First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Being an older Black and Loving Anime
Sogno- 
45650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/20/15

Steelmonk wrote:

By the way, my wife is Japanese and we have been married for 25 years and I did work for Sekisui Chemicals...waaay back in prehistory...when dinosaurs roamed the Earth... and anime was black and white...painted on rocks...


whoa cool what was ur fav anime back then
27595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Online
Posted 2/20/15

Sogno- wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:

By the way, my wife is Japanese and we have been married for 25 years and I did work for Sekisui Chemicals...waaay back in prehistory...when dinosaurs roamed the Earth... and anime was black and white...painted on rocks...


whoa cool what was ur fav anime back then


Marine Boy, Kimba the white lion, Speed racer, I also liked Jonny Socko and his flying robot and Ultraman. I liked Marine boy the best by Seven arts television. Check out my stylin Avatar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqSkY4vtVY

3016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/15
People that aren't familiar with anime think it's for kids only. The older you are the more likely they'll assume you're perverted. Add to that minority stereotypes and multiply it by the individual in questions' behavior and you get the uninformed assumption.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/20/15

QuintaroOe wrote:

People that aren't familiar with anime think it's for kids only. The older you are the more likely they'll assume you're perverted. Add to that minority stereotypes and multiply it by the individual in questions' behavior and you get the uninformed assumption.


Psh. Please. That was deliberate.

The guy knows what he's doing and the mixed reactions he would get.
27595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Online
Posted 2/20/15

onibrotonel wrote:


QuintaroOe wrote:

People that aren't familiar with anime think it's for kids only. The older you are the more likely they'll assume you're perverted. Add to that minority stereotypes and multiply it by the individual in questions' behavior and you get the uninformed assumption.


Psh. Please. That was deliberate.

The guy knows what he's doing and the mixed reactions he would get.


Yes my question was deliberate, however you misconstrue my reasons. I'm actually quite pleased when I meet other black engineers, scientists and anime lovers. You have taken my question and taken exception where I meant none. Sorry about angering you, I didn't mean to do that. My apologies.
18972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/15

Steelmonk wrote:

I'm black, and the more I get into anime, the more I meet other blacks my age who also like it. I had no idea that my cousins love it (I wish I had known when we were younger). Do more blacks admit to liking anime (per percentage than Caucasians) in their adult years because we don't care about the negative views and stereotypes associated with anime watching adults? My Caucasian buddy at work says he only talks about anime with me (he's in his mid 50s).


かめはめ波!!!


my black friends i know are always just so upfront and honest about themselves. it's really refreshing. they don't try to hide stuff so they can fit into the societal 'norm' or whatever it's called. not just about anime but they just live their lives. i feel like white people (i'm white) just can't loosen up. i guess they just have more confidence or don't care. it's really awesome though. i'm trying to be like that.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/20/15

LightningChocobo wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:

I'm black, and the more I get into anime, the more I meet other blacks my age who also like it. I had no idea that my cousins love it (I wish I had known when we were younger). Do more blacks admit to liking anime (per percentage than Caucasians) in their adult years because we don't care about the negative views and stereotypes associated with anime watching adults? My Caucasian buddy at work says he only talks about anime with me (he's in his mid 50s).


かめはめ波!!!


my black friends i know are always just so upfront and honest about themselves. it's really refreshing. they don't try to hide stuff so they can fit into the societal 'norm' or whatever it's called. not just about anime but they just live their lives. i feel like white people (i'm white) just can't loosen up. i guess they just have more confidence or don't care. it's really awesome though. i'm trying to be like that.


So, you would feel better if there's a black guy assume that all Asians watch Bleach the anime?

Person A: "Hey, onibrotonel. Do you watch Bleach?"

Person B (inner thought): [Be thankful that I actually watch anime. If I wasn't, so God as my witness I will...]

(Actual response): No. I don't watch Bleach but I know what you're talking about.
18972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/15 , edited 2/20/15

onibrotonel wrote:


LightningChocobo wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:

I'm black, and the more I get into anime, the more I meet other blacks my age who also like it. I had no idea that my cousins love it (I wish I had known when we were younger). Do more blacks admit to liking anime (per percentage than Caucasians) in their adult years because we don't care about the negative views and stereotypes associated with anime watching adults? My Caucasian buddy at work says he only talks about anime with me (he's in his mid 50s).


