymore, but keep in mind that these things are planned out long in advance and this filler was probably signed off on before the Manga ended. Plus, having filler now might just mean that they will have a bigger budget for the finale, which they will definitely need, that's my positive view on it at least

TL;DR: Stop your bitching about filler episode or filler arcs. There are multiple sites online dedicated to pointing out filler in Anime so you can skip it while going through said Anime. Filler is additional content. And more content is nothing to complain about.

Now Endless Eight is bad. That ain't filler though. One of the reasons why I'll never buy the season two Haruhi box set.
119633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/8/15
Naruto and Fairy Tail.

Naruto's fillers are at least decent (not being random). The fillers actually give information but pointless ones. I really don't care how the became chunins right now.

The Fairy Tail ones are straight up random. Example:

That was never in the manga. Get on with the story! Fight the next dark guild already!
Posted 2/8/15
Endless 8 and the NA-NA-NARUTO filler from the first series.

Sometimes, filler works very well however as in the case of the original Sailor Moon anime.
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 2/8/15 , edited 2/8/15
MUCH Respect on watching the whole endless 8. I couldn't do it. I made it through 3. What a fantastically stupid idea that was. Even the director apologized for it, if I'm not mistaken.
Posted 2/8/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

endless 8, and yes. i managed to watch it all.


I don't think that is filler. And yes I did watch it all too. God that was painful.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/8/15 , edited 2/8/15

Okocha119 wrote:

I never got why people had so many problems with the filler arcs in Naruto. It's a one chapter per week Manga with about 20 pages per chapter, meaning there are three paths you can take: 1. Put in filler arcs. 2. Go on breaks. 3. Stretch out the content as much as possible. Number 3 is probably the worst alternative as you would end up with horrible pacing overall, even within long running Shounen standards, making the Anime barely watchable and removing every ounce of rewatchability, see One Piece for example. Hardly the better alternative. And you can't honestly tell me that you'd rather have the Anime go on break for an elongated period of time, so the Manga can get ahead, see Hunter x Hunter for example, instead of getting additional content for free. So I honestly say: Stop your bitching and start appreciating the fact that you get an episode of Anime per week instead of one every other. Just watch Naruto with a filler guide, so you can skip the additional content when all you want to do is stay up to date with the story. I am actually enjoying these filler arcs a lot, I have always been interested in the Chuunin exams ever since part two started and last years filler gave us some much needed background on multiple characters (Kakashi, Itachi, Yamato, Obito, even Nagato). Granted, that may have something to do with me already having read the Manga, so I know what's going to happen in the main story and it might be kind of annoying to see this happen now that they don't have to wait for the Manga anymore, but keep in mind that these things are planned out long in advance and this filler was probably signed off on before the Manga ended. Plus, having filler now might just mean that they will have a bigger budget for the finale, which they will definitely need, that's my positive view on it at least

TL;DR: Stop your bitching about filler episode or filler arcs. There are multiple sites online dedicated to pointing out filler in Anime so you can skip it while going through said Anime. Filler is additional content. And more content is nothing to complain about.

Now Endless Eight is bad. That ain't filler though. One of the reasons why I'll never buy the season two Haruhi box set.


Nah, I would much rather it go on breaks. Some of the filler is ok and is understandable, but putting entire filler arcs right before major plots points is just plain stupid. I feel like I've been cheated when that shit like that happens. Plus, a lot of fillers are pointless and just add unnecessary detail to the plot (at least in Naruto's case).

So yes, I would prefer the anime go on break than god awful filler because the problem with Naruto airing every week is that it gets tiresome and repetitive (mainly because the filler is terrible and is always reoccurring constantly). Just end already dammit! I like how shows like Bleach, Fairy Tale, and Gintama will have some filler but then they'll go on breaks to let the manga go ahead. That way, filler doesn't become insufferable and silly and won't ruin the reputation of the series as much.

For example, I would rather Hunter x Hunter go on a break so it can preserve the quality of the manga than just airing throw away filler arcs for months on end.
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 2/8/15 , edited 2/8/15

LoomyTheBrew wrote:


Okocha119 wrote:

I never got why people had so many problems with the filler arcs in Naruto. It's a one chapter per week Manga with about 20 pages per chapter, meaning there are three paths you can take: 1. Put in filler arcs. 2. Go on breaks. 3. Stretch out the content as much as possible. Number 3 is probably the worst alternative as you would end up with horrible pacing overall, even within long running Shounen standards, making the Anime barely watchable and removing every ounce of rewatchability, see One Piece for example. Hardly the better alternative. And you can't honestly tell me that you'd rather have the Anime go on break for an elongated period of time, so the Manga can get ahead, see Hunter x Hunter for example, instead of getting additional content for free. So I honestly say: Stop your bitching and start appreciating the fact that you get an episode of Anime per week instead of one every other. Just watch Naruto with a filler guide, so you can skip the additional content when all you want to do is stay up to date with the story. I am actually enjoying these filler arcs a lot, I have always been interested in the Chuunin exams ever since part two started and last years filler gave us some much needed background on multiple characters (Kakashi, Itachi, Yamato, Obito, even Nagato). Granted, that may have something to do with me already having read the Manga, so I know what's going to happen in the main story and it might be kind of annoying to see this happen now that they don't have to wait for the Manga anymore, but keep in mind that these things are planned out long in advance and this filler was probably signed off on before the Manga ended. Plus, having filler now might just mean that they will have a bigger budget for the finale, which they will definitely need, that's my positive view on it at least

