First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Favorite anime new and casual fans never heard of
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 2/28/15
What is your favorite anime that new and casual fans most likely never heard of?


This is my selection, as someone who's been watching anime for 20+ years, I've only heard of this one recently from word of mouth. It was a very sold show,but is a little hard to find. I know that people who have watched it hold it in high regard and its not exactly hidden under a rock, but i'm surprised its anime adaptation isn't really being marketed.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 2/28/15
The following shows:








34033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 2/28/15
Little Busters!: Refrain
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 3/2/15
I have two.

1) Planetes an older scifi based anime, but very, very good.


2) Dog and Scissors: a newer but hilarious anime that can be found on CR.
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 3/2/15
Casshern Sins was on Toonami. I originally gave Monster a 10, but I downgraded it to an 8 for being long winded. Not that it was unnecessary, but still. I was going to list that show as my post, but you got to it before me lulz.

Baccano is one I think everyone should watch.



If I had to describe Baccano, it would be Extremely chaotic, anachronistic, and mind blowingly great. There's 3 different plot lines going at the same time, and you switch back and forth between the 3 at not quite so random intervals, but it is enough to make anyone new to the franchise nauseous. Everything flows so naturally and by the end everything is resolved. You're more or less being invited to pay witness to one of the most interesting universes in anime at different time intervals, and it works.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 2/28/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Casshern Sins was on Toonami. I originally gave Monster a 10, but I downgraded it to an 8 for being long winded. Not that it was unnecessary, but still. I was going to list that show as my post, but you got to it before me lulz.

Baccano is one I think everyone should watch.



If I had to describe Baccano, it would be Extremely chaotic, anachronistic, and mind blowingly great. There's 3 different plot lines going at the same time, and you switch back and forth between the 3 at not quite so random intervals, but it is enough to make anyone new to the franchise nauseous. Everything flows so naturally and by the end everything is resolved. You're more or less being invited to pay witness to one of the most interesting universes in anime at different time intervals, and it works.





Yeah, but like Samurai 7, Casshern Sins is almost never mentioned.
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 2/28/15

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Casshern Sins was on Toonami. I originally gave Monster a 10, but I downgraded it to an 8 for being long winded. Not that it was unnecessary, but still. I was going to list that show as my post, but you got to it before me lulz.

Baccano is one I think everyone should watch.



If I had to describe Baccano, it would be Extremely chaotic, anachronistic, and mind blowingly great. There's 3 different plot lines going at the same time, and you switch back and forth between the 3 at not quite so random intervals, but it is enough to make anyone new to the franchise nauseous. Everything flows so naturally and by the end everything is resolved. You're more or less being invited to pay witness to one of the most interesting universes in anime at different time intervals, and it works.





Yeah, but like Samurai 7, Casshern Sins is almost never mentioned.


Okay, true.

19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 2/28/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Casshern Sins was on Toonami. I originally gave Monster a 10, but I downgraded it to an 8 for being long winded. Not that it was unnecessary, but still. I was going to list that show as my post, but you got to it before me lulz.

Baccano is one I think everyone should watch.



If I had to describe Baccano, it would be Extremely chaotic, anachronistic, and mind blowingly great. There's 3 different plot lines going at the same time, and you switch back and forth between the 3 at not quite so random intervals, but it is enough to make anyone new to the franchise nauseous. Everything flows so naturally and by the end everything is resolved. You're more or less being invited to pay witness to one of the most interesting universes in anime at different time intervals, and it works.





Yeah, but like Samurai 7, Casshern Sins is almost never mentioned.


Okay, true.






4728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 2/28/15
To OP: even new comers will have heard of monster, "if" they ever went to any forum that people even list anime(like 1 out of every 3 lists/threads mention it).


To Topic: most of my 5 favorite anime definitely wouldn't be known, but I'll post the two that most anime vets don't even know about. Hell they are so unknown in general, that even though they were made in Japan( one of them being Japan release only), they are more known outside of Japan(and even then, not even 1% of the anime fanbase outside of Japan knows of such)

The Legend of Condor Hero

and

Kemono no souja erin

It should be also pointed out, that both are adaptations of very famous novels(which logic would dictate these were destined to become super popular. Lol just goes to show you how use to being hand fed anime, the Japanese are. If It's not advertised like crazy/shoved in their faces, they wont know about it).
10407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Dallas
Offline
Posted 2/28/15
Requiem from the darkness.
14642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / US of A
Offline
Posted 2/28/15
Only because I don't see a lot of people mentioning it, I'll add Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo



Based on the famous book by Alexander Dumas (also wrote the Three Musketeers), this 2005 (ish) adaptation by Gonzo is one of my personal favorites. Do give it a try, the plot is intense, intricate, and well thought out. The entire anime looks just like the picture I posted above me, so watch if you'd like something that looks different.

