First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Introverts and Extroverts Have Different Brains.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 2/13/15 , edited 2/13/15

Shwuishu wrote:

I'm most definitely an introvert. I've been identified as such for as long as I can remember. And it does get annoying when everyone asks the "Why so quiet?" question and when your parents are like "What did I do wrong? I exposed you to so many people and you still turn out like this?"

The thing is though, I feel in my element when I'm meeting people for the first time (in a casual setting of course). And I do find reward from hanging out with people and being in a good party. I can be the most talkative person in the room, though that rarely happens. And, it doesn't really matter whether the people I hang out with are extroverts or introvert, I just have to like hanging out with them for me to enjoy their company. So this whole introversion/extroversion thing is more like a sliding scale with me falling heavily in the introvert end but not quite at the extreme end.


Introversion doesn't necessarily mean quietness or being reserved. There are many sociable introverts just as there are many reserved extroverts. Its definition mainly concerns whether or not social interactions saps mental energy from you/you need to recharge after seeing people/etc. You could very well fall into the category of an extrovert that might not be in the right environment.
1096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Heavens
Offline
Posted 2/13/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

I don't think there are any cultures that like quiet, contemplative people... sorry. That is the honest truth.




Isn't what you just said a generalization?
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/13/15
So, how you're going to categorize Bruce Wayne/Batman?

Can a guy have both?
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 2/13/15

Pastasaurus wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

I don't think there are any cultures that like quiet, contemplative people... sorry. That is the honest truth.




Isn't what you just said a generalization?


In some cases they're correct, generally those who are more outspoken and build bridges/a lot of interpersonal relationships are usually more likely to succeed in areas such as academia/financially as it's easier to build networks when you're more extroverted, in a sense. So I get where he's coming from and I think he meant it as introverts have a tougher time in most cultures because of their reservedness. Not many cultures go out of their way to find and hone the more quiet individuals... in the US the ones who have a way with words and are able to talk to others are the ones who succeed... not saying there aren't cases of very successful introverts. You do understand what I mean though. A personal experience of mine are my friends who are art majors--those who's work might be on the mediocre side but is very good at networking tend to get more shows and opportunities vs. very talented individuals who are a bit more introverted... they have less opportunities because they're not as exposed to it.
17307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My Couch
Offline
Posted 2/13/15 , edited 2/13/15
Ah the Meyers Briggs personality test, I actually took that for a class a couple weeks ago. Pretty cool stuff.

Confirmed that I am a deeply rooted introvert which was hardly a surprise but what can you say.
Posted 2/13/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

What about extrovert that later become introverts in life? Do they get a new brain???


Your life experiences changes the make up of your brain. So one day you maybe be something but one day you may change. I used to like to eat candies but now I don't like it so much.
Posted 2/13/15
I am an introverts.
And I definitely feel like I perceive things differently than extroverts.
It involves a shit load more anxiety
and second-guessing.
I CAN become extroverted in select company
and it's...very nice. But I'm not very comfortable with even my friends after long periods of time.
That's why when I throw a party
I'm usually in the kitchen or cleaning up the whole time.
That makes me comfortable.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/13/15

Bavalt wrote:


Ooof.....

In short, you're redefining introversion to fit more of an MBTI /Jungian definition, based on inwardly directing one's energies. After that, you're using MBTI categories to reassess how much of our population is actually introverted.

I can kinda agree with that. I still have doubts about how much of our population is actually extroverted. I view a lot of really clingy self identified introverts who often feel the "need" to reach out and contact people. I also know that the shift to a cultural focus on introversion seems to have coincided with the rise of geek and internet culture and their mutual acceptance.

INFJ by the way.. >.>
32 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/13/15 , edited 2/13/15

KarenAraragi wrote:


Your life experiences changes the make up of your brain. So one day you maybe be something but one day you may change. I used to like to eat candies but now I don't like it so much.


According to personality theory, your central-most traits shouldn't change on a whim. You can't change the core makeup of your personality in just a day, or a moment. The example you use, candy, is different, as that is just a preference. I think it's possible for an introverted person to become less introverted, but not to switch completely. According to Cattell, the 16 traits that make up a personality exist on a scale. For our purposes, assume introversion is a 1, and extroversion is a 10. I think it's possible for a person to move from a 4 to a 5 in a few years, but I would consider it an impossibility for a 1 to move to a 10. That simply doesn't happen.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/13/15

onibrotonel wrote:

So, how you're going to categorize Bruce Wayne/Batman?

Can a guy have both?


I think he usually gets the MBTI type of INTJ.

The Bruce Wayne playboy image is just an image and even in the comics has been portrayed as such to distract and dissuade people from believing he's batman.
Posted 2/13/15 , edited 2/13/15

Yellingsquirrel wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:


Your life experiences changes the make up of your brain. So one day you maybe be something but one day you may change. I used to like to eat candies but now I don't like it so much.


According to personality theory, your central-most traits shouldn't change on a whim. You can't change the core makeup of your personality in just a day, or a moment. The example you use, candy, is different, as that is just a preference. I think it's possible for an introverted person to become less introverted, but not to switch completely. According to Cattell, the 16 traits that make up a personality exist on a scale. For our purposes, assume introversion is a 1, and extroversion is a 10. I think it's possible for a person to move from a 4 to a 5 in a few years, but I would consider it an impossibility for a 1 to move to a 10. That simply doesn't happen.


I did't say it happen over night unless something really psychological happen to the person. When I was young I used to talk to people a lot and try to had fun with them. But around went I was 17 year old I started to prefer being alone and started reading books, and started to do thing I will never do in the pass. Who I was before I was 17 year old change really fast for me went I turn 17 year old.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/13/15

KarenAraragi wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

What about extrovert that later become introverts in life? Do they get a new brain???


Your life experiences changes the make up of your brain. So one day you maybe be something but one day you may change. I used to like to eat candies but now I don't like it so much.


Further into some of these theories, they sometimes say you are developing your primary skills focusing on your main method, then developing your secondary while working on your first still, etc. till you got your main four by your early 20's. As you go through adulthood, your usage of your skills may make them stronger, but personality tests (other than being notoriously bad for predicting behavior or doing much of anything useful) especially MBTI are about preference, which theoretically reveals your preference in skills and modes of thought, and extroversion/introversion tend to be characteristics of your preferences in each variety of processing. (and everyone has the same 4 functions, both introverted and extroverted versions of each in MBTI, it's more about how they stack. According to Jung, there's a primary function with is either extroverted or introverted and the rest of the functions are the opposite of the primary, so everyone has some extroversion and introversion).

OCEAN's a bit different but has correlations and also has an extroversion/introversion trait.

Anyhow, as you get older, you use different skills, and though you retain usually the same preferences, you get better at the others, and it's harder to tell personality type outwardly as you get older because of it.
2524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Out of sight (But...
Offline
Posted 2/13/15
I'm quiet until I get drunk. Then, I ramble to myself for hours.. Too bad I'm courteous, or my wit and charm would actually be useful.
52969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/13/15
I used to be a super extrovert then I moved to another country ---> became super shy and introverted as well (hated social occasions) then I have coped with it and adapted quite well ----> became kinda extroverted again


I hate being an introvert Dx I have not read the whole thing butt... I don't think it changes (or at least had a drastic change) from my experience of being both
1656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F
Offline
Posted 2/13/15
I'm an introvert. I love privacy and do not like to be around people. I'm shy and socially awkward too, so socialization is kinda a struggle for me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.