First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do many reasonable people doubt science?
16044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 3/5/15
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/achenbach-text
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 3/5/15
Reasonable people will doubt findings based upon the knowledge they have available to them. Knowledge fuels logic and when we start delving into more complicated subjects many will not have the prerequisite knowledge to understand them. Also you have to keep in mind that frequently these findings are reported through the media which always leave out key details in their extremely brief coverage.

(Also be fair there is some truth yet a misunderstanding to the whole “airborne Ebola” case mentioned on the linked page. It is still direct contact with body fluids but those fluids were suspended in the air after being expelled as a projectile spray. Sneezing and vomiting can both do it. This method of transmission isn't unlike transmission of Noroviruses.)
16044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 3/5/15
i can appreciate your point... many people...myself included in various instances..have a problem with extrapolating from what they know..which can be a very important aspect of formulating a well informed viewpoint especially if your base knowledge in a particular domain is limited.

Media is a double-edged sword in all aspects. Massive dissemination of information to lots and lots of people is good; massive dissemination of half-truths and in many cases heavily biased information is deadly...(not to be dramatic...literally in certain cases). From this point, its safe to assume that maintaining a level of suspicion in all you hear and being able to extrapolate out from the facts you know to be heavily supported by the scientific process, is a really, really, REALLY helpful tool.

I especially took interest in the section pertaining to suppressing our native beliefs. That's a topic that strikes home of many people; from the Ivory tower materials scientist or theoretical physicist ... to the poly sci undergrad.
Posted 3/5/15
That's why you have unreasonable people
27824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 3/5/15
Because they believe religion proves/solves everything. Science was created to fill in the holes religion has... the many holes I might say.
Posted 3/5/15
Isn't skepticism healthy to a certain extent? Wakefield's studies on autism and the MMR vaccine was published in a science journal, and look how false that turned out to be.
16044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 3/5/15
I think the most wonderful aspect of science (aka scientific PROCESS and peer review that is legitimate) is that it IS modifiable. It's a construct that can be added to with supplemental findings OR deconstructed if new evidence arises that suggests other possibilities AND it calls for collaboration. Science isn't this static, ethereal entity...we use logic and process of trial / error every single day in our personal lives...whether you or I realize it or not.

The beauty is...that scientific "truths" (I use truth as a blanket word) have the potential to BE fallible BECAUSE the process of research should be reproducible.
16044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 3/5/15 , edited 3/5/15
and to add...healthy skepticism should be used even in peer reviewed journals. attention to the methods and statistical analyses chosen and utilized in studies is probably the most important aspect of research. if a study has poor 'power' due to low sampling size, or a confidence interval that isn't congruent with findings...then you should probably take a step back and say, " hmmm does this make sense.." even if the authors conclusions align with your personal biases. It's a very hard thing to do. I have a hard time doing it. It's something i also forget to do sometimes due to my own confirmation bias. ..but we should try as people who claim to love logic...to always take a step back, look at the construction of the experiment and say..."the hell?? does this make sense?"

additional point....the realm of statistics is exceeding confusing at times...and downright impossible to understand for people who have zilch education or training in what even basic parameters suggest. that's the reason many studies,,, especially in mass media get spun in the wrong light...and taken the wrong way by much of the population... because frankly, unless you are extremely intimate with statistics yourself it's hard to be a one man island and be completley reassured about any one particular study.
72836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 3/5/15 , edited 3/19/15
...One Word.

.

Not trying to be Offensive...Just My 2 cents about the Issue...
27240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 3/5/15 , edited 3/5/15
Healthy skepticism is fine. Calling everything a conspiracy and refusing to even consider the evidence is not fine.

Posted 3/5/15 , edited 3/12/15

x-Cellar_Door-x wrote:

...One Word.

.

Not trying to be Offensive...Just My 2 cents about the Issue...


Even science is a religion to some people, pursued sometimes with equal amounts of fanaticism. There is no such thing as objectivity with human beings, even in physical science, everything depends on the storyteller's bias. If objectivity does not exist, what does that say about science, hmm? What we regard as fact are the theories taught by our teachers, and are those he or she chose to taught us, or those known to him or her. Nothing is free of bias and without a measure of subjectivity.
72836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 3/5/15

moonlightserenity wrote:


x-Cellar_Door-x wrote:

...One Word.

.

Not trying to be Offensive...Just My 2 cents about the Issue...


Even science is a religion to some people, pursued sometimes with equal amounts of fanaticism. Nothing is free of bias and without a measure of subjectivity.


Couldn't have said it better Myself!
50 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/15 , edited 3/12/15

jeffcoatstephen wrote:

Because they believe religion proves/solves everything. Science was created to fill in the holes religion has... the many holes I might say.


are you serious? what holes are you referring to?

People doubt science because it *doesn't* provide answers. Science provides theories. What are theories? Theories are a collection of observations. Observations can only be observed with the senses we have available to us. We can't prove our senses are telling us the truth, so we can't actually claim any observations we make are factual.

Thus we have religion/spirituality, which provides a foundation on which factual claims can be made provided of course that we accept some prerequisites on faith.

And if that's too hard to follow: Science doesn't provide facts, religion does. If people want to be able to accept the world is real and a certain standard of moral rules holds significance then religion and/or spirituality is 100% necessary
31061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 3/5/15

Tethealla wrote:

are you serious? what holes are you referring to?

People doubt science because it *doesn't* provide answers. Science provides theories. What are theories? Theories are a collection of observations. Observations can only be observed with the senses we have available to us. We can't prove our senses are telling us the truth, so we can't actually claim any observations we make are factual.

Thus we have religion/spirituality, which provides a foundation on which factual claims can be made provided of course that we accept some prerequisites on faith.

And if that's too hard to follow: Science doesn't provide facts, religion does. If people want to be able to accept the world is real and a certain standard of moral rules holds significance then religion and/or spirituality is 100% necessary


Religion provides fact? Really? So then out of the thousands of religions that have existed with conflicting doctrines how do you tell which one is the right one? And which one is the "standard" of morality?
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/15
Another science vs religion flamewar...........
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.