First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime Restrictions Based on Faith
Born Again Mod
24866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/17/15 , edited 8/3/15
Is there anything you won't watch based on your faith? Are there shows you just know you can't watch because you know they're just too far removed from what you believe? If so, what are some examples and what made you decide not to watch them.

For me, my first recent example is Super Sonico. The show merely exists for fan service and to drive lust in it's viewers. For me, that's a no-no and, frankly, the plot isn't there enough to make up for the fact that the sole reason for the show is to sexually entice. Plus, the tie-in products I've seen are lewd.

How about you?
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 8/1/15
This is a tough question for me to answer. I personally like to keep an open mind about what I watch and will give just about anything a try( except Hentai that is where I draw the line). I've personally always seen it as "You can have anything in a story if it has reason for being there." For example High School of the Dead is a no no for me as the fanservice adds nothing to the anime at all. It was just thrown in cause. You could remove it and the anime would not change. However something like Kill La Kill didn't bother me as I took it as complete nonsense and never felt like it was using fanservice just cause. Might be a bit of a stretch, but I saw Kill la Kill as rather satirical. So in that sense I was fine with Kill la Kill. Am I making sense?
Born Again Mod
24866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/19/15 , edited 7/30/15

Ctonhunter wrote:

This is a tough question for me to answer. I personally like to keep an open mind about what I watch and will give just about anything a try( except Hentai that is where I draw the line). I've personally always seen it as "You can have anything in a story if it has reason for being there." For example High School of the Dead is a no no for me as the fanservice adds nothing to the anime at all. It was just thrown in cause. You could remove it and the anime would not change. However something like Kill La Kill didn't bother me as I took it as complete nonsense and never felt like it was using fanservice just cause. Might be a bit of a stretch, but I saw Kill la Kill as rather satirical. So in that sense I was fine with Kill la Kill. Am I making sense?

I can understand that. Hentai, to me, is also a no-go straight up. But, where does one draw the line. I watched Me! Me! Me! recently. I wished I hadn't. I knew very little about it and felt uncomfortable watching it. It was a creepy look into a man's subconscious and, frankly, half of it existed merely to titillate. I get that was kind of an artistic choice, but it was one which didn't really enrich me in any way. I could have lived without ever seeing it.

I think what I'm trying to say is - we need to think about what media we're absorbing. If it's going to pull us away from God, I'm going to avoid it. If I don't know one way or the other, trying anime/manga out for the first time - then I'll check it out. But once it's clear to me that an anime is too much, I back out.
Posted 2/19/15

I think this video by the Nostalgia Critic best sums up what I hold to.
http://youtu.be/6OxCSBw2UTs
I saw the movie Birdman yesterday and I'll be honest and say it's definitely not for kids. It had a lot of language and I know some people are not fond of that. To me the language never bothered me as I did not focus on it. I focused on the story and characters. Another example would be that of the movie Gone Girl which like Birdman is fantastic. However Gone Girl is extremely graphic and by no means appropriate for a younger demographic. However I saw more to the movie besides the language and graphic content. To some it may sound like I'm justifying the movies, but I don't think I am. What I am doing is looking at the movie for what it is and not what it contains. Um here located in the spoiler below is a mini rant I did on current Hollywood.
. The art of Film is very important to me. So I really hate seeing it butchered by throwing things in for no reason other than "it's what the audience likes" or being watered down
Born Again Mod
24866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/20/15 , edited 8/9/15

Ctonhunter wrote:
I think this video by the Nostalgia Critic best sums up what I hold to.
http://youtu.be/6OxCSBw2UTs
I saw the movie Birdman yesterday and I'll be honest and say it's definitely not for kids. It had a lot of language and I know some people are not fond of that. To me the language never bothered me as I did not focus on it. I focused on the story and characters. Another example would be that of the movie Gone Girl which like Birdman is fantastic. However Gone Girl is extremely graphic and by no means appropriate for a younger demographic. However I saw more to the movie besides the language and graphic content. To some it may sound like I'm justifying the movies, but I don't think I am. What I am doing is looking at the movie for what it is and not what it contains. Um here located in the spoiler below is a mini rant I did on current Hollywood.
. The art of Film is very important to me. So I really hate seeing it butchered by throwing things in for no reason other than "it's what the audience likes" or being watered down

I get his point and it makes sense. Part of what makes a film or movie problematic is how you respond to it. I kind of have to view anime/films, etc the same way I view gambling and alcohol. Hear me out, I know it sounds weird.

