First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply The most overdone names in anime?
1251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/4/15
Sakura (obvious)
Makoto
Mikoto
Taku
Sasuke
2296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shiganshina District
Offline
Posted 3/4/15

Daichi, Sora and Tatsumi are very common male names.

Ken is also a standard name in anime and elsewhere since it's origin comes from Scotland (Britain) as well as being Japanese (that's weird)

Posted 3/4/15 , edited 3/4/15
Well I've seen the Sasuke name used in many different animes involving ninjas, and also Kenichi.
Posted 3/4/15

bleakdude wrote:

Names that end with senpai, san, or kun, are just way too common. Don't you think?


You know those are honorifics and not actually part of the name right?
8894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Baltimore, Maryland
Offline
Posted 3/4/15
YUUJI.
3555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/4/15 , edited 3/4/15
shiro
4752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / A rock in the mid...
Offline
Posted 3/4/15 , edited 3/4/15

Terrance_Blaze wrote:

Alice - Jesus christ on a pogo stick, what is Japan's infatuation with this name on blonde girls.
Maria - Again, shichtafuk
John
Mina

to name a few.


Alice is so big with blonde girls because of the influence of the animated Disney Alice in Wonderland, and Alice in Wonderland related themes are big in anime/manga

Maria is because of the small amount of Christians in Japan, the largest and oldest denomination is Catholicism, introduced by the Portuguese to Japan in the 16th century. There are many private schools run by Catholics in Japan, and they also appear often in anime too. The Virgin Mary in Portuguese is Maria, thus the name of the Virgin Mary in Japanese is also Maria (マリア)

John is just a common American/Anglophone name, just like it is in English (John Doe), so foreigners get called John.


As for the topic itself, I can't think of any really common names in anime, but I know surnames like Yamada, Tanaka and Watanabe are very common Japanese surnames.

I heard before that many Japanese authors specifically try to avoid using names that are common to avoid causing embarrassment or possibly encouraging bullying of people who share the same names as their characters.
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/15 , edited 3/5/15
Edward Elric.

First it's in Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, then it's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa, then it's in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, than it's in Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos...and it's even in the Fullmetal Alchemist Manga.

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

No one wants to shove Edward Elric from a parrellel universe down FMA 2003's Edward Elrics face. 2003's Edward Elric, already knows FMA:B's Edward Elric got laid by the girl of his dreams. That's bad enough for FMA 2003's Edward Elric.
119633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/5/15

FullmetalGhosts wrote:

Edward Elric.

First it's in Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, then it's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa, then it's in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, than it's in Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos...and it's even in the Fullmetal Alchemist Manga.

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

No one wants to shove Edward Elric from a parrellel universe down FMA 2003's Edward Elrics face. 2003's Edward Elric, already knows FMA:B's Edward Elric got laid by the girl of his dreams. That's bad enough for FMA 2003's Edward Elric.


Ha ha! Good one.
6756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 3/5/15
I feel like I come across "Eri" a lot. Also feel like I come across a lot of male characters name some variation of Kyousuke. Yui, Haruka, and Shizuka are pretty common too.



FullmetalGhosts wrote:

Edward Elric.

First it's in Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, then it's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa, then it's in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, than it's in Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos...and it's even in the Fullmetal Alchemist Manga.

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

No one wants to shove Edward Elric from a parrellel universe down FMA 2003's Edward Elrics face. 2003's Edward Elric, already knows FMA:B's Edward Elric got laid by the girl of his dreams. That's bad enough for FMA 2003's Edward Elric.


I needed that laugh, thank you.

7024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/15

KyotoTofu wrote:


bleakdude wrote:

Names that end with senpai, san, or kun, are just way too common. Don't you think?


You know those are honorifics and not actually part of the name right?


Yeah I know, it was sarcasm. Sorry if it wasn't clear to anyone confused by my joke. Next time I'll put like thirty emoges so everyone gets it .
4036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/5/15
tsubaki
Posted 3/5/15

bleakdude wrote:


KyotoTofu wrote:


bleakdude wrote:

Names that end with senpai, san, or kun, are just way too common. Don't you think?


You know those are honorifics and not actually part of the name right?


Yeah I know, it was sarcasm. Sorry if it wasn't clear to anyone confused by my joke. Next time I'll put like thirty emoges so everyone gets it .


Lol ok wasn't sure if it was or not.
11916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 3/6/15
Overused names for girls:

Hitomi
Sakura
Naomi

for boys:
Hiro
Shiro
Shuzo
14128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 3/6/15
rin seems pretty common, or maybe I am just aware of it since one/ some of my faves characters have the name rin.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.