First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
US Flag Ban....in the US?!
27358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?
28218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
Yeah, while we're at it, let's ban our Australian flag here in Australia. It all falls back down to "don't like it? Don't look at it."
18178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
This is like the similar case I presented on my thread Clipboards in Public.

Just because you can garner enough votes / signatures, it doesn't mean the action you want to implement is the right thing.

In this case, these students are just exercising their so called "community awareness/involvement" and/or "intelligence" because they're in college.
It's just another way to build up some hype on their resumes. "Oh, I did something ground shaking. Seen the media involvement? Twitter?"
Bitch, please.

Oh, you want to participate in an Alternative Break where you go to a third-world country and build a small school in some village? Really? You care that much? You say you'll be away for a week. What? One day of carrying bricks and the rest of the week is going sight-seeing and touring. Do you even know if the land you're trying to erect a school is legal property? How about electricity to maintain it? How about the authorities? Do they acknowledge the idea of building a school? Nah, man. You're just joining the Alternative Break for your own interest. To boost up your resume. Why go outside the country, for starters?

Does anyone even care what SGA does? No. Most students would rather go home and study.
5169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
I personally dont think its right to do such. Just try and get away with that in another country..
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/12/15


Personally i hate everything about the American Flag with a passion...
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
Young college students (who have come to terms with the fact that they didn't know everything in high-school, but after a few political science classes now do ) trying to show their advanced intellectual ideas and make a mark on the world. That's my first impression at least.

Naïve and disrespectful to a lot of history both good and bad.
8348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!
27358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


Every nation was founded through conquest. At what point do you think national pride becomes unacceptable?
8348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

Morbidhanson wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


Every nation was founded through conquest. At what point do you think national pride becomes unacceptable?


Theres nothing wrong with having national pride. What I dont understand is why Americans care so much about the flag? Am I right in thinking its still illegal to burn it? At the end of the day it is JUST a bit of cloth. The students had the right idea about taking it down. NOT because they hate their country, but because they understand that there are just as many foreigners/immigrants living there and going to the schools as there are born and bred Americans.
27358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


Every nation was founded through conquest. At what point do you think national pride becomes unacceptable?


Theres nothing wrong with having national pride. What I dont understand is why Americans care so much about the flag? Am I right in thinking its still illegal to burn it? At the end of the day it is JUST a bit of cloth. The students had the right idea about taking it down. NOT because they hate their country, but because they understand that there are just as many foreigners/immigrants living there and going to the schools as there are born and bred Americans.


All societies since the dawn of humankind have found a certain intangible value in symbols. Flags are like coats of arms or unique tribal designs, and I think the importance of symbols is not to be overlooked. Although it is true that a flag is just a piece of cloth, symbols are undeniably important to all cultures. I don't think it should necessarily be a crime to deface a flag, but I find it difficult to find it not at least somewhat disrespectful. Vandalizing the symbol of a people has traditionally been considered offensive to many, like burning a bible or burning a cross. The significance of the act is not in the act itself, but in what it represents.

Words are symbols too. Letters stand for sounds, the combination of which conveys meaning. A curse word in one language can be written in various ways using symbols for the proper sounds in any number of other languages. Why do people react a certain way to say....certain words or certain images? Symbolism is so thoroughly integrated with our daily experiences that we don't always realize how important they are for us.

I do agree that it is probably a good idea to know that a symbol is a mere symbol, but disregarding a national symbol comes across as callous and inconsiderate. Especially since these people know the significance of the flag and are intimate with the importance of that symbol. If it was a mere piece of cloth to them, they would not mind whether it was flying proudly on a pole or trampled on the ground. This means they are very much aware of what the flag stands for.

In my opinion, they have simply chosen to interpret the symbol in a way that is inconsistent with how it is supposed to be interpreted by those who value it.

Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
The school is federal property, instead of being neutral territory. Should lawmakers (and anyone else higher up) interfere and potentially block student governments of federally-owned schools from being able to ban the USA flag, the students will be reminded of their positions.
6383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


which was because your country was the most tyrannical and the monarchy where inbreed jack asses. and yet we kicked our asses and saved your asses twice.
6383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


Every nation was founded through conquest. At what point do you think national pride becomes unacceptable?


Theres nothing wrong with having national pride. What I dont understand is why Americans care so much about the flag? Am I right in thinking its still illegal to burn it? At the end of the day it is JUST a bit of cloth. The students had the right idea about taking it down. NOT because they hate their country, but because they understand that there are just as many foreigners/immigrants living there and going to the schools as there are born and bred Americans.


it is a symbol. one that we take seriously and that many have died to protect. It is not something I expect a Brit to understand.
8348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

wolfbrother0 wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


which was because your country was the most tyrannical and the monarchy where inbreed jack asses. and yet we kicked our asses and saved your asses twice.


Tyranical? Im sorry, who was it who had slaves again? Im sure they thought you were just wonderful.

And you think you saved us? You turned up at the END of WW2 simply so you could pick the side who was going to win, like the cowards you are...

18178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

Punk_Mela wrote:

Young college students (who have come to terms with the fact that they didn't know everything in high-school, but after a few political science classes now do ) trying to show their advanced intellectual ideas and make a mark on the world. That's my first impression at least.

Naïve and disrespectful to a lot of history both good and bad.

Thank you. You said it more precise than I did.

SGA is just another form of "playing house." Have you guys notice that most presidents and vice presidents of their own SGAs are students in either in their final years or transitioning to graduate school of their respective programs? Who has the balls to do it during their freshmen years of college? They aren't in it to make a big difference in behalf on their own fellow colleagues. They are in it for themselves, not including their colleagues, to look better in their resumes.
SGA is proposing to have better alternative lunches in their campus?? Have more Subways? Bitch, you don't have to propose. Even if there's SGA or not Subways will be built because it's a good business-- due to the current trend where everything has to be consciously healthy. Give several more years another trend would develop and the consciously healthy concept would be long forgotten.
SGA is proposing to have more parking space?? Bitch, they don't need SGA to know that. Each university knows that because every year they set a certain goal on how much students they could attract and make them enroll in their place. The universities make SGAs think they have a voice but not really. Business is business.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.