First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Denominations
Born Again Mod
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 3/2/15

Pudding_Head wrote:

It makes my heart glad to see new members!

Me too
Christian
41494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/2/15
I'm Catholic, but pretty lapsed at the moment. Hopefully not for too much longer though.
Christian
11662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 3/2/15 , edited 3/3/15

Okami-Tamer wrote:

Well to what point are you Calvinist? For instance I am a 3 point Calvinist meaning I believe 3 of the 5 main Calvinist points. Here they are "The five points of Calvinism can be summarized by the acronym TULIP. T stands for total depravity, U for unconditional election, L for limited atonement, I for irresistible grace, and P for perseverance of the saints." So I disagree with 2 of them...Most people are 2 or even 1 point, but in all most people are scared of the word Calvinism because of the connotation that Calvinists believe we are robots because God predestines everything.


Well I guess not really Calvinist. I absolutely do not believe in God choosing you. Okay, I do, but i's so complicated to explain because God does choose you, but now YOU have to make a response to it. That sort of thing, does that make sense? Also the dying for a select few, totally do NOT believe in the way it is addressed.
Christian
13157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 3/3/15
I understand. I believe in total depravity, unconditional election, and perseverance of the saints. I believe that God chooses us in the way that He is omnipotent (all-knowing) so yeah of course He knows who is Christian and not. In the same way I believe that shouldn't stop us from evangelizing. Just because God knows everything even those who are and will be saved doesn't mean that your effort to evangelize doesn't matter, in fact the opposite we should be looking at people saying did God put me here to evangelize to these people and then go for it.
Born Again Mod
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 3/4/15 , edited 3/21/15

Okami-Tamer wrote:

I understand. I believe in total depravity, unconditional election, and perseverance of the saints. I believe that God chooses us in the way that He is omnipotent (all-knowing) so yeah of course He knows who is Christian and not. In the same way I believe that shouldn't stop us from evangelizing. Just because God knows everything even those who are and will be saved doesn't mean that your effort to evangelize doesn't matter, in fact the opposite we should be looking at people saying did God put me here to evangelize to these people and then go for it.

I get that view point. I'm kind of there too as a TUP Calvinist.

I view God's "election" and choosing us in this way: If I were to offer my son a piece of candy or a piece of broccoli, I know before he makes the decision he's going to eat the piece of candy. Even though I know the outcome, it doesn't mean I made the decision for him. That's how I always viewed God knowing who will/will not choose Christ. He knows the answer, but He didn't make the decision - we did.
Christian
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 4/11/15
Ex-amish, Independent fundamentalist baptist. Been an odd road.
Christian
14927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 4/11/15

retronatrix wrote:

Ex-amish, Independent fundamentalist baptist. Been an odd road.


Interesting!

I was a Fundamentalist Baptist (primarily because of the beliefs in "Biblical Separation" and shunning violence), and still am - for the most part - to this day. However, after living for years around the Amish in Paradise, Pennsylvania, I relate more closely with the Mennonites (plain life, plain dress, I tend to shun technology, and follow the Sermon on the Mount). But due to the lack of Mennonite churches in Alaska, I attend an independent Baptist church that closely follows fundamentalist beliefs. You can see photos of the church in the "Where we worship" topic.

Please feel free to proudly show everyone where you attend services!
Christian
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 4/11/15

Pudding_Head wrote:



I was a Fundamentalist Baptist (primarily because of the beliefs in "Biblical Separation" and shunning violence


We don't shun violence per se. There is leeway for protection, the military, defending one's family and such. But we are for separation basses on personal conviction in God and understanding.

I was raised in Lancaster as Old Order but my Paepp saw the liberalism of those too close to tourism and we moved towards a bit south of Bird In Hand for there was a stricter bishop in that district what was formerly Nebraska and kept the stricter ordenung.

Christian
15867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 4/16/15
I'm a Protestant, and I belong to a Presbyterian Church. I believe in the teachings there, but I don't think of myself as a Presbyterian. I'm just an undominational Protestant.
Christian
15867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 4/16/15

narutosonic330 wrote:

I guess just Christian? Does Calvinist count?


Welsome! I've always been fascinated with Calvinism, but still don't know the basics very well.:)
Christian
11662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/16/15

Professor68 wrote:


narutosonic330 wrote:

I guess just Christian? Does Calvinist count?


Welsome! I've always been fascinated with Calvinism, but still don't know the basics very well.:)


I'm not necessarily a Calvinist lol. But the basic is just TULIP,

Total Depravity : (You realize that you're a pathetic human, and you finally admit you need God)
Unconditional Election : (Because that YOU ARE a human, a creation of God, He loves you and CHOOSES you to be a part of His kingdom)
Limited Atonement : (For those who wanted LIFE, they had to die and be reborn through the atonement of Jesus, those who did not become reborn, didn't receive LIFE)
Irresistible Grace : (Look, you're a human being. God's grace isn't like anything in this world, you are going to want it, no exceptions. That's how good God and His grace is. That's what humans crave, we just didn't know it yet)
Perseverance of the Saints : (Once you're saved, you're saved. It's a done deal. There's no such thing as going back)
Christian
15867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 4/16/15

narutosonic330 wrote:


Professor68 wrote:


narutosonic330 wrote:

I guess just Christian? Does Calvinist count?


Welsome! I've always been fascinated with Calvinism, but still don't know the basics very well.:)


I'm not necessarily a Calvinist lol. But the basic is just TULIP,

Total Depravity : (You realize that you're a pathetic human, and you finally admit you need God)
Unconditional Election : (Because that YOU ARE a human, a creation of God, He loves you and CHOOSES you to be a part of His kingdom)
Limited Atonement : (For those who wanted LIFE, they had to die and be reborn through the atonement of Jesus, those who did not become reborn, didn't receive LIFE)
Irresistible Grace : (Look, you're a human being. God's grace isn't like anything in this world, you are going to want it, no exceptions. That's how good God and His grace is. That's what humans crave, we just didn't know it yet)
Perseverance of the Saints : (Once you're saved, you're saved. It's a done deal. There's no such thing as going back)


Thank you, I think I at least understand the simple concepts now. I'm glad to have learned this!
Christian
11662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 4/17/15


No problem. The thing with Calvinist is that they call TULIP the harsh truth.
Born Again Mod
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 4/17/15

Professor68 wrote:



Thank you, I think I at least understand the simple concepts now. I'm glad to have learned this!

For the record, Professor68 - the Presbyterian Church is Calvinist in it's theology. One of the few international denominations that is.
Christian
15867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 4/17/15

mdmrn wrote:


Professor68 wrote:



Thank you, I think I at least understand the simple concepts now. I'm glad to have learned this!

For the record, Professor68 - the Presbyterian Church is Calvinist in it's theology. One of the few international denominations that is.


Thank you, but I realize my church is more Calvinist than Lutheran. We just follow different practices, so it's not related as far a I know. I studied the differences in Protestantism for History class.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.