First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply "professional" and "real" reviews?
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15
So I just found a video on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgr0QnjI0M&index=5&list=FLom9V54usC-LsH7ZpOdlNqA&ab_channel=LewiSenpai ) where someone said that you CAN'T and aren't ALLOWED to make a anime reviews unless you have a degree in literature and how to write reviews, claiming that people can't write good and valid reviews if they don't have a degree. Then he said that people who doesn't have a degree should call it a opinion instead of a review.

I personally think this is bullcrap since anyone should have the rights to make a review. Yes, some bad reviewers will make a hate/overprace a anime in a anime review.... But other online reviewers have learned how to use a critcle thinking from their years of reviewing.

So, what do you think?
85273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
That's like saying you can't write a book if you don't have an English degree. It's nonsense. There is no reason to take the guy seriously as he obviously lives in a special snowflake world.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15

Khaltazar wrote:

That's like saying you can't write a book if you don't have an English degree. It's nonsense. There is no reason to take the guy seriously as he obviously lives in a special snowflake world.


I also find it entertaining when he said we should call reviews "opinions"... Isn't that what a review is? A good review is suppose to tell you the premise about the anime and show you if you'll like or not and then tell you the reviewers opinion on the subject.
85273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 2/14/15

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


Khaltazar wrote:

That's like saying you can't write a book if you don't have an English degree. It's nonsense. There is no reason to take the guy seriously as he obviously lives in a special snowflake world.


I also find it entertaining when he said we should call reviews "opinions"... Isn't that what a review is? A good review is suppose to tell you the premise about the anime and show you if you'll like or not and then tell you the reviewers opinion on the subject.


Exactly, a review is just someone's opinion on something. The only other option is for a review to be fact-based eliminating all opinions which would destroy the very reason for a review as people seeking reviews want other people's opinions. The only thing I can think of being fact-based off the top of my head would be character descriptions and statements of "the story begins to climax at x episode."
Banned
358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15
it should be a rule that you can only review anime if you have good tastes
21444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15
Reviews ARE opinions. It's just how that opinion is backed up that will determine if a review is good or bad. Degrees are helpful, but I certainly don't think they're necessary for a good reviewer, especially if it's being done as a hobby.
Bavalt 
22031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
That's frankly ridiculous. If he thinks it makes such a big difference to have a degree, then it stands to reason that people should be able to tell "good" and "bad" reviews apart. Following that, a "good" reviewer would naturally accumulate a larger audience over time, negating the need for a rule like this. I can understand, say, surgery performed by people who aren't medically trained being illegal, as that could very well be a life or death situation, but it's not as if some crucial result is riding on a review. There's absolutely no reason to impose that kind of limitation. Hell, it basically infringes on freedom of speech. As the holder of a lit degree myself, I'm honestly shocked that another lit student would actually suggest limiting creative freedom like that.
501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / A Mile High
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15
There is a difference between a review and an opinion.

An opinion is simply that; a subjective evaluation of something based upon that individual's personal tastes. A review objectively compares something to a standard or ideal based upon a consistent set of criteria. A review can contain some level of opinion, otherwise it would be quite boring.

52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15
Literary degree...

Ha.
3953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15

Khaltazar wrote:

That's like saying you can't write a book if you don't have an English degree. It's nonsense. There is no reason to take the guy seriously as he obviously lives in a special snowflake world.


Snowflake world. Very. It seems.

But yeah. Reviews are usually critical analyzing. While it makes sense someone who has a Literature degree would be better to write review. It hardly matters since reviews are based on opinion no matter how you look at it. So not really necessary.

It is like when people try to find a difference in critiquing or reviewing. Either way you are taking a look at something and actually brealing it up to see what worked and what was the overall picture. This whether critiquing or reviewing is still going to have to contain good or bad connotations. All it needs is your reasonable arguments. Not just something that is merely based on something unfounded. As in back it up. Not just like or dislikes.

It is important for people to discover good reviewers on their own. And the best way is to check out reviewers and to see how well they can analyze by providing good arguments of the content.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
I like the other YouTube channel HISHE (How It Should Have Ended)
30780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15
A review is only as good as the reviewer. Diploma or paperwork notwithstanding. A review may criticize, but in the end is 'one person's opinion'. Ideally providing pros and cons with an opinion provided at the end.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/15

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

So I just found a video on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgr0QnjI0M&index=5&list=FLom9V54usC-LsH7ZpOdlNqA&ab_channel=LewiSenpai ) where someone said that you CAN'T and aren't ALLOWED to make a anime reviews unless you have a degree in literature and how to write reviews, claiming that people can't write good and valid reviews if they don't have a degree. Then he said that people who doesn't have a degree should call it a opinion instead of a review.

I personally think this is bullcrap since anyone should have the rights to make a review. Yes, some bad reviewers will make a hate/overprace a anime in a anime review.... But other online reviewers have learned how to use a critcle thinking from their years of reviewing.

So, what do you think?


You misspelled "Critical"...... lol

I get what he's saying, but I agree with you as well. I find most fan reviews are polarized between love and hate with little critical analysis of a series.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
Besides, why are you concerned with that video when you just stumbled upon it?

That video will be piled under by other videos.

Chillax, dude. Take a chill pill. Your blood pressure is poppin.'
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
Makes me wonder what direction do you go thru to stumble on videos like that on YouTube.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.