First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Oklahoma votes to ban AP US History
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 2/19/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

lmfaoooo.

AMURICAH!
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 2/19/15

DarksirenxX wrote:

noooooo, wtf. Maybe it just goes too in depth into the shitty things our country has done but don't do so many shitty things if you don't want your children learning about it right?

removing it an replacing it with religious material at that. omfg Oklahoma is f%*&king demented, not everyone is Christian.

I wonder what they were thinking when they did this?


I was really hoping people wouldn't buy into this crap like this. This is not an accurate post in any way. It just helps build a false reputation for America and in this case Oklahoma when people take absolute crap like this at face value. They weren't thinking about anything when they did this because they didn't do this and a quick fact check before you call an entire state with a population demented and blame it on the Christians would let you know that.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/18/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Oklahoma lawmakers approved a bill that would ban the AP course and replace it with students learning about sermons, the Ten Commandments, and Reagan speeches. They claim that the current AP US History course is too "unpatriotic" and "negative". Discuss.


Your post does nothing but promote trendy contempt for an entire state. This is not true, a 2 minute fact check would show it is not true and still you haven't edited your original post to skimmers know this is not an accurate statement. Next time you read a thread and think "what is wrong with people" at least consider that they are like you and substituted bias for research.

4005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 2/18/15

Balzack wrote:

All AP courses should be banned anyway. The only people who take them seriously are high school guidance counselors and high school students.

I've never met someone who actually had credits transfer over for them. And even if they did, you'd be at a disadvantage among the other students since they aren't approved college curriculums- instead they're half-assed by high school teachers who often don't know what they're doing.








I had them transfer, Universiy of Conneticut
11494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / West South Central
Offline
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 2/19/15
Yo. He was being sarcastic about the sermons and Ronald Reagan speeches, but the rest of that shit is 100% correct. A 15 second fact check can confirm it. The bill has already passed a legislative committee with a grand majority. Oklahoma's state government deserves the contempt it gets. It deserves more than that actually. It is cartoonishly evil. The congressmen act like children, and make decisions like children. This being a fact I observed first hand in 2009 when I paged at the senate. So quiet with this nonsense.
1085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 2/19/15
This is ridiculous. Oklahoma strikes again. -_- ..or conservatives.

Regardless, banning a class is taking this a bit far. A class should not be banned, but one can decide to not take it. Curriculum could be slightly changed to improve the course, different methods of teaching history can be altered.. but ridding the class..??? Come on. This is extreme.

And to the individual who stated that AP's should be "banned," then you must have not taken AP's and scored very well. In most colleges, they are honored as long as your scores are high enough. In addition, I think some of them have value. For instance, clearing out general ed classes. Though I do agree with you that certain highschool teachers don't teach pre-req courses very well. For instance, physics and chemistry. Then, college really demonstrates you what physics and chem really means... royally screwing you over in the butt... with no lube. Then, it's like.. I wish teachers really did a better job..

Anyways, I digress.. America is really taking a turn for the worse in regards to education... as if we're not behind enough. :/
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 2/19/15

Got-2-go wrote:

This is ridiculous. Oklahoma strikes again. -_- ..or conservatives.

Regardless, banning a class is taking this a bit far. A class should not be banned, but one can decide to not take it. Curriculum could be slightly changed to improve the course, different methods of teaching history can be altered.. but ridding the class..??? Come on. This is extreme.

And to the individual who stated that AP's should be "banned," then you must have not taken AP's and scored very well. In most colleges, they are honored as long as your scores are high enough. In addition, I think some of them have value. For instance, clearing out general ed classes. Though I do agree with you that certain highschool teachers don't teach pre-req courses very well. For instance, physics and chemistry. Then, college really demonstrates you what physics and chem really means... royally screwing you over in the butt... with no lube. Then, it's like.. I wish teachers really did a better job..

Anyways, I digress.. America is really taking a turn for the worse in regards to education... as if we're not behind enough. :/


The class isn't being banned. They are proposing to cut it for funds and using the lack of "American Exceptionalism" It's mostly a response to the new course framework that went into effect last year but also and clearly due to funding. Oklahoma is one of the lowest states education wise and funding is extremely strained. There isn't any particular coursework suggested and especially nothing about any religious teachings replacing it. One influential supporter of the bill encourages church and state to unify but as far as I can tell that stance hasn't come in to play in this particular bill and definitely not to the degree OP and his biases would have you believe. The issue here is funding and a foot in the door for cutting and redirecting it, simple as that. I agree the cutting the classes is a poor move and having taken the class in question personally I do feel it often times reflects the U.S. in a very negative light, but I definitely don't think that is any reason to cut it and the outcry from the public against that reason only supports the idea that it really isn't the issue but a screen.

1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/18/15 , edited 2/19/15

Punk_Mela wrote:


LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Oklahoma lawmakers approved a bill that would ban the AP course and replace it with students learning about sermons, the Ten Commandments, and Reagan speeches. They claim that the current AP US History course is too "unpatriotic" and "negative". Discuss.


