First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Pokémon copying yugioh?
LokiLB 
41570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

Genbu89 wrote:


LokiLB wrote:

I guess it's sort of like Hey Arnold or Rugrats, where there's some progression but not much. It's not frustrating that Tommy never seems to get older, but it's frustrating that Ash never gets anywhere.

Maybe it's annoying because I watched the first season of Pokemon. That one gives the appearance of going somewhere. If I'd just jumped in with some of the later ones, I might not expect Ash to make any progress.


Well that's arguably because the anime was originally supposed to be only one season (or at least cover the Kanto region), much like the games were originally supposed to end after Gen II. Still, the franchise is going strong so they'll keep making new seasons (and games).

What bothers me about it isn't that Ash doesn't get anywhere (he does inevitably get all of the region's badges, only to fail in every League conference) but that he's basically "reset" at the beginning of each new season. Since the start of Hoenn every time he goes to a new region he leaves behind all of his companions and 'mons except his beloved Pikachu (which should be grossly overleveled at this point) and makes stupid rookie mistakes over the course of the season.

Since Brock's departure Ash has basically become a relic of the show's early years - he could easily be replaced by the current game generation's male protagonist - but I guess they have to keep him in there to maintain continuity (and keep said beloved Pikachu in the limelight). Long-time fans would be livid, but I think it could spice up the formula, and I seriously doubt the target demographic would really care.


I guess the resetting is what I mean by 'goes anywhere'. It's like it can't decide whether to be zero continuity or not. You don't expect Wiley Coyote to learn and change, but you sort of expect Ash to.

You'd think they could come up with some sort of plot device for resetting Ash and Pikachu for each new region.
2841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 2/16/15
Well, if the copying was made into lower quality with less detail then I don't see the point in which they can't.

Ami'right?
215285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

PhantomGundam wrote:


latinaloverTX wrote:


its the most powerful card in the yugioh universe


And it will never become real. Nor will any of the other cards in its archetype.


Thank goodness. I can't even come up with a tactic to get rid of it. It isn't immune to return to the hand though right?
51375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

stark700 wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:


latinaloverTX wrote:


its the most powerful card in the yugioh universe


And it will never become real. Nor will any of the other cards in its archetype.


Thank goodness. I can't even come up with a tactic to get rid of it. It isn't immune to return to the hand though right?


It's been a while since I last read the effect, but I remember it wasn't immune to hand return. Neo Spacian Grand Mole > this card.

215285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

PhantomGundam wrote:

It's been a while since I last read the effect, but I remember it wasn't immune to hand return. Neo Spacian Grand Mole > this card.



80068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / ATX
Offline
Posted 2/16/15 , edited 2/16/15


he can stop one monster from attack


stark700 wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

It's been a while since I last read the effect, but I remember it wasn't immune to hand return. Neo Spacian Grand Mole > this card.





5 Level 13 monsters

Cannot be destroyed by battle except with "Number" monsters. When a "Number C1000: Numerronius" you control is destroyed: You can Xyz Summon this card from your Extra Deck, by using it as the Xyz Material. This card cannot be destroyed by card effects, or declare an attack. Your opponent cannot target other monsters for an attack. During your opponent's End Phase, if your opponent did not declare an attack this turn, they lose the Duel. When an opponent's monster declares an attack: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate that attack, and if you do, gain Life Points equal to that monster's ATK.


1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

LokiLB wrote:

I guess the resetting is what I mean by 'goes anywhere'. It's like it can't decide whether to be zero continuity or not. You don't expect Wiley Coyote to learn and change, but you sort of expect Ash to.

You'd think they could come up with some sort of plot device for resetting Ash and Pikachu for each new region.


The difference is that Looney Toons (etc.) don't follow a linear storyline; the Pokémon anime (and most anime in general, for that matter) does. Causality applies in anime, wheras it typically doesn't in Western animation. You can watch any episode of most Western cartoons and understand the plotline because it's 15 minutes long and those 15 minutes don't change anything; however in most anime the story continues across not only the two 15(ish) minute segments of the program but across multiple episodes. So your typical anime protagonist learns and grows throughout the story, while this is highly atypical in Western animation.