TL;DR: Stop your bitching about filler episode or filler arcs. There are multiple sites online dedicated to pointing out filler in Anime so you can skip it while going through said Anime. Filler is additional content. And more content is nothing to complain about.

Now Endless Eight is bad. That ain't filler though. One of the reasons why I'll never buy the season two Haruhi box set.


Nah, I would much rather it go on breaks. Some of the filler is ok and is understandable, but putting entire filler arcs right before major plots points is just plain stupid. I feel like I've been cheated when that shit like that happens. Plus, a lot of fillers are pointless and just add unnecessary detail to the plot (at least in Naruto's case).

So yes, I would prefer the anime go on break than god awful filler because the problem with Naruto airing every week is that it gets tiresome and repetitive (mainly because the filler is terrible and is always reoccurring constantly). Just end already dammit! I like how shows like Bleach, Fairy Tale, and Gintama will have some filler but then they'll go on breaks to let the manga go ahead. That way, filler doesn't become insufferable and silly and won't ruin the reputation of the series as much.

For example, I would rather Hunter x Hunter go on a break so it can preserve the quality of the manga than just airing throw away filler arcs for months on end.


Totally agreed. I would rather it go on break and watch other anime, rather than to be caught in the disappointment of seeing a Chunin Exam in place of what's to come. That goes for all of the long running anime. I could only imagine how much more I would respect Naruto, Fairy Tail, Bleach and anime of that ilk, if they didn't throw stupid crap in the middle of major developments. It would be a different story if they were are high quality filler, but they just mail it in on 90 percent of it, because they're already so busy turning the actually manga into anime.
5649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/8/15 , edited 2/8/15
All the filler arcs in bleach...
Posted 2/8/15 , edited 2/8/15

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

Nah, I would much rather it go on breaks. Some of the filler is ok and is understandable, but putting entire filler arcs right before major plots points is just plain stupid. I feel like I've been cheated when that shit like that happens. Plus, a lot of fillers are pointless and just add unnecessary detail to the plot (at least in Naruto's case).


I don't understand that. Like not at all. So you'd rather be given no content at all than to be given additional content that you can watch at your leisure. That makes no sense to me. They are giving you more than what you bargained for, how is that a thing to complain about?


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

So yes, I would prefer the anime go on break than god awful filler because the problem with Naruto airing every week is that it gets tiresome and repetitive (mainly because the filler is terrible and is always reoccurring constantly). Just end already dammit! I like how shows like Bleach, Fairy Tale, and Gintama will have some filler but then they'll go on breaks to let the manga go ahead. That way, filler doesn't become insufferable and silly and won't ruin the reputation of the series as much.


Multiple problems with this:

1. How can you say that the filler is god awful if you don't watch it? The filler last years was actually pretty damn good, for Naruto standards that is.
2. If it gets too repitive for you having to watch Naruto every week, then don't. People tell me it's much more enjoyable watching it in blocks, which is something I can agree about in general. Putting in filler arcs in between is exactly the same thing as going on break, with the exception that you get some additional Anime if you happen to be interested in that and the studio makes more money they can then use on the series. How is that not a win-win situation?
3. Filler arcs change nothing about the core story of an Anime, as that remains the same seeing how fillers are just there to fill the space in between. If it's insufferable and silly to you, you do not need to watch it in order to follow the main story.
4. Reputation doesn't mean anything. Naruto's reputation is pretty damn good. It's one of the most popular Anime out there and doing just fine, from what I've heard at least. And if you're talking about forums like this, I don't think anyone out there involved with a series like this will care about their series having a certain reputation within a "hardcore fandom".


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

For example, I would rather Hunter x Hunter go on a break so it can preserve the quality of the manga than just airing throw away filler arcs for months on end.


Again, I don't get that. It's like complaining about OVA's coming out. If you're only interested in the core story, then skip the filler, which is easy to do when it is put into arcs, you will miss nothing directly connected to the core story. If you want to find out more about the universe and the characters, watch the filler, you will probably enjoy it. Filler doesn't lessen the quality of the core story an Anime has.



By the way: I can't believe I am actually defending the medicore mess that is the Naruto Anime

Edit:


supasoggyrolle wrote:

Totally agreed. I would rather it go on break and watch other anime


Why don't you just go, watch other Anime and wait for the filler to be over then? Not like I haven't done so before (boat journey of doom for example).
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.