Gambling, alcohol, music, movies, etc can be sinful for the man - if they lead you to sin. If they do not, then inherently they are not sinful. Example: If alcohol leads you to drunkenness where you lose your family's money and cheat on your spouse, then for you - alcohol is sinful and needs to be kept away. For others, it's not. If a film leads you to have the emotions of lust whereby you desire that which doesn't belong to you (i.e. emotional cheating, as Christ described in Matthew 5:27–28). In either case, the object or medium led to the person sinning. Whereas another person would not.

Another issue is how will those around you take it. Will it lead them astray in their walk with Christ? That does need to be taken into account especially if you're a leader in a church. In 1 Corinthians 8, Paul effectively tells you - "Look, food sacrificed to false gods means nothing because the false gods don't exist, so yea - you can eat it." BUT, he doesn't stop there. If you are with persons who would be hurt in their walk with Christ if you were to eat it, don't. If you are with a former member of a cult which offered animal sacrifices, don't eat food sacrificed to false gods in front of them. The same holds true here. If you are with a person struggling with alcohol, don't drink in front of them. Know someone struggling with gambling, don't talk about your recent casino winnings. Know someone struggling with lust from pornography/hentai? Don't invite them to watch a film or anime which depicts a ton of fan service which may lead them to desire porn/hentai.

So, the question comes back to this - does anime lead you to sin? That depends on both the anime and the person. For me, I can't watch hentai or something with excessive fan service. Lustful thoughts will arise which are sinful. But, for others, they may be able to look past the fan service and ignore it while paying attention to the story. I still see hentai as a no go just as regular porn would be...it solely exists to cause people to lust and, therefore, sin.
Posted 2/20/15


You know that actually makes a lot of sense I believe I understand where you are coming from. So if alcohol does not cause you to sin, then it okay. However if it does cause you to sin or causes someone else to sin(if you are drinking in front of them), then it's wrong. Is that how you are phrasing it? I apologize if my response post seems rather rantish..I can get carried away. If it sounded like I was insulted, I wasn't. I just got carried away. Thanks for explaining some more though. If I am understanding you correctly I completely agree.

Born Again Mod
24866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/20/15

Ctonhunter wrote:



You know that actually makes a lot of sense I believe I understand where you are coming from. So if alcohol does not cause you to sin, then it okay. However if it does cause you to sin or causes someone else to sin(if you are drinking in front of them), then it's wrong. Is that how you are phrasing it? I apologize if my response post seems rather rantish..I can get carried away. If it sounded like I was insulted, I wasn't. I just got carried away. Thanks for explaining some more though. If I am understanding you correctly I completely agree.


Yes, that's exactly where I'm coming from. Media generally speaking isn't inherently a sinful thing. Same with food, drink, gambling, etc. That said, how you react to it OR those you are with would react to it matter. If it causes your brother to stumble, don't do it.

No need to apologize. I got your point & no, I didn't think you were insulted.
Christian
14935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 2/22/15
Personally, I refuse to watch shows like South Park, Family Guy, and The Simpsons because of the way they portray Jesus.

I also refuse to watch anything with occult or satanic themes, any series that mocks Jesus, Christianity, or Judaism, or any story with excessive, gratuitous violence.

