First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply The Death Penalty
Posted 2/14/15
Reading the comments here makes me want to strangle a cat.
79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
What does it mean that we ( americans or industrialized nations) live in the 21st century? we have cars that can park themselves and a black president and you somehow expect people to behave and be nicer to each other? human beings have really not progressed as much as we like to think.


" The year was one of a paradox. America had never been so prosperous nor heard more about poverty. It had never had more military power nor been more conscious of the limitations of military power. The government had never done more for the poor in a single year nor had more trouble with the poor. it had never spent more money on higher education nor met with more protests- and even defiance- on college and university campuses. It had never talked more about the importance of cooperation among the Western allies and received less cooperation."
this was a quote from The World Book in 1967 ( The World Book is basically like a year book cataloging world events)
4138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/17/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

Reading the comments here makes me want to strangle a cat.


These comments make me want to strangle a Gay Asian Boy.
7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15

trillinko wrote:

I'm pro-death penalty. You can say,Oh it is inhumane, unnecessary ,or even pointless, but you haven't seen a different point of view yet. Also, before I explain I'm saying this on a political view not a religious view or belief , I'll safe that for another time. Well for one there are people out there (for example Hitler) who you can say deserve the death penalty , you know killing about billions of jews..., but look what if a person killed your family and he got nothing but 30-40 years ( just think of a situation don't say he will proably get life) I suppose its inhumane to get justice for your family. Secondly, this justice system is stupid anyway If im white and say im retarted or insane I can get out of anything. Basically you say the death penalty is humane because you haven't experienced something that hasn't affected you or your family ...



Extreme emotions are not the best way to make an informed decision of this magnitude.
Posted 2/14/15
The only real downside to killing an innocent person on death row is that the real criminal needs to be hunted down and killed too. The number of innocent people killed is estimated to be around 5% which is acceptable as far as I am concerned. I would say even double that is fine. It sucks for them and their family, sure, but it's not like I am going to cry over it.
79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
and too be fair the United States as well as any other nation that uses missiles or drone strikes also kills innocent people as acceptable collateral damage while eliminating targets that are criminals so I can see how your argument that the number of innocent people that are potentially being killed in jail is fair. BUT at the same time if human beings have the mentality you have we might go too far and execute more than we need to.
9376 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
The death penalty in its current form is terrible. With the large number of automatic appeals, its more expensive than life without parole and takes way too long to carry out. And I don't care what anyone says, it's not a deterrent. Hell, the Romans performed public crucifixions, and they still had crime. Besides, I think life in prison is a much better punishment. I mean, you can't feel any remorse, or suffer the intense boredom of prison life (I'm assuming it's boring, never been) if your dead right?
13052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 2/14/15

geauxtigers1989 wrote:


trillinko wrote:

I'm pro-death penalty. You can say,Oh it is inhumane, unnecessary ,or even pointless, but you haven't seen a different point of view yet. Also, before I explain I'm saying this on a political view not a religious view or belief , I'll safe that for another time. Well for one there are people out there (for example Hitler) who you can say deserve the death penalty , you know killing about billions of jews..., but look what if a person killed your family and he got nothing but 30-40 years ( just think of a situation don't say he will proably get life) I suppose its inhumane to get justice for your family. Secondly, this justice system is stupid anyway If im white and say im retarted or insane I can get out of anything. Basically you say the death penalty is humane because you haven't experienced something that hasn't affected you or your family ...



Extreme emotions are not the best way to make an informed decision of this magnitude.


If you put it in that sense then Hitler ( If he didn't kill himself) should just be put in jail for what he did..

7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/14/15

trillinko wrote:


geauxtigers1989 wrote:





Extreme emotions are not the best way to make an informed decision of this magnitude.


If you put it in that sense then Hitler ( If he didn't kill himself) should just be put in jail for what he did..



I understand. And I'm completely fine with that.
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
U.S. is one one of the only modern and western countries to still implement the death penalty. It is deplorable, and if you are gonna kill someone do it quickly and efficiently. A quick gunshot to the end. no need for there to be an audience or spend money make drug cocktails.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
IMO the argument of whether there should or shouldn't be the death penalty isn't the issue. Those who say there shouldn't have never come face to face with the perpetrators on that list. Some people are not fit for society and society shouldn't carry the burden of sustaining them.

The real issue should be the requirements needed to award that penalty. The evidence to make that decision should be so solid the chances of any mistake are astronomical. Even a confession from the accused should not be enough as they may have been coerced. It should be harder to get, but it should definitely remain. I can't help but feel anyone who doesn't want it is in some form naïve.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15
Overall, despite the flaws in the system, I believe I am for the death penalty.

