First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Examples Of Sexism In Anime? Should Sexism Bother You? What Makes Certain Kinds of Sexism Okay?
24961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/9/15


Dude, you can't let someone in the internet whether a troll or real person injure you this badly. Like I said before, if I were on your shoes I'd confront but not take it to the heart like you seem to be doing. In that regards, you do seem super offended even though what I said isn't something that it'd be surprising to hear in a university/college campus. Nonetheless, I apologize!

As for the second TL;DR (The one I wrote) when I say I noticed you're 18 I wasn't necessarily insulting you as saying that you have a lot of hormones going through plus you haven't really realize your adult thinking process that is why I spell out the thought process I did (notice that I'm saying that I gave you a detail outlook into my reasoning process with examples and facts) so that you could see where I'm coming from and notice that I'm treating you as an equal. Further, I don't know how much work experience you have but they're a lot of nasty people that will call you more than just "stupid/idiot" at the workplace (these tend to be low-paying jobs but also happen at the high end) and are able to get away with it even when you get HR involve (I saw something like these in my previous jobs). So again, you need to learn to dismissed and adapt fast otherwise you're going to hate working in shit jobs until you can realize your self (BS degree/win lotto/whatever). As for the pain part...dude I'd never compare myself to a kid in Afghanistan, Iraq, Venezuela, Africa, etc. There are levels of pain and trust me to you (as well as to me) it might appear that the world is coming to an end when something hurtful happens but this is nothing compare to what other people can and usually do experience during their lives (living in the US or other develop economies is a blessing if you don't believe me what the news or visit those places).

Also, my professor for the last time isn't an ass. The context of him calling someone an idiot was left off so that you could see that even it he was a really bad person you could still learn from him (like what to do and not do). This isn't out of the norm in college class when people ask really "stupid/idiotic" questions. Yes, some people do refrain but what I liked about the professor was that he was upfront. He called me an idiot once with a smile on his face because I noticed that he was talking to me as an equal (not in the student-professor way) and I liked that because it showed that the professor really cared about your development (like I said before he taught us about many more things than just engineering and I'm grateful because no other professor has done the same). It seems to me that you're an idealist, the problem with idealist is that they think that things need to happen the "ideal" way unfortunately the world is full of variables and that's why I'm a realist. An engineer needs to be a pragmatic otherwise he/she would hate engineering lol.

Finally, I see your intake on inbreeding I agree that the government shouldn't involve itself in my bedroom. Now, about people passing on AID/HIV my friend I don't care how liberal/conservative you are. If you knew that someone was doing that and not telling potential partners of the risk they're getting themselves in then that's the equivalent of you helping to spread an incredible horrible virus that is killing people. Then again, it's the fault of the receiver for getting into bed with an individual without knowing their natural state (I know this is hard but it's possible). Also, I told you (with scientific facts) why inbreeding/incest is just not natural from the human/species level. However, we aren't talking about that. We're talking about High School DxD, Sexism, is the anime industry sexist and so forth.
24961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/9/15

mnmike wrote:

See for me, the two most sexist shows I've seen are Shuffle and Freezing.

Freezing doesn't have particularly more fan service than High School DxD, Sekerie, or Rosario x Vampire. The difference is that it tries to titillate the viewer with violence against women. There is an (attempted) rape scene at the beginning of the series, in which the camera focuses on the victim's breasts, clearly trying to eek as much fan service out of the scene as possible, all while the girl's shouts of "no stop" sound a lot more like panting than screaming. And, of course, despite the fact that it happens in front of witnesses, no one really gets in trouble for it--cause, you know, it's not like rape is a crime or anything... oh, wait, it is!. Moreover in basically every fight, not only do clothes get ripped to shreds, but the half-naked women then get dismembered--and the camera STILL can't take itself off of their chests.


Dudeeeee!!! Why did you have to remind me about that fucking 1st limiter and bloody stepbrother trying to rape my baby/goddess/queen Satellizer el Bridget! Why oohh why??? That shit had my blood boiling because I just couldn't believe that they could just get away with it!

Same type of shit happened in SAO and SAO2! I agree that it's disgusting and not entertaining at all. I don't know what type of psycho gets off on that. I just wish one day the girls in that position could beat the shit of that scumbag and then put them in jail!
Posted 3/9/15

Lindwurm wrote:



Dude, you can't let someone in the internet whether a troll or real person injure you this badly. Like I said before, if I were on your shoes I'd confront but not take it to the heart like you seem to be doing. In that regards, you do seem super offended even though what I said isn't something that it'd be surprising to hear in a university/college campus. Nonetheless, I apologize!

As for the second TL;DR (The one I wrote) when I say I noticed you're 18 I wasn't necessarily insulting you as saying that you have a lot of hormones going through plus you haven't really realize your adult thinking process that is why I spell out the thought process I did (notice that I'm saying that I gave you a detail outlook into my reasoning process with examples and facts) so that you could see where I'm coming from and notice that I'm treating you as an equal. Further, I don't know how much work experience you have but they're a lot of nasty people that will call you more than just "stupid/idiot" at the workplace (these tend to be low-paying jobs but also happen at the high end) and are able to get away with it even when you get HR involve (I saw something like these in my previous jobs). So again, you need to learn to dismissed and adapt fast otherwise you're going to hate working in shit jobs until you can realize your self (BS degree/win lotto/whatever). As for the pain part...dude I'd never compare myself to a kid in Afghanistan, Iraq, Venezuela, Africa, etc. There are levels of pain and trust me to you (as well as to me) it might appear that the world is coming to an end when something hurtful happens but this is nothing compare to what other people can and usually do experience during their lives (living in the US or other develop economies is a blessing if you don't believe me what the news or visit those places).