Fanservice never bothered me, since it's usually shown in the context of comedy (at least in the titles I watch).
Christian
36176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / North
Offline
Posted 2/24/15
Going back to something Clay was talking about earlier (Yes, I'm picking on you ) I'm of the belief that nudity is never necessary in order to push a story along. For example, Rumbling Hearts vs. Looking Up at the Half Moon. Both have moments where a character gets to a point where they are no longer faithful to the person they like, and in Rumbling Hearts they use nudity (in short bursts, but it is there) and in Half Moon, it is nearly the same thing, but is stopped just before getting R rated. For me, both had the same impact. The way I see it, if the story is able to make up for having the nudity then the nudity is excusable. Rumbling Hearts I hold in the same high regard as Half Moon because everything else was so well done and I found myself getting mad at the series (emotional response is a good thing in my book, even if it is anger). But I also watch a lot of 80s and 90s OVA. Those are known for 3 things. All having a similar plot, over-the-top violence, and nudity because why not. I end up rating nearly all of these as bad because they don't give me enough satisfaction to make up for the nudity,(Violence Jack, Call me Tonight, Princess Minerva) and my favorite one (Twilight Q) didn't even have nudity or violence (or a predictable plot for that matter). So, the way I see it is not if the nudity is necessary so much as I can overlook one aspect of a show because of all the other great things in it.
Christian
60519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Bay Area, CA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/25/15 , edited 2/25/15
I wouldn't watch anything that directly attacks Christianity though of those anime I've watched, none have really done so. At worst, I've seen "the church " or some such as an antagonist, and it may have some vaguely Christian or Western dressing, it's more a vague caricature than a really nuanced or well thought out depiction of the Church, or actual body of Christ. (Spice and Wolf comes to mind, which I really like overall.) Anime comes out of a non-Christian cultural milieu, and so I more or less expect as much. Hentai and horror porn or similar are also no go too, for obvious reasons. So-called food porn like this season's Gourmet Girls Graffiti is just fine, though!
Born Again Mod
24866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/26/15

sushipath wrote:

I wouldn't watch anything that directly attacks Christianity though of those anime I've watched, none have really done so. At worst, I've seen "the church " or some such as an antagonist, and it may have some vaguely Christian or Western dressing, it's more a vague caricature than a really nuanced or well thought out depiction of the Church, or actual body of Christ. (Spice and Wolf comes to mind, which I really like overall.) Anime comes out of a non-Christian cultural milieu, and so I more or less expect as much. Hentai and horror porn or similar are also no go too, for obvious reasons. So-called food porn like this season's Gourmet Girls Graffiti is just fine, though!

Blue Exorcist has a very interesting view of the church. I liked the show on the whole, but the creators clearly don't have a very good understanding of Christianity or the Catholic Church in particular based on the way the show, the church, and the secret organization of multi-faith exorcists were presented.

That said, seeing exorcists take out a demon by reciting the Gospel of John is pretty sweet.
Christian
13157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 2/27/15 , edited 3/1/15
I have restrictions on what I watch, but I never dismiss an anime without checking it out on wikipedia or the first few minutes of an anime. Most of the anime I watch are recommended to me by friends on facebook who know my faith and what I will watch. So the genres of anime I dismiss the most is ecchi, yuri, and yaoi. Some anime I will say I won't watch due to my faith is Queen's Blade, Yosuga No Sora, and any hentai lol.
Christian
60519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Bay Area, CA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 3/1/15
Yeah, now that you mention it, Blue Exorcist is an excellent example of what I was talking about. The Christian-like elements are more overt in this anime (I've not read the manga) than most, and yet it's still a ridiculous hodge-podge of a "church"-- more caricature than anything. It struck me as not so much offensive at all-- but more just odd, or even silly. Ironically, this one is perhaps the most "Christian" of an anime as I've ever seen (tongue very much in cheek)-- it actually features God's Word being quoted directly! How many other shows, whether anime or otherwise, that aren't explicitly religious in nature or actually mocking/attacking Christianity, would actually do that nowadays?
Born Again Mod
24866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 3/1/15 , edited 3/1/15

sushipath wrote:

Yeah, now that you mention it, Blue Exorcist is an excellent example of what I was talking about. The Christian-like elements are more overt in this anime (I've not read the manga) than most, and yet it's still a ridiculous hodge-podge of a "church"-- more caricature than anything. It struck me as not so much offensive at all-- but more just odd, or even silly. Ironically, this one is perhaps the most "Christian" of an anime as I've ever seen (tongue very much in cheek)-- it actually features God's Word being quoted directly! How many other shows, whether anime or otherwise, that aren't explicitly religious in nature or actually mocking/attacking Christianity, would actually do that nowadays?

Exactly. The manga brings in more faith traditions than just the Christian tradition as the anime seems to, but it still shows a fascinating misunderstanding of the Christian faith. Like you said, it feels more caricature than anything. I still enjoy it and yes, love seeing scripture actually quoted in an anime!
Christian
11184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/15 , edited 3/1/15
Well in western shows we take many concepts from religions all of the world to create ideas that really don't represent the religions themselves. I don't think it is so much miss understanding Christianity as it is looking at it as a source of cool ideas. Certainly they may not tend to know the actual teaching, however it is likely because they are not looking at it as a belief system but rather a mythology to sorta tinker with.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.