First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply The average person is a complete moron.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 3/9/15 , edited 3/9/15
LMAO
18 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Manchester, England
Offline
Posted 3/9/15
Erm... yeah I think you may have been speaking to the wrong people if every single one of them has been a "moron". That or you're just being a D-bag. Either way, you might want to tone down the elitism, that's pretty off-putting to most people (even smart people - shock horror).
32174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/9/15

DesuMaiden wrote:

I hate having to sugar coat things. I am pretty dead honest because I have Asperger's Syndrome. I hate authority and government. And I'm also an anarchist and libertarian. I'm pretty much like Spock from Star Trek. I think almost purely with logic and reason and not with emotions although I sometimes do get very pissed off and get angry.


What led you to anarchist/libertarian beliefs?

Have you watched Mahouka? Did you like it?

Why are you watching anime? Like what in particular draws you to it? If it makes you happy, isn't that emotionally-based decision making? What in particular is it that makes you happy about anime? If not, what is it?

And since you seem combative and ready and rearin' to go for some sort of intellectual contest, I'll pose a debate for you:

Emotion is something that living creatures have evolved over millions of years. The specific combinations of hormones, neurotransmitters, etc. that produce/facilitate emotions are part of our makeup because they actually make us more biologically competitive, more likely to be able to survive to reproduce, not less.

Fear encourages animals (and humans) to avoid dangerous stimuli, and the adrenalin release that occurs in moments of great fear or excitement allows us to function at a higher perceptual/physical level for short periods of time. Happiness is in part a function of endorphins, and it incentivizes us to pursue rewarding activities. Love encourages us to mate and pass on our genes. Of course, these emotions can be twisted into things that don't help us, especially in the modern world which is so different from the environment in which we evolved them. However, it's difficult to argue that emotional capacity isn't a net positive, both for our species, and for us as individuals.

Moving beyond the purely scientific, from a sociological perspective it is difficult to function effectively in a society of emotive individuals as someone who is governed so strongly by logical principles, no? You can blame that on society for not being perfectly meritocratic (according to your particular brand of meritocracy), blame others as lesser beings, and rail against reality, but the world's not going to suddenly go "oh, you're right," and completely change.

As a result, isn't it illogical to be as wholly against emotion as you are? I certainly laud rational, critical thought. I also think people should be disciplined and control and focus their emotions. But to dismiss emotion outright as a "weakness" is objectively incorrect. It doesn't acknowledge how deeply biologically and evolutionarily integrated emotion is into our day-to-day existence. It doesn't acknowledge how necessary emotional capacity is for functioning in human society to one's fullest potential. Most of all, it precludes the emotional self-awareness necessary to grow as a human being

Also, don't call most women shallow or stupid. I'm not going to get into a long debate on why you're wrong because I've already spent WAY too much of my time on this post. But you are. (I know how much this answer bothers you, and frankly I don't give a shit). Let's move on to reasons that might actually get you to not talk like this. You probably don't care about hurting other people's feelings, so I won't go down that route . Let's go with: you're logical, being mean to other people won't get you any points. In fact, it'll actively make them not like you. In many cases (like on an internet forum), this imposes very little cost for you. In some, it may impose major costs. However, let's make a friendly assumption and say the social costs are negligible. So why are you doing it? What's the benefit? If you're saying something that I'm sure you are aware is socially grating purely because you believe it to be objectively true, why? You can rationalize it with statements like "because I value objective truth above all else" and things like that. Sure, I could believe you've had this thought (women in general are shallow) in your head, and you think its true, but the reason that you picked here and now as the place to voice it is far different from whatever justification you'll use to defend it.

We can extend this to your whole argument. You'll argue whether or not the premises you've raised are correct or incorrect, and I'm just pointing out that the reason you've raised them in particular (and even had the extensive internal debates required to generate them in the first place) probably has a lot less to do with the unflinching pursuit of objective truth (or whatever other rationalization you're choosing as your motive), and a lot more with emotions. For instance, you just wrote a open letter to an anime forum asking if there were other people like you. That probably means you're lonely. You also said you're a misanthrope, and generally misanthropes reject people because they feel that people have rejected them. All of this is fine. You're human. If I were you, I'd try to explore my emotions as much as you already explore your prodigious rational/critical thinking abilities (which I have no doubt of). If you acted on them and tried to satisfy them more, rather than trying to bottle them up as a weakness, you probably wouldn't have as much trouble with outbursts like this.