+ Excellent story, one of the best stories about revenge you can find
+THE COUNT IS ONE OF THE CLASSIEST BADASSES IN EXISTENCE!
+You don't have to read the book to watch this. Though you might be left wanting to read it after watching this.
+Music and atmosphere keeps up with the plot, and holds up the tension well

+/- The art style is certainly gorgeous, but it can be taxing on the eyes. I've seen some people complaining about getting headaches from it. Also, sometimes I really question Gonzo's choice in wallpapers. Albert, WTF are you wearing?
+/- Albert as the protagonist instead of the Count like in the book
+/- This is very faithful to the book, but many plot elements are changed around. For one thing, this anime actually only adapts the second half of the book.
+/- There are A LOT of characters here. It's not as crazy as the book, but you might have to give yourself a couple of episodes to remember everyone and how they're connected to the other characters.
+/- This being based on a novel that takes place in the early 1800s, the futuristic setting with spaceships and planets would be a bit confusing to some. The culture and mannerisms is the same as aristocratic 1800s France, but there's flying cars and such around.
10318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/28/15
Barakamon



Nodame Cantabile

4752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / A rock in the mid...
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 2/28/15
Well since it's something a lot of people who aren't even new or casual fans never heard of, I'll go with the same one I say in the 'underrated anime' threads.

Dennou Coil
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 3/2/15

Zoltor wrote:

To OP: even new comers will have heard of monster, "if" they ever went to any forum that people even list anime(like 1 out of every 3 lists/threads mention it).


To Topic: most of my 5 favorite anime definitely wouldn't be known, but I'll post the two that most anime vets don't even know about. Hell they are so unknown in general, that even though they were made in Japan( one of them being Japan release only), they are more known outside of Japan(and even then, not even 1% of the anime fanbase outside of Japan knows of such)

The Legend of Condor Hero

and

Kemono no souja erin

It should be also pointed out, that both are adaptations of very famous novels(which logic would dictate these were destined to become super popular. Lol just goes to show you how use to being hand fed anime, the Japanese are. If It's not advertised like crazy/shoved in their faces, they wont know about it).



I've been watching anime for 20+ years and have ONLY heard about Monster through word of mouth on forums and youtube. You can't find the complete volume anywhere legal and it isn't being shown on any streaming sights. Many new or casual fans are unlikely to come to forums. One of the reasons I post in CR is because I like to get recommendations from fellow fans. Just find it weird that it was never really marketed, the dubbing is solid as well
4728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/28/15 , edited 2/28/15

kamahl01 wrote:


Zoltor wrote:

To OP: even new comers will have heard of monster, "if" they ever went to any forum that people even list anime(like 1 out of every 3 lists/threads mention it).


To Topic: most of my 5 favorite anime definitely wouldn't be known, but I'll post the two that most anime vets don't even know about. Hell they are so unknown in general, that even though they were made in Japan( one of them being Japan release only), they are more known outside of Japan(and even then, not even 1% of the anime fanbase outside of Japan knows of such)

The Legend of Condor Hero

and

Kemono no souja erin

It should be also pointed out, that both are adaptations of very famous novels(which logic would dictate these were destined to become super popular. Lol just goes to show you how use to being hand fed anime, the Japanese are. If It's not advertised like crazy/shoved in their faces, they wont know about it).



I've been watching anime for 20+ years and have ONLY heard about Monster through word of mouth on forums and youtube. You can't find the complete volume anywhere legal and it isn't being shown on any streaming sights. Many new or casual fans are unlikely to come to forums. One of the reasons I post in CR is because I like to get recommendations from fellow fans. Just find it weird that it was never really marketed, the dubbing is solid as well


I've been watching anime for a long time as well(like 30ish years), and I find that these days after they get bored of the super mainstream stuff/right after they finish a anime their friend showed them, the first thing they do, is find a anime forum(or atleast a general forum, with a TV forum section), and ask for anime recommendations.


It's not hard to spot these new comers.

However yea, not likely to find DvDs of it around or anything, but that's getting into a slightly different issue there, then rather It's known or not.

The new comers to anime that got into anima after a friend showed them a anime, most likely saw either Death Note or Monster. These two seem to be the most common, "my friend showed me anime" these days.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.