Your post does nothing but promote trendy contempt for an entire state. This is not true, a 2 minute fact check would show it is not true and still you haven't edited your original post to skimmers know this is not an accurate statement. Next time you read a thread and think "what is wrong with people" at least consider that they are like you and substituted bias for research.



Are you serious? Did I just read that? They approved a bill in their House that would most likely pass in the Senate that would cut funding for the course, essentially removing it. It is YOU who need to do a fact check and edit your post.

1085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/15 , edited 2/19/15

Punk_Mela wrote:


Got-2-go wrote:

This is ridiculous. Oklahoma strikes again. -_- ..or conservatives.

Regardless, banning a class is taking this a bit far. A class should not be banned, but one can decide to not take it. Curriculum could be slightly changed to improve the course, different methods of teaching history can be altered.. but ridding the class..??? Come on. This is extreme.

And to the individual who stated that AP's should be "banned," then you must have not taken AP's and scored very well. In most colleges, they are honored as long as your scores are high enough. In addition, I think some of them have value. For instance, clearing out general ed classes. Though I do agree with you that certain highschool teachers don't teach pre-req courses very well. For instance, physics and chemistry. Then, college really demonstrates you what physics and chem really means... royally screwing you over in the butt... with no lube. Then, it's like.. I wish teachers really did a better job..

Anyways, I digress.. America is really taking a turn for the worse in regards to education... as if we're not behind enough. :/


The class isn't being banned. They are proposing to cut it for funds and using the lack of "American Exceptionalism" It's mostly a response to the new course framework that went into effect last year but also and clearly due to funding. Oklahoma is one of the lowest states education wise and funding is extremely strained. There isn't any particular coursework suggested and especially nothing about any religious teachings replacing it. One influential supporter of the bill encourages church and state to unify but as far as I can tell that stance hasn't come in to play in this particular bill and definitely not to the degree OP and his biases would have you believe. The issue here is funding and a foot in the door for cutting and redirecting it, simple as that. I agree the cutting the classes is a poor move and having taken the class in question personally I do feel it often times reflects the U.S. in a very negative light, but I definitely don't think that is any reason to cut it and the outcry from the public against that reason only supports the idea that it really isn't the issue but a screen.



Thank you for clarifying.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/19/15 , edited 2/19/15

benjamin77bunny wrote:

Yo. He was being sarcastic about the sermons and Ronald Reagan speeches, but the rest of that shit is 100% correct. A 15 second fact check can confirm it. The bill has already passed a legislative committee with a grand majority. Oklahoma's state government deserves the contempt it gets. It deserves more than that actually. It is cartoonishly evil. The congressmen act like children, and make decisions like children. This being a fact I observed first hand in 2009 when I paged at the senate. So quiet with this nonsense.


I didn't realize the date to see that it had been approved (seeing how I hadn't checked in the last day or two and it just happened yesterday from what I can tell from responsive articles) but what OP said is still incorrect, while they are using words like "unpatriotic" as a standing it is not the issue and has not been the issue, expensive (and to some degree controversial) course framework went into effect last fall. This is being used to step in and act as a screen issue. The problem is plain and simple funding. Oklahoma is by and far one of the worst states in terms of education and the lack of funding contributes to this. I agree cutting the classes is detestable but unlike OP's bias would have you believe it is not because of any religious affiliation or extreme republican views. The republicans have a different view of how the budget should be handled and while I don't entirely agree, they do bring valid points of discussion. OP is just ignoring this, skimming the surface and bringing in a half assed liberal bias on something he only glanced at. There is nothing "cartoonishly evil" about this, it's politics centering around funding. OP making such out of context statements only encourages people to miss the real issue and ultimately hurts everybody. Because you spent time getting coffee for some asshats six years ago doesn't make you any kind of authority either.

5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/19/15 , edited 2/19/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:


LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Oklahoma lawmakers approved a bill that would ban the AP course and replace it with students learning about sermons, the Ten Commandments, and Reagan speeches. They claim that the current AP US History course is too "unpatriotic" and "negative". Discuss.


Your post does nothing but promote trendy contempt for an entire state. This is not true, a 2 minute fact check would show it is not true and still you haven't edited your original post to skimmers know this is not an accurate statement. Next time you read a thread and think "what is wrong with people" at least consider that they are like you and substituted bias for research.



Are you serious? Did I just read that? They approved a bill in their House that would most likely pass in the Senate that would cut funding for the course, essentially removing it. It is YOU who need to do a fact check and edit your post.