かめはめ波!!!


my black friends i know are always just so upfront and honest about themselves. it's really refreshing. they don't try to hide stuff so they can fit into the societal 'norm' or whatever it's called. not just about anime but they just live their lives. i feel like white people (i'm white) just can't loosen up. i guess they just have more confidence or don't care. it's really awesome though. i'm trying to be like that.


So, you would feel better if there's a black guy assume that all Asians watch Bleach the anime?

Person A: "Hey, onibrotonel. Do you watch Bleach?"

Person B (inner thought): [Be thankful that I actually watch anime. If I wasn't, so God as my witness I will...]

(Actual response): No. I don't watch Bleach but I know what you're talking about.


huh?

Edit: yeah I don't know how you got a "racial stereotype" vibe from my post. I merely stated my black friends always seem to be more confident in being themselves, whether it be liking anime (which they do) or something else. I would like to be more confident in what I like and not say no if someone asked me if i liked anime (which i don't now). I don't know where you got the "poor me someone's making an asian joke about all asians liking anime"

Also, I'm just trying to say society has become an ugly beast: looking at older adults who love animation and fantasy as being "weirdos" and people chugging beers and having sex as "adults". I'm just saying, I wish society wasn't so demeaning towards people's interests.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/15 , edited 2/20/15
I'm also black and adult and I see no reason to hide that I like anime. I don't think it has anything to do with race, but more about self image. Some people don't want to be judged or seen as a "kid". Me personally, I blast Yowamushi Pedal ost in my car .
Posted 2/20/15
Maaan I'm homeschooled so I don't have any friends that are into anime besides my twin sister whose off to college and my little brother.
My other sister just thinks its plain weird.
I don't really have any friends that I talk to about anime.
At this rate I might become a neet.


I really want a black friend that's into anime right now....
Gah that sounds so awesome really.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 2/20/15 , edited 2/20/15
lol, I am pretty sure that race has nothing to do with admitting which hobbies you have. It also depends on the environment your in; No ones going to start talking about watching anime in high class business meeting, but they might do it if they are just out having a couple beers.

It depends on a person by person basis.

If someone asks me if I watch anime, i say yes, the same answer I would give if they asked me about my hobbies.

Alot of people believe others will judge them based on their admiration of anime so they "hide their power level" as the guys on /a/ would say; However they dont realize that the only people who will judge them are other anime watchers.

405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NC
Offline
Posted 2/20/15

Steelmonk wrote:

I'm black, and the more I get into anime, the more I meet other blacks my age who also like it. I had no idea that my cousins love it (I wish I had known when we were younger). Do more blacks admit to liking anime (per percentage than Caucasians) in their adult years because we don't care about the negative views and stereotypes associated with anime watching adults? My Caucasian buddy at work says he only talks about anime with me (he's in his mid 50s).


かめはめ波!!!


Well, you're lucky. I do have friends who are anime fans. But, they're not black & I'm okay with that. If people think watching anime is weird, then so be it.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/20/15

Steelmonk wrote:


onibrotonel wrote:


QuintaroOe wrote:

People that aren't familiar with anime think it's for kids only. The older you are the more likely they'll assume you're perverted. Add to that minority stereotypes and multiply it by the individual in questions' behavior and you get the uninformed assumption.


Psh. Please. That was deliberate.

The guy knows what he's doing and the mixed reactions he would get.


Yes my question was deliberate, however you misconstrue my reasons. I'm actually quite pleased when I meet other black engineers, scientists and anime lovers. You have taken my question and taken exception where I meant none. Sorry about angering you, I didn't mean to do that. My apologies.

Not angry. I just want to say something different in the thread. I just want to express myself because if I can see there something's wrong then there must be someone else that shares my view too. Maybe not here but there's always somewhere. It's uncommon but it's doesn't mean the original thought is non-existent. I just don't want to say a good lip service "good for you. Awww" when the thread says "I'm old, I'm black, I love anime."

I just don't like the social stigma.
There's this invisible pedestal that whatever blacks get interested with society sees it cool.
But if Asians do the same thing, society would make an assumption, "oh, they are genetically modified / scientifically enhanced / dorks."

What do you think society sees Asians playing football? And, yes. Foot ball is also a sport being participated and played in South Korea.
6315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Hongdae
Offline
Posted 2/20/15
Must be nice to have others in your work place who like anime.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 2/20/15
Captain Harlock needs to spank some youngins'

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.