Ash... doesn't. Well, he does, but in a limited fashion, as we've identified. The problem is that his stated goal is to be a "Pokémon Master" - though the anime never clarifies what exactly this means, he can't achieve either of the widely accepted definitions. Ash can't complete his Pokédex (the most complete definition of being a Pokémon Master) because the staff never knows if or when they'll stop adding new Pokémon, and they can't just have him say "Welp I'm not a Master anymore, better go to this new region and catch me some new species!" Also, he never really tries to catch many wild Pokémon - he typically just makes friends with them, or whatever, and continues on his way. Some join him of their own will, but he rarely "captures" any Pokémon the conventional way.

The other loose definition of being a Pokémon Master is to have won a regional conference, but because the show must go on, Ash can't win one of those either for largely similar reasons ("I'm only a Master in this region, better go conquer a new one!"). If he were a regional champion people might actually know who he is too, which would ruin some of the adventure; compounded with the number of regions he's been to if he'd won a number of them he'd be a high-profile celebrity. Kind of tough to be an adventurer when everyone knows who you are.

... and I really can't think of a plot device to "reset" Ash and Pikachu at the end of every region. So it's just touring a new region, getting his butt kicked in the regional conference, and leaving everyone behind at the start of the next region (plus making rookie mistakes... again). Kind of makes you feel bad for Serena in X/Y if you think about it, unless they actually do retire Ash at the end of that region. Which probably won't happen.
LokiLB 
41570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/17/15

Genbu89 wrote:

The difference is that Looney Toons (etc.) don't follow a linear storyline; the Pokémon anime (and most anime in general, for that matter) does. Causality applies in anime, wheras it typically doesn't in Western animation. You can watch any episode of most Western cartoons and understand the plotline because it's 15 minutes long and those 15 minutes don't change anything; however in most anime the story continues across not only the two 15(ish) minute segments of the program but across multiple episodes. So your typical anime protagonist learns and grows throughout the story, while this is highly atypical in Western animation.

Ash... doesn't. Well, he does, but in a limited fashion, as we've identified. The problem is that his stated goal is to be a "Pokémon Master" - though the anime never clarifies what exactly this means, he can't achieve either of the widely accepted definitions. Ash can't complete his Pokédex (the most complete definition of being a Pokémon Master) because the staff never knows if or when they'll stop adding new Pokémon, and they can't just have him say "Welp I'm not a Master anymore, better go to this new region and catch me some new species!" Also, he never really tries to catch many wild Pokémon - he typically just makes friends with them, or whatever, and continues on his way. Some join him of their own will, but he rarely "captures" any Pokémon the conventional way.

The other loose definition of being a Pokémon Master is to have won a regional conference, but because the show must go on, Ash can't win one of those either for largely similar reasons ("I'm only a Master in this region, better go conquer a new one!"). If he were a regional champion people might actually know who he is too, which would ruin some of the adventure; compounded with the number of regions he's been to if he'd won a number of them he'd be a high-profile celebrity. Kind of tough to be an adventurer when everyone knows who you are.

... and I really can't think of a plot device to "reset" Ash and Pikachu at the end of every region. So it's just touring a new region, getting his butt kicked in the regional conference, and leaving everyone behind at the start of the next region (plus making rookie mistakes... again). Kind of makes you feel bad for Serena in X/Y if you think about it, unless they actually do retire Ash at the end of that region. Which probably won't happen.


And that is why I tend to prefer anime over western animation (ignoring all the exceptions). I like continuity.

The only plot device I can think of at the moment is having some legendary pokemon pull what Mewtwo did at the end of his movie. But then you couldn't have characters from past seasons show up or they'd figure out something weird was going on.
5058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 2/17/15
There's some kind of rivalry between the two franchises, which both started in 1996, where every once in awhile one accuses the other of copying eachother.

Aside from both being card games, I think it has to do with Capsule Monsters, a game that existed in Yugioh's original manga at the same time as being the name Nintendo intended to use before settling with Pocket Monsters.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.