First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
If somebody offers you to pay for your college or tutor, and living expenses.
Posted 2/9/15
If somebody offers you to pay for your college or tutor, and living expenses. Will you take the offer ?

So let say there something you want to learn but you are unable to afford it or can but your work take all your time, and cannot put the time into learning the skill. But your friend or your family offer to pay for your living expenses and tutor or even college. With the condition being that you devoted your time into learning the skill. Will you take the opportunity ? Remember it can take up to 2 or 3 years to get good a something and this person is offering you a head star with the condition being you will devoted yourself into learning the skill. And remember this is something you really want to learn and live off it. And now you get this opportunity that you will never probably ever get again. An may be your only chance to properly learn it.
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/9/15 , edited 2/9/15
This should get a resounding 'YES' from anyone who isn't an idiot. There's very little reason not to accept.

Isn't this what many people are doing when they get grants and scholarships and go to college anyway?
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 2/9/15
I've already had that chance and I blew it. (it, more specifically my achilles tendon)

Plumbing isn't bad either... regular hours, Monday through Friday, and all the digging helps maintain my body.

The oil industry layoffs are hurting though. The less money flowing to the citizens the less demand for new housing purchases leading to less contracts for building. Finding a decent job right now (in south La) would be near impossible right now so I am glad I have anything at all.
4957 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Kanada
Offline
Posted 2/9/15
Vice versa. I paid for my sisters college funds :p
13951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / F / Washington, USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/15
Family.. Yes..
Close friends.. maybe
Anyone else.. No

Generally a gift like that, that big, comes with a lot of unwritten expectations and, if you aren't careful who it is, can be held over your head for years and years. A lot of people with things that big, see themselves as a 'rescuer' and once the good feelings from the initial being helpful wear off, get upset that they aren't feeling 'appreciated' enough and start to see the person as being 'ungrateful' then they start resenting the person and making additional conditions or threatening to yank the support out from under them.

A good example of something similar to this would be what happened to my sister when she went to the university. She was hoping to avoid dorm costs, so she accepted a part time position as a live-in helper to a man and his wife. They would provide room and board, and she would help out with caring for the wife (who was in ill health) and do chores. It evolved swiftly into her working ALL the time she wasn't specifically in classes WITHOUT any of the time off she was supposed to have off according to the agreement.

You just have to be really careful with things that are 'too good to be true' sometimes..
22896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Corner of Moon &...
Offline
Posted 2/9/15
YES! Easy answer, why turn down such a golden opportunity?
85265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Online
Posted 2/9/15 , edited 2/9/15
Heck, if I had someone who would even CO-SIGN a loan for me I would be happy. I would have graduated already rather than work full-time and school only 2/3 semesters a year because I can't afford Summer semester. I pay all my tuition in cash because no one in my immediate family has good enough credit to even co-sign. My great-uncle won $3,000,000 in the lottery about 8 years ago and he still has most of it but refuses to help not even co-sign. Sure, he doesn't know me that well, but I'm his sister's grandson. Money > Family for him though.
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/9/15
The government is already doing that for me. I took it as soon as I got the chance.
2461 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/15
Um duh? Would be a huge yes from me.
Posted 2/9/15
No.

I've already had a formal education.

And I think if I'm interested in something, I can self teach myself most things... but not anything mathematical related because I have a huge aversion to numbers... I don't even think the best teachers can make me learn mathematics.

Posted 2/9/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

No.

I've already had a formal education.

And I think if I'm interested in something, I can self teach myself most things... but not anything mathematical related because I have a huge aversion to numbers... I don't even think the best teachers can make me learn mathematics.




Me too. No matter how much I try I unable to learn mathematics. Manly because is boring to me or the people who try to teach me make it boring to me. Now if we talk about history then I may well be a encyclopedia.
Posted 2/9/15
Depends on your situation
Posted 2/9/15 , edited 2/9/15

KarenAraragi wrote:
Me too. No matter how much I try I unable to learn mathematics. Manly because is boring to me or the people who try to teach me make it boring to me. Now if we talk about history then I may well be a encyclopedia.



You can't make a boring subject become fun. At some point, you still have to use your brain to do the numbers etc. And ain't nobody got time for that, except them mathletes.

In history, at least you can cosplay as Romans and pretend to act like you're living in that time period and learning about it in the process of having fun.

Posted 2/9/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:
Me too. No matter how much I try I unable to learn mathematics. Manly because is boring to me or the people who try to teach me make it boring to me. Now if we talk about history then I may well be a encyclopedia.



You can't make a boring subject become fun. At some point, you still have to use your brain to do the numbers etc. And ain't nobody got time for that, except them mathletes.

In history, at least you can cosplay as Romans and pretend to act like you're living in that time period and learning about it in the process of having fun.



Well I obviously I do know math. Is just the advance shit that send me to sleep.
27158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/9/15
I wouldn't. Even if it's theoretically no-strings-attached, it still gives them a degree of control/influence. I refuse to let anyone have that degree of control over me; I'd rather wait until I can afford it myself.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.