The bill was approved within the last day or so, cut me some slack for not being up to date on that part. But the rest of what you said is still idiotic bias. There is no republican extremist view pushing this bill like you suggest (unless you meant the ten commandment class and Reagon Speeches literally in which case please just get off the internet all together) and while words like "unpatriotic" are being thrown around only an idiot or someone who has done minimum research into the subject would believe this is the real issue. It is plain and simple a funding matter. The republicans pushing the bill have a different view how the budget should be used and they are using the APUSH course work implemented last fall as an excuse to stir up trouble in an area they feel can be cut and reallocated. You are correct about the bill happening and even that it has been approved but your opening statement (much like your statement in your death penalty thread) is dripping with naivety on the subject.
Also:


36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/19/15 , edited 2/19/15

Punk_Mela wrote:



The bill was approved within the last day or so, cut me some slack for not being up to date on that part. But the rest of what you said is still idiotic bias. There is no republican extremist view pushing this bill like you suggest (unless you meant the ten commandment class and Reagon Speeches literally in which case please just get off the internet all together) and while words like "unpatriotic" are being thrown around only an idiot or someone who has done minimum research into the subject would believe this is the real issue. It is plain and simple a funding matter. The republicans pushing the bill have a different view how the budget should be used and they are using the APUSH course work implemented last fall as an excuse to stir up trouble in an area they feel can be cut and reallocated. You are correct about the bill happening and even that it has been approved but your opening statement (much like your statement in your death penalty thread) is dripping with naivety on the subject.
Also:




For living in the "information age" it's a bit dismaying to see how bent out of shape people get when they hear things through the grapevine of social media. It's all buzzwords and sweeping generalisations on what's going on, with no actual research being conducted. This thread mirrors what's been happening on Facebook concerning this issue all day, and it really bums me out that people get so swayed by misleading headlines. We need to learn to be collectively smarter than that.
5482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/15 , edited 2/19/15
Really? Seriously? It's ridiculous, to say the least.

Banning AP US History because it's "unpatriotic"? Exactly how? Because it doesn't cast America in a positive light 100% of the time? It's like some senator banning Hawaiian history in Hawaii schools because that idiot said "Hawaii isn't America". It's unreasonable and idiotic. America has skeletons in her closet and we have to own up to those mistakes and learn from them, not sweep them under the rug and ignore them. It's a propaganda tactic at best.
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/19/15

Punk_Mela wrote:


LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:


LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Oklahoma lawmakers approved a bill that would ban the AP course and replace it with students learning about sermons, the Ten Commandments, and Reagan speeches. They claim that the current AP US History course is too "unpatriotic" and "negative". Discuss.


Your post does nothing but promote trendy contempt for an entire state. This is not true, a 2 minute fact check would show it is not true and still you haven't edited your original post to skimmers know this is not an accurate statement. Next time you read a thread and think "what is wrong with people" at least consider that they are like you and substituted bias for research.



Are you serious? Did I just read that? They approved a bill in their House that would most likely pass in the Senate that would cut funding for the course, essentially removing it. It is YOU who need to do a fact check and edit your post.



The bill was approved within the last day or so, cut me some slack for not being up to date on that part. But the rest of what you said is still idiotic bias. There is no republican extremist view pushing this bill like you suggest (unless you meant the ten commandment class and Reagon Speeches literally in which case please just get off the internet all together) and while words like "unpatriotic" are being thrown around only an idiot or someone who has done minimum research into the subject would believe this is the real issue. It is plain and simple a funding matter. The republicans pushing the bill have a different view how the budget should be used and they are using the APUSH course work implemented last fall as an excuse to stir up trouble in an area they feel can be cut and reallocated. You are correct about the bill happening and even that it has been approved but your opening statement (much like your statement in your death penalty thread) is dripping with naivety on the subject.
Also:




You claim there's no conservative ideology involved and it's purely all about the budget. Let's ask some of the people who helped create and push this bill through Oklahoma's House.

During the debate on this bill, lawmaker Dan Fisher, who AUTHORED the bill said this, "We don't want our tax dollars going to a test that undermines our history." Hmmm, sure sounds like he's saying the course is contains too much negativity.

Larry Krieger, the history teacher who helped Dan Fisher convince the House to pass the bill also stated that the current AP course, " reflected a radically revisionist view of American history that emphasizes negative aspects of our nation’s history while omitting or minimizing positive aspects."

The bill designates 58 documents that will revise the current US History standards across the state. The new proposed curriculum within the bill does include many topics already covered by AP US History but it also requires students to study THREE Reagan speeches and 0 from any Democrats after Lyndon Johnson. Dan Fisher is also apart of of a group called the Black Robe Regiment, which is dedicated to helping "church leaders and laypeople" work against a "hyper-progressive agenda" and "network and educate themselves as to our biblical responsibility to stand up for our Lord and Savior and to protect the freedoms and liberties granted to a moral people in the divinely inspired US Constitution."
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/19/15
UPDATE: Dan Fisher, the Republican lawmaker responsible for the bill to remove the AP US History course, says he will "rework" the bill after a fiery response from the public. Republican House Floor Leader Jason Nelson said the rewritten bill will not call for elimination of AP history, but will merely ask the state Board of Education to conduct a review.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.