FWIW - I think you'll be very successful in whatever career you go into (or are already in), and most likely you'll find a woman who also has Asberger's and thinks like you, and you'll live happily ever after. I want to be very clear I'm not saying "you suck and you're wrong and I hate you" here. Like I said, I have a good friend who has Asberger's, and he's struggled with this way of thinking for a long time. Ultimately, I think it hasn't been conducive to his happiness, but I've never been able to convince him to look at the world much differently. I'm not even positive whether the way I'm looking at the world is better, because each perspective has it's own strengths and weaknesses. But anyway, I thought I'd try out my arguments on you, to see what you thought. Probably not much, but I tried to at least make it interesting for you to pick apart. Enjoy! And chill out, dude. Let's just sit back and have some dumb fun watching some animoos.
13563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/9/15

morechunch wrote:


dreadreaver89 wrote:

I'd like to see the data that you must of meticulously collected over a long period of time to make such a claim, but it probably doesn't exist.


Can be exemplified pretty quickly, though.

For nonexistent data on people being morons, that is.


I'm sure someone could provide examples of people being morons that's easy. Anyone could look up a youtube video of people acting like idiots. It's still not enough to substantiate such a claim of the 'average person'.
5028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 3/9/15
I usually think back to school, on average, any one classroom will have 1 or 2 highly intelligent, adaptable, empathetic, separated ego from conscious mind, ect. ect. Broaden that to the population, you know its basically 1 out of 25, 10 out of 250, 100 out of 2500, 1000 out of 25000, 10000 out of 250000, 100000 out of 2500000, ect... And that is being quite liberal as well....
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/9/15 , edited 3/9/15

Charvisioku wrote:

Erm... yeah I think you may have been speaking to the wrong people if every single one of them has been a "moron". That or you're just being a D-bag. Either way, you might want to tone down the elitism, that's pretty off-putting to most people (even smart people - shock horror).


But it's really of less concern than the shock horror that people are always so dumb, and shock horror sometimes you gotta vent if you want to maintain social relationships. And in my experience with Aspergers you gotta vent hard like at least half the time, both because of and also in detriment to your relationships with people.

People's lack of attention to each other, especially strangers, is why I don't like going to restaurants with certain friends. If you don't like the food don't be mad at the server, don't be mad at anybody, just explain what's wrong and deal with the outcome. Of course you can be upset, but it's not like you're upset with anything but the situation. If somebody's rude about it, yeah, you struggle to deal with that too, because you remember that.

If you are offended by the OP, you can find solace in the hope that most people do not watch anime, and maybe hope upon hope that you're not most people and not a moron.

Elitism is annoying, but the that drives a lot of face-to-face interaction is that niceness is more important than honesty and honesty is elitism, so honesty must only be colored with emotion for social purposes. Which would mean you couldn't have responded the way you did, regardless of what you meant to defend, without being elitist, which I don't really get. And it's better that you were able to respond that way, in my opinion, because it's fun for me to unleash my ideas and frustration in the same format.

It's a big paradox, how can people exist as morons? I must be one too, if it's so likely, but I don't know how to define a moron. Is it someone dumber than yourself? Dumber meaning what? For what it's worth I think we're all dumb, Aspergers cannot make one dumb or not dumb, humanity took care of that.

So I'll be discontent as a moron, and when I get the chance, I'll vent what I really wanted to say in ways that are as positive as I can make them, in the hopes that some day people will make my world less moronic so that I can learn faster.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/10/15 , edited 3/10/15

dreadreaver89 wrote:


morechunch wrote:


dreadreaver89 wrote:

I'd like to see the data that you must of meticulously collected over a long period of time to make such a claim, but it probably doesn't exist.


Can be exemplified pretty quickly, though.

For nonexistent data on people being morons, that is.


I'm sure someone could provide examples of people being morons that's easy. Anyone could look up a youtube video of people acting like idiots. It's still not enough to substantiate such a claim of the 'average person'.


It's not really calling for substantiation or trying to prove anything, nothing in the language says "I'm right and you're wrong." It's more of "it has never occurred to me to fib, and white lies make no more sense than bald-face lies, what is wrong with the world?"

