First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Denominations
Born Again Mod
24574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/17/15
What variety of Christianity do you belong to? Are you a Mennonite? Catholic? Southern Baptist? Or Non-Denominational! Let's self-identify here.

I'm mostly curious as it's interesting to see the variety in the greater Christian church.

I'm Southern Baptist, but grew up United Methodist. How about you?
Christian
221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/18/15
I had a mostly Catholic upbringing, but I'm currently a member of a Wesleyan church.
Christian
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/18/15
I don't claim a denomination(guess that would make me non-denominational) as I do not like the idea of denominations(that's a rant for another time ). I was raised Southern Baptist.
Born Again Mod
24574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/19/15 , edited 2/19/15

aaronluis26 wrote:

I had a mostly Catholic upbringing, but I'm currently a member of a Wesleyan church.

Interesting. I was raised United Methodist, which is similar to the Wesleyan tradition. What made you decide to switch? Was it a family thing or a personal decision? Just curious.


Ctonhunter wrote:

I don't claim a denomination(guess that would make me non-denominational) as I do not like the idea of denominations(that's a rant for another time ). I was raised Southern Baptist.

Interesting. We can have the discussion here, if you're interested

That said, are you more of a "high church" or "low church" kind of guy? Generally non-denominational churches I've found tend to be more "low church" style.
Christian
60486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Bay Area, CA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/15
I don't particularly claim a denomination specifically. However, as mentioned in the intro thread, I come from an independent Bible church background for the most part (when I first came to Christ, I actually attended a charismatic church for a while). Theologically, this seems closest to the Southern Baptists as far as the big-name denominations go-- and perhaps not surprisingly, I'm attending an SBC church right now.
Christian
14927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 2/22/15
Hello, everyone!

I was a Baptist until a few years ago. After living around the Amish / Mennonite communities of Paradise, Pennsylvania (yes, I actually lived in "paradise"), I decided to join the Mennonite Church because I had more in common with their core beliefs.
Christian
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/22/15 , edited 2/22/15

mdmrn wrote:



Ctonhunter wrote:

I don't claim a denomination(guess that would make me non-denominational) as I do not like the idea of denominations(that's a rant for another time ). I was raised Southern Baptist.

Interesting. We can have the discussion here, if you're interested

That said, are you more of a "high church" or "low church" kind of guy? Generally non-denominational churches I've found tend to be more "low church" style.


High church and low church? I'm not familiar with those terms. Sorry if my reply was late...I forgot to respond


Pudding_Head wrote:

Hello, everyone!

I was a Baptist until a few years ago. After living around the Amish / Mennonite communities of Paradise, Pennsylvania (yes, I actually lived in "paradise"), I decided to join the Mennonite Church because I had more in common with their core beliefs.


Welcome Pudding_Head. I'm not to familiar with the Mennonite denomination. What is the Mennonite doctrine like?
Christian
14927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 2/22/15

Ctonhunter wrote:

Pudding_Head wrote:

Hello, everyone!

I was a Baptist until a few years ago. After living around the Amish / Mennonite communities of Paradise, Pennsylvania (yes, I actually lived in "paradise"), I decided to join the Mennonite Church because I had more in common with their core beliefs.


Welcome Pudding_Head. I'm not to familiar with the Mennonite denomination. What is the Mennonite doctrine like?


Much like all other denominations, the level of Mennonite "strictness" often varies from region to region or even church to church. In a nutshell, they are a slightly more strict version of Baptists, and I feel comfortable attending either church. In fact, a practicing Baptist probably wouldn't even realize they were attending a Mennonite church service!
Born Again Mod
24574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/23/15

Ctonhunter wrote:



High church and low church? I'm not familiar with those terms. Sorry if my reply was late...I forgot to respond

Both terms traditionally are Anglican in origin, but can be used outside of that church context. High churches are generally more structured, liturgically based with an emphasis on formality, structure, and tradition. They generally are less likely to change their worship service style over time. Low church tends to be less formal in structure, not as bound by a liturgical calendar, and can be less structured. Examples of each?
High Church: Anglican/Episcopalian, Catholic, Lutheran
Low Church: Non-denominational (generally speaking), Baptist, Some Methodist churches



Pudding_Head wrote:


Much like all other denominations, the level of Mennonite "strictness" often varies from region to region or even church to church. In a nutshell, they are a slightly more strict version of Baptists, and I feel comfortable attending either church. In fact, a practicing Baptist probably wouldn't even realize they were attending a Mennonite church service!

Makes sense. Much like most Baptist churches today, the Mennonites got their start as an off-shoot of the Anabaptist movement. Would make sense they'd have similarities.
Christian
48603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 2/27/15
I'm Catholic.
I love the Latin Mass and the Liturgies of the Eastern Churches,
Christian
13157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 2/27/15
I don't have a specific denomination. I will say my beliefs are very close to Baptists (not to be confused with Southern Baptist).
Christian
11662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 2/27/15 , edited 2/27/15
I guess just Christian? Does Calvinist count?
Christian
13157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 2/28/15
Well to what point are you Calvinist? For instance I am a 3 point Calvinist meaning I believe 3 of the 5 main Calvinist points. Here they are "The five points of Calvinism can be summarized by the acronym TULIP. T stands for total depravity, U for unconditional election, L for limited atonement, I for irresistible grace, and P for perseverance of the saints." So I disagree with 2 of them...Most people are 2 or even 1 point, but in all most people are scared of the word Calvinism because of the connotation that Calvinists believe we are robots because God predestines everything.
Born Again Mod
24574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 2/28/15

HuastecoOtaku wrote:

I'm Catholic.
I love the Latin Mass and the Liturgies of the Eastern Churches,

Welcome aboard! We don't have a lot of Catholics in the group, so nice to have you with us!

narutosonic330 wrote:

I guess just Christian? Does Calvinist count?

I'm guessing non-denominational? What church do you attend? Now I'm curious


Okami-Tamer wrote:

Well to what point are you Calvinist? For instance I am a 3 point Calvinist meaning I believe 3 of the 5 main Calvinist points. Here they are "The five points of Calvinism can be summarized by the acronym TULIP. T stands for total depravity, U for unconditional election, L for limited atonement, I for irresistible grace, and P for perseverance of the saints." So I disagree with 2 of them...Most people are 2 or even 1 point, but in all most people are scared of the word Calvinism because of the connotation that Calvinists believe we are robots because God predestines everything.


I know what you mean and I know some 5-Point Calvinists who get to the point where they feel there is little point in evangelizing as God pre-destines all things. I'm not a 5-point Calvinist, but I suppose I too am a 3 point Calvinist (TUP, I like to call myself).
Christian
14927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 3/1/15
It makes my heart glad to see new members!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.