Post Reply No notification if post response is edited
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/16/15
If I attempt to put multiple replies into one post reply, only the person who I reply to before I edit the post gets notified. The rest of the people in my subsequent replies edited into the same reply do not get notifications.

Either relax the rule on successive replies to different people (don't consider them "spam" because I want people notified) OR fix the problem please.
One Punch Mod
85903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

nanikore2 wrote:

If I attempt to put multiple replies into one post reply, only the person who I reply to before I edit the post gets notified. The rest of the people in my subsequent replies edited into the same reply do not get notifications.

Either relax the rule on successive replies to different people (don't consider them "spam" because I want people notified) OR fix the problem please.


I've moved this to Suggestions / Feedback. I agree the current way that notifications work is sub-optimal.

One thing that helps a little (in case you didn't know already) is that if the posts you want to reply to are on the same page, you can check the box next to "Quote" in each post then click "Quote Selected" at the bottom of the page, so that all the quotes end up in a single entry and everyone quoted there will get a notification.

I realize that doesn't work great if the posts you want to quote are on different pages, but it should at least help in some situations.
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

nanikore2 wrote:

If I attempt to put multiple replies into one post reply, only the person who I reply to before I edit the post gets notified. The rest of the people in my subsequent replies edited into the same reply do not get notifications.

While "quote selected" gets around the problem for posts on the same page, the way I handle replying to posts on multiple pages is to go ahead and create a new post, grab the text from it, edit the previous post inserting it there, and then delete the now duplicate posting (a function which is only available for a short time).

Even when a post is deleted, the person still gets a notification, and when they click on the link they'll land in the same area of the page as the post I appended it to.

43650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/16/15

nanikore2 wrote:

If I attempt to put multiple replies into one post reply, only the person who I reply to before I edit the post gets notified. The rest of the people in my subsequent replies edited into the same reply do not get notifications.

Either relax the rule on successive replies to different people (don't consider them "spam" because I want people notified) OR fix the problem please.


There is a way, but it's not optimal. It's not too bad if they are all on the same page, and Lorreen has explained that.

But when they span multiple pages then you have to start gathering permalinks.

A permalink is the stored unique number for each post, and you can get it by right-clicking the word within the first post you want to quote, then open it in a new window or tab



and then copying the last set of numbers at the end, after the # sign, from the resulting URL bar:



You will need to collect that number for each post you want to send a notification to the originator. By now you are already thinking, this is too much trouble, and you're right... But stay with me, there is power here... You can quote and notify from other threads, even closed ones, and it will grab and quote all the text for you from each post you specify. Just make sure the first permalink number in your list is the thread you want it to go in...

So now you have the numbers, and you are still interested in doing this, right? So here's how you use those numbers...

You need to open yet another window or tab and start by pasting this in the URL bar, replacing the X's with the first permalink, but do not hit enter just yet...
http://www.crunchyroll.com/quoteforumpost?id_list[]=xxxxxxxx

Here's how that looks with the number from above:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/quoteforumpost?id_list[]=4928399

Now for each quote/notification you want to send, just add each additional permalink number to the URL you have going, replacing the x's with one permalink number each time:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/quoteforumpost?id_list[]=4928399&id_list[]=xxxxxxxx

Not sure how many you can have, I've never done more than three myself. When you finally get done adding the last &id_list[]=xxxxxxxx, then hit enter and it will bring up a page you can work with the quoted text and respond to it. When finished, just click the post reply button as usual.

TL:DR: well, I understand, who wants to read all of that anyway...
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/17/15

lorreen wrote:

One thing that helps a little (in case you didn't know already) is that if the posts you want to reply to are on the same page, you can check the box next to "Quote" in each post then click "Quote Selected" at the bottom of the page


Thanks. Gonna give this a practice here....


TheAncientOne wrote:

While "quote selected" gets around the problem for posts on the same page, the way I handle replying to posts on multiple pages is to go ahead and create a new post, grab the text from it, edit the previous post inserting it there, and then delete the now duplicate posting (a function which is only available for a short time).



I sort of did that a few times, and sort of wondered whether the recipients get multiple notifications or not. Now I know they don't, I guess I can go back to doing it.


asharka wrote:

There is a way, but it's not optimal. It's not too bad if they are all on the same page, and Lorreen has explained that.

But when they span multiple pages then you have to start gathering permalinks.

A permalink is the stored unique number for each post, and you can get it by right-clicking the word within the first post you want to quote, then open it in a new window or tab



and then copying the last set of numbers at the end, after the # sign, from the resulting URL bar:



You will need to collect that number for each post you want to send a notification to the originator. By now you are already thinking, this is too much trouble, and you're right... But stay with me, there is power here... You can quote and notify from other threads, even closed ones, and it will grab and quote all the text for you from each post you specify. Just make sure the first permalink number in your list is the thread you want it to go in...

So now you have the numbers, and you are still interested in doing this, right? So here's how you use those numbers...

You need to open yet another window or tab and start by pasting this in the URL bar, replacing the X's with the first permalink, but do not hit enter just yet...
http://www.crunchyroll.com/quoteforumpost?id_list[]=xxxxxxxx

Here's how that looks with the number from above:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/quoteforumpost?id_list[]=4928399

Now for each quote/notification you want to send, just add each additional permalink number to the URL you have going, replacing the x's with one permalink number each time:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/quoteforumpost?id_list[]=4928399&id_list[]=xxxxxxxx

TL:DR: well, I understand, who wants to read all of that anyway...


Thanks. I'll try learning to do that when my internet-addled attention span can handle it....
You must be logged in to post.