First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Examples Of Sexism In Anime? Should Sexism Bother You? What Makes Certain Kinds of Sexism Okay?
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 3/8/15

xxJing wrote:

I actually think this is a non-issue. For the simple reason that everything is pretty equal opportunity in anime.

In fact the anime/manga that probably do the most damage to feminist ideals aren't those like shonen and seinen written by primarily men and for men. It's shojo and josei ones written primarily by women.

Shojo shows tend to have either prince charming type characters who are perfect in every way or abusive rapists as male characters, and an inadequate weak female as a female protagonist.

Shonen/Seinen shows on the other hand tend to have smart and capable female characters and male characters who are attractive but have a lot of growing to do. The one thing that may be sexist about them is that the women are scantly clad, however the men are usually just as equally scantly clad. There are just as many six packs as there are D-cups.

If you want an example, take Infinite Stratos. It's a harem anime, all the girls are in love with the main character. However, each of the girls are actually stronger and more capable when it comes to battle or learning than the main character is. On the other hand, the main character is probably the best cook and house keeper out of all of them. Also the reason they all love him is because aside from being handsome, he is a really nice and supportive guy. I hardly think this is sexist. And even if it is, reverse harems tend to treat their female protagonists with less respect than harems treat their female harem cast.



This sounds surprisingly true.
18086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 1/25/16
Sexism everywhere in every day life bothers me, so it definitely bothers me in anime as well. Some anime do an awesome job at avoiding the bad stereotypes and objectifying and whatnot (and I love those ones for that reason alone), but...Yeah. Definitely a lot of sexism and double standards going on in anime in general. A lot of female characters don't get a lot other than a nice ass and chest. Most leads or characters with originality and depth are male I find. Rare to see a female character that is relatable, one that grows as a person and has feelings (other than their illogical "love" for the boring lead guy). And it goes the other way around too (though perhaps not as much) where male characters don't get likeable specific traits that female characters often do (rare to see dude tsundere and such I suppose).
29022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Realm of Darkness
Offline
Posted 3/8/15
Quite a lot of anime has sexism issues, but in quite different ways.
In Cross Ange there are three notable male chracters. Two of those are scumbags.
In Akame ga Kill Esdeath is a walking double standard. It's okay to be a psycho who's hobby is torturing people to death if you're a hot woman.
In Infinite Stratos the MC is everyone's punching bag.. for about 11 episodes per season after that for whatever reason it's always him who kills the last boss. How he does it is a mystery for me.
In harem anime it's always the female characters who make a move or force physical contact usually against the male's will. It would be called sexual assault if the roles were reversed.
In Happiness Charge and HeartCatch Precure the female villain in both cases became a kindergarten teacher. That's not necessary sexist, but the thing is that in Happiness Charge the female villain's character was more fitting to be a chef or a patissier. In that situation the question comes up whether it was too sexist for a female character to do a job related to making food.
Le_Dom 
16890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 3/8/15
I don't think fanservice isn't sexist in of itself. It becomes sexist if the characters you write only exist as eyecandy for the viewer. Give them an actual personality and an actual role in the story and then it's fine.

There's also a post I find worth sharing here about what would make an anime progressive/feminist by the standards of Japan.
6375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 3/8/15

xxJing wrote:


The problem is the idea that 'smart and capable' females should be taken down a notch or shown up at all. I actually see the SnK/AoT setup as how it should be, as there's no weakening other characters to make Eren stand out. The other problem is people thinking that the male lead needs to be some walking bada$$, when that's not the case.

I disagree with the idea that females (or really any characters) should be diminished to raise up another character. Levi (keeping with AoT example) is bada$$ because he shows his skills off and earned the spot, not because other characters were diminished to boost him there.

The problem, beyond the initial concept of sacrificing a character to boost another, is the go-to in most of those cases is the females which usually are in the secondary roles. If you want a character to shine then give them moments to show their skills off, instead of weakening other characters.
27824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 3/8/15
Females with extremely big breasts and a perfect phyzic, dumb klutzy females, weak females.

Sexism doesn't bother me at all. To me it's like who cares what others think about my gender. I know more about my gender than they do so they can just go to hell for all I care.
Posted 3/8/15

jeffcoatstephen wrote:

Females with extremely big breasts and a perfect phyzic, dumb klutzy females, weak females.

Sexism doesn't bother me at all. To me it's like who cares what others think about my gender. I know more about my gender than they do so they can just go to hell for all I care.


Why are big breasts sexist? Wouldn't the opposite be untrue as well? You see, the problem is that we're assuming that they're saying that all women are weak, or all women have large breasts. But it is also partially true. Some women are weak and some women do have large breasts. Nearly everything could be a stereotype. Saying it is sexist is jumping the gun, isn't it? Isn't there a difference between anime like Eiken, where even the lolis have big breasts, to more normalized works in the anime medium?


jcdf32 
13089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Western Europe
Offline
Posted 3/8/15
Should Sexism Bother You?

No. It is one of the reasons why I watch anime.
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 3/8/15
Anime girls, they're objects, remember? *smirk*
70024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 1/25/16

Le_Dom wrote:

There's also a post I find worth sharing here about what would make an anime progressive/feminist by the standards of Japan.

This is a really good reminder about cultural relativism, although I wonder how far it carries.
56908 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 3/8/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
This sounds surprisingly true.


Seconding what Jing said above, as well as agreeing that AOT is a positive example.
mnmike 
19129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 1/25/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Why are big breasts sexist? Wouldn't the opposite be untrue as well? You see, the problem is that we're assuming that they're saying that all women are weak, or all women have large breasts. But it is also partially true. Some women are weak and some women do have large breasts. Nearly everything could be a stereotype. Saying it is sexist is jumping the gun, isn't it? Isn't there a difference between anime like Eiken, where even the lolis have big breasts, to more normalized works in the anime medium?



There is a problem with promoting unhealthy ideals, which can essentially promote self-esteem issues, anorexia, and dangerous/unnecessary cosmetic surgeries among women, and among men can promote the idea that it's okay to elevate looks over intelligence and personality when finding a mate. Much of anime does a good job of showing cute girls with different body types--but there are certainly shows that fall into the "bigger is always better" camp. Which is another way of saying that Hollywood is way worse than anime, but you can see hints of the same trends.
49355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 3/8/15
Problem in this thread is that you are viewing anime with a western mindset. Sexism doesn't exist in Japan. And by that I don't mean it's not there, but that women over there don't think of it as sexism as a whole. That also doesn't mean that somethings in anime aren't sexist, just that it's a different culture.
11916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 3/8/15
I think we’re all making a huge mistake if we look to anime for role models on how the genders ought to interact. Anime ranks as a somewhat lower form of entertainment; and I don’t think it should be expected to adhere to various American fans’ social attitudes. The judgment of what is sexist or not varies from person to person even in the US, and what is sexist in America is quite different in Japan. That should be first in everyone’s mind; we are judging Japanese entertainment by our own personal standards within an American cultural context. By all means, American fans are welcome to express their disapproval- the most effective way to do so is by avoiding the medium altogether; or avoiding those genres within anime found to be offensive. It should not be- to judge others who still want to watch those shows, nor to soapbox about sexism.
8830 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/8/15 , edited 3/9/15
Deleted by me
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.