Also, my professor for the last time isn't an ass. The context of him calling someone an idiot was left off so that you could see that even it he was a really bad person you could still learn from him (like what to do and not do). This isn't out of the norm in college class when people ask really "stupid/idiotic" questions. Yes, some people do refrain but what I liked about the professor was that he was upfront. He called me an idiot once with a smile on his face because I noticed that he was talking to me as an equal (not in the student-professor way) and I liked that because it showed that the professor really cared about your development (like I said before he taught us about many more things than just engineering and I'm grateful because no other professor has done the same). It seems to me that you're an idealist, the problem with idealist is that they think that things need to happen the "ideal" way unfortunately the world is full of variables and that's why I'm a realist. An engineer needs to be a pragmatic otherwise he/she would hate engineering lol.

Finally, I see your intake on inbreeding I agree that the government shouldn't involve itself in my bedroom. Now, about people passing on AID/HIV my friend I don't care how liberal/conservative you are. If you knew that someone was doing that and not telling potential partners of the risk they're getting themselves in then that's the equivalent of you helping to spread an incredible horrible virus that is killing people. Then again, it's the fault of the receiver for getting into bed with an individual without knowing their natural state (I know this is hard but it's possible). Also, I told you (with scientific facts) why inbreeding/incest is just not natural from the human/species level. However, we aren't talking about that. We're talking about High School DxD, Sexism, is the anime industry sexist and so forth.


Okay. I see your point.
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16 , edited 1/25/16
Could I dig this discussion out again aha

I was wondering does anyone find episode 172 in Fairy Tail season 1 to be a very regressive(negative) representation of women? thoughts?
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
Japan's not exactly the most progressive country when it comes to feminism and gender equality....
jcdf32 
13089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Western Europe
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

Laffie010 wrote:

Could I dig this discussion out again aha

I was wondering does anyone find episode 172 in Fairy Tail season 1 to be a very regressive(negative) representation of women? thoughts?


I just went off to watch this episode for the first time on utube. It was far too ridiculous to be treated as a serous representation of anything.
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
But the Japanese Culture seems to be the complete opposite ?! I mean they value respect over a lot of things ... Surely anime like fairy tail goes against these value :/
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
Hmm Or perhaps regressive representation of women in anime is thought out too much ... And the far fetched representation in fairy tail is just down to Imagination (I agree ep 172 is sooo bad ) But imagination is triggered by a lot of things like inspiration...desires...(could lots of anime be the foundation of male desires?...) or just chance most animes revolve around similar aspects like being cute (large eyes) etc ?? ..
17765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

Nogara-san wrote:

Japan's not exactly the most progressive country when it comes to feminism and gender equality....


lol this^^^ japan started gettting women in to the military becuase some general did not want men 'doing women's work'.
japan is one of the most sexist modern countries in the world.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
Different culture, different point of views. You know how it goes; no need to explain.
9451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
Fanservice and creepy sexual content in general.

Spineless male characters. Though I suppose that's often just unspeakably incompetent writing.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/16
When someone claims that there is an instance of sexism in anime, there's about a 99,99% probability that it's all in their head. They treat anime as if it was an extension of not just the real world, but specifically American society and politics. They take everything literally and can't see that anime is, most of the time and more or less, fantasy divorced from the real world. Most of their ideas come from feminism, an ideology that makes no sense at all. So we get gems like this:

Females with extremely big breasts and a perfect phyzic, dumb klutzy females, weak females.

It's a recurring argument that having big breasts is sexist... yet apparently women who actually have big breasts are not being sexist? Or are they? Or maybe, like clumsy and weak women, they don't actually exist and are a mere figment of the patriarchy's propaganda machine. Anything is possible in the wacky world of feminism.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/27/16

drninja wrote:

When someone claims that there is an instance of sexism in anime, there's about a 99,99% probability that it's all in their head.


Yeah.


They treat anime as if it was an extension of not just the real world, but specifically American society and politics.


Yeah.


They take everything literally and can't see that anime is, most of the time and more or less, fantasy divorced from the real world.


Yeah!!!


Most of their ideas come from feminism, an ideology that makes no sense at all.


No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A


So we get gems like this:


It's a recurring argument that having big breasts is sexist... yet apparently women who actually have big breasts are not being sexist? Or are they? Or maybe, like clumsy and weak women, they don't actually exist and are a mere figment of the patriarchy's propaganda machine. Anything is possible in the wacky world of feminism.


Why do you have to confuse authoritarian radfem jerks with the rest of us? We've been fighting them since the 70's and 80's and everything on matters such as sex positivity, sexual orientation as a political tool, and even transgender identification.
Posted 1/27/16
I still feel insulted after all these months.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/16

BlueOni wrote:
No. :(

Yes.


Why do you have to confuse authoritarian radfem jerks with the rest of us?

Because so-called moderate feminists are an irrelevant minority of people who have misunderstood feminism.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.