The moral part is entirely subjective. The morality issue is totally up for debate. I believe there is a point where the atrocities committed cannot be fairly punished with a jail sentence. Some people are beyond all hope and, therefore, should be gotten rid of. Some people do some monstrous things. Their punishment is, then, NOT cruel or unusual if it is of a similar nature. There is a balance of give-and-take in commercial transactions. This requires some consistency, not an arbitrary adjustment just because all killing is cruel or unusual, or some BS excuse like that. Some people deserve to be tortured before being killed but, hey, at least even I'm not willing to go there. Death as a maximum penalty is good.

Problems with the system are different than problems with the penalty itself. I do not like the current system. Let's think about this for a moment. How is the death penalty wrong because it's expensive? How is it wrong because innocents are killed? The problem in these situations isn't the penalty itself. It is the system that administers it. You can literally make the same argument for imprisonment. Falsely accused people get imprisoned. It costs money that could be spent elsewhere. It is horrible for people to be locked up. But that doesn't get anywhere because wrongdoers require punishment.

For instance, the conviction of innocents. This has nothing to do at all with the death penalty in and of itself. And how much better would it be to jail someone for life innocently? Would it really be better? Abolishing the death penalty doesn't make false convictions disappear. That requires a change in the court system. And, even then, mistakes will happen on occasion.

Costs: Currently, the death penalty is administered horribly. The appeals process is far too lengthy, the officials and professionals involved are far too biased, and the police are scum. There needs to be a shorter time frame in which appeals may be brought. People working with death row inmates should be evaluated thoroughly. The police just need to stop screwing everyone over. Basically, where we are now, we are spending massive amounts of time unnecessarily on papers that hardly even get read and shoddy evidence and procedure. Every time that inmate files an appeal, a crappy law guy will pretend to read it and then gets compensated for his time. Repeat for 15 years. The process is unfortunate but I still consider it a separate problem than that of the death penalty itself. Make no mistake, though, the current system is screwed up and requires a complete revamp. Even if you're innocent, there's very little chance they'll even figure this out with the current system.

Methods: I don't mind the lethal injection route but it really bugs me that there are STILL somehow people who survive botched attempts at this. How the hell do you 'medical professionals' mess up so badly? Hit the guy with a tranquilizer, then a double the dose of the lethal compound. Problem solved. It guarantees that everyone dies.
13052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 2/14/15 , edited 2/14/15

geauxtigers1989 wrote:


trillinko wrote:


geauxtigers1989 wrote:





Extreme emotions are not the best way to make an informed decision of this magnitude.


If you put it in that sense then Hitler ( If he didn't kill himself) should just be put in jail for what he did..



I understand. And I'm completely fine with that.



One more thing , what if you killed millions people , would you just want to be in prison?
Also, you gotta think some people are just not fit for normal life as in cannabals?
31119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
I'm ambivalent to the death penalty morally, as I can see logical arguments both for and against on moral grounds.

Financially speaking I'm against it - it's cheaper to keep someone locked away for the rest of their natural life than to execute them.

In terms of practicality, if we are going to execute people there are certainly more effective and humane ways of going about it.

Off the top of my head (no pun intended), the guillotine is far more reliable than any cocktail of drugs - not to mention faster. There is also no reason a doctor couldn't sedate them prior to execution as (unlike lethal drugs) it wouldn't violate their oaths to administer them.
7493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / In a world that d...
Offline
Posted 2/14/15
The reason why lethal injections are being botched is because the wrong kind of drug was being used to kill the inmates. The European companies that make the drugs used in the cocktail that makes lethal injections both lethal but painless are refusing to export them for the fact that they're being used to carry out executions. so they used substitutes and look what happened.

So yes, in this case, the firing squad would be an alternative.

Still, the death penalty should be based on logic, not emotion. What Punk_Mela says is true, some people are just not able to fit into society, or rather, just humanity period. It is a heavy burden to take a life regardless and every person should be given that chance to life. If you're a serial killer, serial rapist, or show signs that you cannot or will not atone for your sins against humanity, then the death penalty is probably the only way out. With the value of life in mind though, we cannot open ourselves up to mistakes on the issuance of the death penalty and the carrying out of executions.

As for prisons being overpopulated, that solution is easy - reduction in sentences. The US has the highest sentences for the most petty of crimes out of any civilized nation and we are paying the price for it - literally. Issuing long prison sentences is the equivalent to locking away your problems until they become worse problems, especially because current prison societies hardly ever serve their intended purpose anymore - which is apparently contrary to popular desire, REHABILITATION INTO SOCIETY. We shouldn't focus on long sentences, we should focus on productive, short, and succinct rehabilitation after a decently fitting imprisonment for the actual penalty of the crime.

This prison argument and access to broadband are probably the only two times you'll ever hear me make the argument that segments of America should be more like Europe.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.