First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply NYC schools to close for Muslim holidays in 2015
37307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/7/15 , edited 11/9/15
If it was any other city that started this I'd be thinking about the merits or demerits of the equality question. I'd say, but this country was founded on Christian principles. I'd say, it's impractical, because now EVERYBODY will want their religion to be observed.

But this is New York City. All I can think is "Score another point for Al Qaeda...."
10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 3/7/15
i don't see anything wrong here. and lol at people and their the slippery slope argument that it's a "bad" idea.
7691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Basketball Court
Offline
Posted 3/7/15
This is amazing!
Posted 3/7/15

jeffcoatstephen wrote:

How about we just get rid of the whole religion holiday thing. We don't need off for some damn religion. We need off for our workers, veterans, and such. Religion is so stupid. Oh I need off Christmas because of Jesus's birth. Screw you...


Sorry but this is by far is a very immature answer and reason as to why it's not a good idea
24253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/7/15
The more days off the better, I say.
23206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 3/7/15
I guess you either be fair to everyone or don't have off on any religious holidays. Personally I'd rather the latter, there's more than just the Abrahamic religions in the world, what's the criteria for accepting one of these holidays?
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 3/7/15
You all would have strokes if you saw what we used to do around Christmas time at schools.

10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 3/7/15

ChinaCat89 wrote:
I guess you either be fair to everyone or don't have off on any religious holidays. Personally I'd rather the latter, there's more than just the Abrahamic religions in the world, what's the criteria for accepting one of these holidays?


the number of students of a particular religion is probably a factor in deciding which holiday to include.
obviously, if there's only 1 or 2 student of religion X, there's little reason to add a holiday for said religion
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/7/15 , edited 3/7/15

DeadlyOats wrote:

If it was any other city that started this I'd be thinking about the merits or demerits of the equality question. I'd say, but this country was founded on Christian principles. I'd say, it's impractical, because now EVERYBODY will want their religion to be observed.

But this is New York City. All I can think is "Score another point for Al Qaeda...."


What does Muslim kids getting a day off to celebrate their holiday have to do with Al Qaeda?Also,NYC is just about one of the most diverse cities in the United States. The fear mongering has never consumed this city.
Posted 3/7/15
I'm certainly not against Russian stripers.
23206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 3/7/15

namealreadytaken wrote:


ChinaCat89 wrote:
I guess you either be fair to everyone or don't have off on any religious holidays. Personally I'd rather the latter, there's more than just the Abrahamic religions in the world, what's the criteria for accepting one of these holidays?


the number of students of a particular religion is probably a factor in deciding which holiday to include.
obviously, if there's only 1 or 2 student of religion X, there's little reason to add a holiday for said religion



That makes sense, I guess for anyone else they could always just stay home on the days they need. In my senior year at college they had just allowed the school to have off on the holidays mentioned in the original post. However it required some support form the non Muslim faculty too as the Muslim faculty seemed hesitant to appear too demanding on the issue, according to some of the professors.
4957 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Kanada
Offline
Posted 3/7/15
Honestly, I do not see why people are even arguing over this. "Oh, we're missing an extra day because of this foreign holiday. Whatever.."
72322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 3/7/15
This is a non issue. As for the state of the school system as a whole it needs to be changed but not to the Japanese model which as introduced to them by an American. I find I prefer Finland's school system to be more preferable. We already work too much and make too little in this country. Going to school for longer won't help just like working longer hours don't help the problem.
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/7/15
The thing is, I don't think we technically close the schools for any religious holidays as it is.

Christmas coincides with Winter Break and New Years.

Easter is always on a Sunday and we do not get any extra days off for that.

The only holidays that schools are closed for are National Holidays : Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, Winter Break, New Years, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a week for George Washington's and Abraham Lincoln's birthdays. Spring Break, Memorial Day, and that is pretty much it.

I have nothing against Muslims, but this will actually be creating a religious holiday endorsed by the state.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/7/15 , edited 3/7/15
I'm more upset about more days off than anything else. Will they at least get rid of some of the miscellaneous holidays, like columbus day, presidents day, MLK day, veterans' day, and hell, maybe even memorial day?

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.