First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Opinions on Netflix's anime selection?
The Wise Wizard
99891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 2/21/15

sonic720 wrote:

I only got 720p video for Viz Media anime when I tried Hulu Plus a few months ago. Anything new I tried from FUNimation or Sentai was 480p max. I agree TAN would be a better deal than Hulu Plus for Sentai anime. How's TAN's device support or is it all website only? I get TAN shows on demand via cable provider free, but they are all in SD quality for new shows.

TAN's device support is nearly non-existent. They have an iOS app I've never tried, and apparently have no plans for further device support.

Compared to CR and Funimation, TAN is steadily losing in value per dollar. At one point they were at least following the Funimation model of making dubs available to subscribers shortly before they hit BD/DVD. They've since not only backed off on that, but also appear to not be providing new dubs of series released with dubs in the past several months (i.e., the first Log Horizon series or The Ambition of Oda Nobuna).




phild619 wrote:

I'm watching fullmetal alchemist brotherhood on netflix good thing i got hulu because the last ten episodes are only on hulu while the first 50 something are only on netflix

Thanks for pointing that out. I have another thread that keeps track of new anime titles and expiration on Netflix, and I added a note that only episodes 1-52 of the 64 total are available.

56910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 2/21/15

TheAncientOne wrote:
Compared to CR and Funimation, TAN is steadily losing in value per dollar.


I can verify this. I had a TAN subscription for almost a year, and then Hulu started getting all of the TAN titles, rendering that subscription useless to me. As for anime on Netflix, I agree that it is not one of their specialties, though they do have things that other services do not (e.g. Knights of Sidonia).
55911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 2/22/15

TheAncientOne wrote:
TAN's device support is nearly non-existent. They have an iOS app I've never tried, and apparently have no plans for further device support.

Compared to CR and Funimation, TAN is steadily losing in value per dollar. At one point they were at least following the Funimation model of making dubs available to subscribers shortly before they hit BD/DVD. They've since not only backed off on that, but also appear to not be providing new dubs of series released with dubs in the past several months (i.e., the first Log Horizon series or The Ambition of Oda Nobuna).


Noticed a trailer for TAN on Roku watching a Sentai BD and went to the website listed and found this:

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/roku


Dear fans,

If you’re one of the lucky customers who received a pre-ordered DVD or BluRay from Right Stuf, you’ve probably seen the commercial for our new Roku channel!

However, since you received your discs a few weeks before the street date, you are seeing the commercial early and our Roku channel hasn't launched yet. Stay tuned for our official launch announcement.

We greatly appreciate your patience on this – the wait is almost over!

Love,
The Anime Network Team


Looks like TAN will be coming to Roku soon then.
11801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 2/22/15 , edited 2/22/15
hulu is not available in canada so that does not apply to everyone here.

Netflix is definitely a good place to start people off in anime. Most people have an account or knows someone that has an account. Most have english dubs as well, which helps, as most people find reading subtitles (at least early on) a turn off.

EDIT: *sigh* no more Baka and Test... selection is worthless now..
3488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Guarding your Shack
Offline
Posted 2/22/15
I haven't used netflix to watch anime in a while, but back when I did which was about two years ago, they already had a decent selection. I can only imagine it's gotten better since then.

At least I hope O_o
33730 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 2/22/15

JayMunchy wrote:

I haven't used netflix to watch anime in a while, but back when I did which was about two years ago, they already had a decent selection. I can only imagine it's gotten better since then.

At least I hope O_o


I think it was about two years ago for me, and the selection wasn't that big. After about two years, I signed back up, since I've used my dads, before he canceled it. Looks like some of the anime they have on there, I've seen on Crunchyroll already, but there are some I haven't seen yet. So time permitting, I'll check them out too.
15742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/22/15
Netflix here in america

Girls bravo, Heavens lost property...........need I say more?

OUR CHOICES SUCK.

Except for Attack on Titan. I like that show.
27281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/22/15
The Catalog is pretty bad imo. If a newcomer to anime wants to try out dubs first, just do the free trial on the Funimation app.
15349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Houston, Texas
Offline
Posted 2/23/15
Netflix seems to love removing/dropping/letting the license expire on a ton of anime and other non-anime series, leaving me with no other choice besides Hulu, and I'm not a fan of ads.

I'd love for Netflix to personally license and dub more series like they did with Knights of Sidonia.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.