First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply I don't believe in luck.
24932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/25/15
Stuff happens that you can't control. That's just luck.

Stuff happens that you can control. It's lucky that you can control it.

Not believing in luck is... well... silly! Arrogant, even. Have some humility and give thanks to your lucky stars for the good things in life. Many are forced to live life in a very poor state... with very limited control over it! But some of us live better lives because we're surrounded by people who chose to provide a healthy upbringing and stable society for us without us having any say over it. That's pretty lucky.
3306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/25/15

Kavalion wrote:

Stuff happens that you can't control. That's just luck.

Stuff happens that you can control. It's lucky that you can control it.

Not believing in luck is... well... silly! Arrogant, even. Have some humility and give thanks to your lucky stars for the good things in life. Many are forced to live life in a very poor state... with very limited control over it! But some of us live better lives because we're surrounded by people who chose to provide a healthy upbringing and stable society for us without us having any say over it. That's pretty lucky.


Luck is a superstition I live life based on logic skill and having fun I think for myself I don't let other ppl think for me. But if u wanna believe in luck I have no control over that.
3257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/25/15
I don't believe much in the fortune cookies either.
Don't bet on luck if you gamble.
Posted 2/25/15

Gameenderz wrote:

Now ur talking! U should talk some sense into these guys out of curiosity what would you say to my Asian friend who said I don't have a girlfriend cuz I'm unlucky and that I have bad luck instantly for not believing luck? I just wanna know!



would tell him there are worse things to worry about... like having no food or shelter... 4 millions kids are hungry each day... etc.

if anything, we are the lucky ones...

3306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/25/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:


Gameenderz wrote:

Now ur talking! U should talk some sense into these guys out of curiosity what would you say to my Asian friend who said I don't have a girlfriend cuz I'm unlucky and that I have bad luck instantly for not believing luck? I just wanna know!



would tell him there are worse things to worry about... like having no food or shelter... 4 millions kids are hungry each day... etc.

if anything, we are the lucky ones...



Lol! That's golden! All I said to him was oh that's ridiculous can girls actually look at that? Saying that did me no favors cuz he just kept on going about me being unlucky. But hell! How should I know? Right!
24932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/25/15

Gameenderz wrote:
Luck is a superstition I live life based on logic skill and having fun I think for myself I don't let other ppl think for me.


Surely your logic can deduce that events influence your life which you have no control over. I understand that people bury their heads in the sand rather than admit to their own weakness, but this is going a bit far. I guess it can't be helped.
3306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/25/15
I believe events influence my life like family, the environment, ur school, situations ur job. Wealth poverty all that but luck is a bit of a stretch.
Posted 2/25/15

the_spaceguy wrote:

Luck is just like beating the odds at something...If you come out of a horrible car crash unscathed, then you are lucky because odds are you should have been crushed.

Luck is based on chance and not skill.

As said by the user above^^^
If you win the Powerball, that is luck, not skill.

I think what you are confusing it with is how people say it. It is obviously used as a throwaway word to explain favorable outcomes that sometimes aren't even based on luck. People are superstitious though and if something good happens when they do certain things, then they will start to do a ritual for good luck.


all boils down to probability rather than "luck".

there are many people who have survived a fatal car crash... it has nothing to do with "luck". it's more to do with us as an organisms that have evolved to survive through tough situations.

the body won't give up if the vital organs are not dead yet. having said that, the advanced knowledge in first aid also contribute to higher survival rates.


This is not luck. It's knowledge and billions of years of evolution. People attributing this to luck don't make any sense.
26339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Arcadia,CA
Offline
Posted 2/25/15
uhh.....Ovarian Lottery....
7574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 2/26/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:


the_spaceguy wrote:

Luck is just like beating the odds at something...If you come out of a horrible car crash unscathed, then you are lucky because odds are you should have been crushed.

Luck is based on chance and not skill.

As said by the user above^^^
If you win the Powerball, that is luck, not skill.

