First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
racism in hungry jacks
1398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/4/15 , edited 3/4/15

VZ68 wrote:

Sucker punches are for bitches.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will never harm me."


words will never harm you?

so if a child in your care insisted you were a pedophile then that wouldnt hurt you?


reductionist platitudes are reductionist.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 3/4/15

oodain wrote:


VZ68 wrote:

Sucker punches are for bitches.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will never harm me."


words will never harm you?

so if a child in your care insisted you were a pedophile then that wouldnt hurt you?


reductionist platitudes are reductionist.


That would be the court system and the news media wouldn't it?
1398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/4/15
or the people around the child.

point wasn't in the specifics.
an insult said to the face shouldn't do you any harm, words aren't only insults though and they govern our interactions with each other so to say they cant harm you discounts the complexity of communication.

i would even turn it around to some degree, many common injuries heal or can be mended through modern medicine, where some words can quite literally haunt people for the rest of their lives, if not the words themselves then the consequences they bring.

i admit my example was quite the straw man but the underlying point still stands.
17761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 3/4/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't support force unless it is necessary. Do they really have a right to break the law because someone else was being obnoxious?


well thats kinda what happened when the 13 colonies broke the law and became the united states of america.......

lets not forget, the holocaust was legal under german law.

the law is not always right.


Sailor Candy Moderator
200584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 5/28/16
op nuked. Locked.
Posted 3/4/15

nemoskull wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't support force unless it is necessary. Do they really have a right to break the law because someone else was being obnoxious?


well thats kinda what happened when the 13 colonies broke the law and became the united states of america.......

lets not forget, the holocaust was legal under german law.

the law is not always right.




True, but I don't think it is right to beat someone up for their opinion, no matter how asinine, but that's just my opinion.
7111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Arkansas
Offline
Posted 3/4/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


nemoskull wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't support force unless it is necessary. Do they really have a right to break the law because someone else was being obnoxious?


well thats kinda what happened when the 13 colonies broke the law and became the united states of america.......

lets not forget, the holocaust was legal under german law.

the law is not always right.




True, but I don't think it is right to beat someone up for their opinion, no matter how asinine, but that's just my opinion.


You are correct, everybody has been through different things and if you haven't been in their shoes you have no right to judge them.

Also, law may not be correct, but you should follow it because the country that is protecting you and your children get to make the rules.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.