First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What would be your SaO Character?
TMFool 
21031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Behind you...
Offline
Posted 3/4/15

Genbu89 wrote:


TMFool wrote:


Am I the only one who would use a polearm on my character?


Probably, in games they are not very common. Go play The Elder Scrolls 3: Morowind and there are polearms galore. But as soon as Oblivion came out the weapon list dropped the polearms. From a real world stand point the polearm was instrumental to many victories because it disallows the enemy to get close enough to attack you. However when you consider weapons for a game they are not Iconic enough for people to think about them. I doubt anyone will ever think of the ji(chinese halberd) for use in a game, even though it's design makes it one of the most useful polearms ever created.


Personally I wouldn't go with a polearm not because it isn't iconic, but because it becomes difficult to use in CQC. Polearms are best employed as part of a defensive formation or used on horseback, and while it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility neither tactical formations nor cavalry were shown in SAO.

Using a polearm in single combat requires incredible finesse, as one needs to manage their range effectively. Failure to do so makes the weapon more or less difficult to use (if not useless) depending on the design and weight.


I will assume that you have some martial training in your statements so far and are thinking tactically. I will also disregard what you say as far as single combat goes because a spear is the simplest and easiest weapon to use against any opponent because of its reach advantage. CQC requires you to carry a siedarm such as daggers, a short sword, or a battle axe. Polearms are used AGAINST cavalry, cavalry carries a spear and then loses it and switches to a sword, axe, flail, or any one handed weapon. Poor infantrymen are issued spears because they are cheap and simple to manufacture, as well as easy to train soldiers in, ie parry your enemies weapon across their body and then thrust to kill.

If i were to be light infantry I would want the ji, which is a combination of the ge and the spear. The ge is a hooked weapon that is meant to cut the back of an enemies neck, disarm them, or cut an enemies limb. The ji combines these properties as well as the spear head to allow for thrusting at an opponent.

Since we're talking about SAO however, and thus video games in general, polearms don't get a lot of use because most people just playing around know what a sword or an axe is. It goes in this direction to hurt my enemy and deal enough dmg to drop their HP to 0. If I can add status effects by attacking a limb, ie Kirito lost his hand and incurred a status effect disallowing him from using that appendage, the ji, as I mentioned, is perfect for this. In duels it would be best to keep an opponent at bay and deal damage accordingly. When being attacked by a group of red players however you want to close up ranks and prevent flanking.
TMFool 
21031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Behind you...
Offline
Posted 3/4/15

longdanzi103 wrote:


xxJing wrote:

Class : Loli
Weapon : Knife
Colors : Whatever is cute and huggable

Assuming this doesn't force me to look like myself. I would just completely act all cute and huggable, and get myself into dangerous situations just waiting for some protagonist wannabe to save me, and then when he gets in close *shank* right in the jugular, grab his stuff, and run the hell away.

One moment I'll be


Then when you least expect it.


damn it, ok guys this form post is over. this guy clearly won. better luck next time guys


So she has an RP going on, as mercenary I just got a bounty to kill the Kawaii Killer. There's now one less red player and my account just went up 20k kor.
An9el 
28889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Online
Posted 3/4/15
id one of these 2

ranged support/healer

staff or wand+Offhand
light armor
hair color purple
job class: armor/weapon shop owner

2nd class melee dmg

weapon : sword+dagger duel weild if able)
medium/light armor
hair purple
job class weapon/armor shop owner

( in fantasy games im either a priest,warrior or paladin)

255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/4/15
Gonna be a black, muscular support or a tank with a pink afro and epic eyebrows all while being kawaii and FUCKING MANLY.

No weapons or armor, don't need one when you're a muscular black man.
16438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 3/4/15

An9el wrote:

id one of these 2

ranged support/healer

staff or wand+Offhand
light armor
hair color purple
job class: armor/weapon shop owner

2nd class melee dmg

weapon : sword+dagger duel weild if able)
medium/light armor
hair purple
job class weapon/armor shop owner

( in fantasy games im either a priest,warrior or paladin)



SaO has no magic though c:
36673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NYC
Offline
Posted 3/4/15
considering i've always played rogue/assassin type characters...

-Class: Rogue/Assassin (melee dps, but an avoidance off tanking would be dope)
-Weapon of Choice: dual wield daggers (karambit in main hand, and a tantō in offhand (for blocking/follow throughs)
-Hair Color: shaved sides with medium length hair at the top. Midnight blue color (looks black without lighting).
-Armor Color: primarily black with some midnight blue to give it some color. silver detailing if its higher level armor with more detail.
-Armor type: light armor. in games like wow, rogues use leather, but that is just not a viable option for an assassin type character. leather is noisy, can restrict movement, and is all around a pain to maintain. gonna have to go with some thicker cloth on this one.

Play style wise, I wouldn't necessarily rely on stealth or shadows. For any WoW fiends like myself, it'd be closer to a combat rogue style. Use stealth/shadows to engage and disengage, but be up close to the action. I would spec for high dex to very mobile and to increase avoidance. Would be more of a reactionary fighter. Avoid and learn enemy weak spots, and strike quickly with the karambit and block/parry/knock off balance with tantō. I would try to be methodical with my main hand strikes to wear down enemy mobility and restrict movement (ex: cutting behind the knee, repeated slicing forearm so holding weapon is difficult, etc) until I have a clear opening for a kill shot. Play it safe instead of going all in and risking over extending and creating opportunities for the enemy.
An9el 
28889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Online
Posted 3/5/15

tf2pyros wrote:


An9el wrote:

id one of these 2

ranged support/healer

staff or wand+Offhand
light armor
hair color purple
job class: armor/weapon shop owner

2nd class melee dmg

weapon : sword+dagger duel weild if able)
medium/light armor
hair purple
job class weapon/armor shop owner

( in fantasy games im either a priest,warrior or paladin)



SaO has no magic though c:


take that stick out your but its a what if situation it doesnt matter
27327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 3/10/15
I've always said that I wished SAO would actually happen in real life! It's just so amazing!

Well, since SAO is mostly physical and no magic, I would prefer to be a character who would be focused on speed like Asuna. I think I would be a horrible support as a tank. I haven't really thought most of it through, but I'd like to have golden hair with a black and white outfit
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 3/10/15
I would be a Meele/Support. Crimson-red hair. My weapon would probably be some kind of sword-type boomerang.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.