Without numbers and studies, how is it any different from any other honest perception of this frustrating world?
13563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/10/15 , edited 3/10/15

morechunch wrote:


dreadreaver89 wrote:


morechunch wrote:


dreadreaver89 wrote:

I'd like to see the data that you must of meticulously collected over a long period of time to make such a claim, but it probably doesn't exist.


Can be exemplified pretty quickly, though.

For nonexistent data on people being morons, that is.


I'm sure someone could provide examples of people being morons that's easy. Anyone could look up a youtube video of people acting like idiots. It's still not enough to substantiate such a claim of the 'average person'.


It's not really calling for substantiation or trying to prove anything, nothing in the language says "I'm right and you're wrong." It's more of "it has never occurred to me to fib, and white lies make no more sense than bald-face lies, what is wrong with the world?"

Without numbers and studies, how is it any different from any other honest perception of this frustrating world?


Okay then, you have your own outlook about people in general that's fine. I doubt anything I say would convince you or the OP otherwise. I was just addressing the OP's statement since he presented it as a fact and was asking for evidence to the contrary.

Vempy 
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/10/15

morechunch wrote:



That's why our sentences, spelling, and punctuation have to be just so.


Just so, maybe, but not necessarily correct. His comma usage and some of his sentence structure is questionable.

Just saying...
5025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / Mexico
Offline
Posted 3/10/15
I don't know if I have asperger's too because I think the very same way. People are stupid, but the hard part comes when you find out, EVERYONE is like that, your parents, your friends, the government, everyone... and the people that thinks like us, are hidden somewhere because it hard to find them. Anyway, maby I should be diagnosed asperger's as well... so if anyone gets offended I just argue I'm "ill" sorry. lol.
have a good one!
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/10/15
What did Spock say to Trelane?
2052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/10/15 , edited 3/10/15
I feel bad for you man, some of the best people i know are dumb as a rock. And just because you don't have a girl in your life right now doesn't mean they're shallow or stupid. Give people a chance, you might like what you see.
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/10/15
The OP is the biggest moron of them all. F**ing Elitist....
Posted 3/10/15

DesuMaiden wrote:

The average person is nothing more than a complete moron who can't critically think at all. All they do is absorb in the bullshit from mainstream media and regurgitate it. I'm not wasting my time arguing any important issues with most people because most people are too moronic to understand it. The average person thinks with their emotions, and not with logic and reason. That's why they make so many moronic mistakes. I hate people who only think with their emotions and not with logic and reason. So yes, I hate the average person. I don't have a girl friend, and I'm 25 because I find that most girls are too shallow and stupid. The only type of girl I would date is an intellectual and intelligent girl, and that's very hard to find nowadays. And I don't care about whether the girl I am dating has a university degree or not because university degrees have zero relevance in measuring one's intelligence.

Remember, critical thinking is a skill only a handful of people have. Most people lack in critical thinking skills. Of course, you can disagree with me, and prove me wrong. Please try.

I hate having to sugar coat things. I am pretty dead honest because I have Asperger's Syndrome. I hate authority and government. And I'm also an anarchist and libertarian. I'm pretty much like Spock from Star Trek. I think almost purely with logic and reason and not with emotions although I sometimes do get very pissed off and get angry.

The reason I am making this thread is because I am asking if there are other people on this forum who have Asperger' Syndrome, and share the same or similar views as me. Here's a fun fact. Just because I have Asperger's Syndrome doesn't mean I don't have any social skills. My social skills are actually pretty good. The only reason I often piss off other people is because I'm just sometimes too damn honest to the point of offending people since I don't like to sugar coat things. I do, however, have to sometimes control my emotions mainly because I am often very angry. I have a bad temper. But other than that, I think pretty rationally and logically.


I fail to see how you can so strongly believe you possess critical thinking skills when you're that narrow-minded and so quick to come to conclusions about everything. I mean... I'm sure you're thinking and that's good, but I highly doubt you're doing much critical thinking.

Here's something that might enlighten you about critical thinking -- IF you would bother to stop assuming you already know everything and simply let your mind absorb new information.

http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/defining-critical-thinking/766
1931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/10/15
Why should we care?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.