I think what you are confusing it with is how people say it. It is obviously used as a throwaway word to explain favorable outcomes that sometimes aren't even based on luck. People are superstitious though and if something good happens when they do certain things, then they will start to do a ritual for good luck.


all boils down to probability rather than "luck".

there are many people who have survived a fatal car crash... it has nothing to do with "luck". it's more to do with us as an organisms that have evolved to survive through tough situations.

the body won't give up if the vital organs are not dead yet. having said that, the advanced knowledge in first aid also contribute to higher survival rates.


This is not luck. It's knowledge and billions of years of evolution. People attributing this to luck don't make any sense.


You're only looking at one factor.

There is luck if the steering wheel just so happened to barely pierce your chest and nearly miss your heart. Yea, what i meant by "beating the odds" is that luck is basically just probability. There are many things that can happen and having the smallest odds work out in your favor is what luck is. You and OP are confused about this the exact same way. It has nothing to do with something that can be helped...such as being helped in a medical facility. Luck IS probability and chance. Also if the steering wheel pierces your heart, evolution isn't going to safe jack shit, so i don't know where that evolution spiel even came from.

Again you are only looking at one factor, and a factor that notably doesn't have anything to do with luck. Its not "lucky" that i didnt choke on my cereal this morning when i laughed...i can do self cpr and force it out. IT IS LUCK if i shoot a gun and the bullet ricochets back at me knocking off my hat...because out of ALL of the trajectories it could have shot out at, it flew back toward my head but barely missed killing me. make sense?
Posted 2/26/15 , edited 2/26/15

the_spaceguy wrote:

You're only looking at one factor.

There is luck if the steering wheel just so happened to barely pierce your chest and nearly miss your heart. Yea, what i meant by "beating the odds" is that luck is basically just probability. There are many things that can happen and having the smallest odds work out in your favor is what luck is. You and OP are confused about this the exact same way. It has nothing to do with something that can be helped...such as being helped in a medical facility. Luck IS probability and chance. Also if the steering wheel pierces your heart, evolution isn't going to safe jack shit, so i don't know where that evolution spiel even came from.

Again you are only looking at one factor, and a factor that notably doesn't have anything to do with luck. Its not "lucky" that i didnt choke on my cereal this morning when i laughed...i can do self cpr and force it out. IT IS LUCK if i shoot a gun and the bullet ricochets back at me knocking off my hat...because out of ALL of the trajectories it could have shot out at, it flew back toward my head but barely missed killing me. make sense?




make sense?


Hmmm, I kind of get what you're saying.

3306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/26/15

STORYING wrote:

I don't believe much in the fortune cookies either.
Don't bet on luck if you gamble.


Me too I stopped reading fortunes when I was either 24 or 23 I had to figure out what they first before I stopped reading them. Then when I learned that someone sued Panda Express of getting a fortune saying,"you will die". Then they had to change and in my head I started thinking. Huh?... Well they can't be fortunes if u have to change just cuz somebody didn't like that fortune. On the other hand that person was too stupid to take it seriously its just a piece of paper for cryin' out loud! I would have raised mine high in their laughing at and yell out ha! Look at this everybody I'M GONNA DIE!
Posted 2/26/15 , edited 2/26/15
Believing in luck isn't much of a big deal. Could be worse.. you could have a chekcing compulsion or other types of OCD, for example. Even those who talk about luck, they do so by considering larger chunkcs of what happens rather than consolidating it into tiny bits... That's impossible of course.
So, when they (your friends) say that it's unlucky that you don have a girlfriend, it isn't (to me) about what they believe but rather just what they could say in a weird way to reassure you, perhaps? In a way, that's an indication your friends aren't really being supportive but because you feel mad about it, maybe it's having a positive effect (if having a gf is what you desire) by your belief that it's within your control. You tell me.
Posted 2/26/15
I think there is such a thing as good and bad fortune, and a bad outcome or a bad fate specifically regarding a proposition or in general. I suppose it depends on how you view chance as a probability or an undetermined destiny of sorts.
22023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 2/26/15
Sometimes I do. But most of the time I usually just say "it just happened." Especially for something that is beyond my control.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.