First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply US Flag Ban....in the US?!
17893 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
yeah, while im one of the most unpatriotic on this forum,
no just no.
its a school funded by the state.
and as such, the flag is a sacred symbol and should be flown.
like sirously, WTF?
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
i can agree with them.

but i've never been attached to flags... whether my own country or another country's... its only purpose is to separate even more people... so i never understood people who hang flag outside their house or their car... or drape themselves in their nation's flag...

this quote from john lennon's song just resonates with me, "Imagine there's no country".
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
This is the dumbest thing I've seen yet, you want to ban the stars and stripes? our countries banner? I am at a loss of words.......
14935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

... its only purpose is to separate even more people...


It's the exact opposite!

A nation's flag stands to unite the people who live under it. That's why people hang the flag outside their homes or cars, wrap themselves in it, or even have it draped across their coffin.

In a word, the flag represents solidarity.
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
The all inclusive things makes the English hesitant to use their flag (now it's been picked up by the racist EDL, putting more people off it) which makes it a real shame. I actually think that the US flag is all inclusive - it's the flag of the country that you're in. Claiming that it's not is more non-inclusive really. Your flag is a symbol of your pride and your country. In Scotland we have 2 flags (the blue and white cross of St. Andrew and the Lion Rampant) and they never represent exclusion of the English. In the same way the US flag has never been a flag that excluded anybody - it is a symbol of unity more than anything else.
27015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Pudding_Head wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

... its only purpose is to separate even more people...


It's the exact opposite!

A nation's flag stands to unite the people who live under it. That's why people hang the flag outside their homes or cars, wrap themselves in it, or even have it draped across their coffin.

In a word, the flag represents solidarity.


Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.
4138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


which was because your country was the most tyrannical and the monarchy where inbreed jack asses. and yet we kicked our asses and saved your asses twice.


Tyranical? Im sorry, who was it who had slaves again? Im sure they thought you were just wonderful.

And you think you saved us? You turned up at the END of WW2 simply so you could pick the side who was going to win, like the cowards you are...


Actually we picked a side due to the whole Japan attacking us thing but this is all besides the point of this thread.

Every country has it's dark points. Every country was founded on conquest. To expand through war was the way of the world for centuries. Therefore no country should be shamed for how it was founded because everyone is the same. We weren't the first ones to own slaves either we just joined in on the slave trade but again every country has done fucked up shit at least once or twice in their history. So bringing up stuff like that is no excuse to disrespect the country or flag.

The point of this thread and what really matters is there if you live in this country and consider yourself a part of it you should have at least enough respect for it to honor it's symbol. You can make fun of the stupid government all you want (I certainly do) but the Flag is a symbol that people gave their lives to protect. It's a symbol of unity that shows we are a nation.

This isn't like keeping out religion so that people can believe what they want this is about respecting the country you are in. If you hate America so much you can't stand to have a flag around then you really shouldn't be here.
4138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

Lenalee1 wrote:


Pudding_Head wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

... its only purpose is to separate even more people...


It's the exact opposite!

A nation's flag stands to unite the people who live under it. That's why people hang the flag outside their homes or cars, wrap themselves in it, or even have it draped across their coffin.

In a word, the flag represents solidarity.


Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.


Because some people are racist scum. Don't group all american's together just because some people are assholes.

Bad people will make any excuse to start trouble but the flag itself is meant as a symbol of unity and country pride. It in no way excludes other people. So even if you aren't american it's not like you aren't allowed to be non American where ever a flag is hung. Hell some government buildies where various countries interact or meet hang several nations flags.

So countries flags aren't to exclude people but to include them as part of a nation and show others that you are a nation.
25112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Online
Posted 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:
And you think you saved us? You turned up at the END of WW2 simply so you could pick the side who was going to win, like the cowards you are...


We don't know for sure if the Soviets could have won out on their own. Even if they did, them being in sole control of Germany would have posed its own problems.

But sure, keep thinking of obnoxious, ignorant things to say. American education may tend to be a bit biased, but at least they have one.
Posted 3/11/15
after reading up on all this it just seems to be a misguided attempt by young people who didn't fully think through the ramifications of their decision.

someone put up a US flag in the student council building, then someone else took it down, then the flag got put up again and taken down again. this went back and forth until they asked the student council to mediate. they decided to ban all flags, but also included some unnecessary comments in their decision about what they think the flag symbolizes etc..they should have just kept it matter of fact and stated their thoughts about inclusion of everyone, no matter the nation, in the student council area and sticking with the no flag precedence that was in place previously; rather than making an ideological/political statement.

imo, i'm ok with there being no flag inside that building because it wasn't previously there. however, since the school is funded by the federal gov then it's ultimately the school boards decision if a flag should or shouldn't be in there.



Lenalee1 wrote:


Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.


do you have a source for this?
43931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
I think this is one of those generational gap issues, a lot of millennial's don't look patriotic to much of the older generations, due in part to corruption of the system, and as such voice strong dislike of their government. That doesn't mean they dislike their country, or Democracy, it just means they're sticking to the Ideal's of the founding fathers. For example, most older American's hate the idea of editing the constitution in any way, believing it to be "Unpatriotic", but there are so many things that exist today that didn't exist in the 18th century, or were invented then. We live in a different time, and thus it might be time to update the constitution to reflect new advancements. For example, we could now implement a true "Direct Democracy" due to the internet, as opposed to a "Representative Democracy", even in a country as big as the United states (and yes, there would be some issues, like trouble getting budgets/taxes passed, but let's face it, the current government in practice gets so little done on that front, that any problem we encounter related to budget/taxes aren't going to be any worse.) Another point that has become a "patriot" issue is Capitalism. True Capitalism doesn't work! We already don't practice it since the government isn't laissez-faire and we have also learned that Monopoly's are the end result. In reality we have never seen a true "communism" or "socialism" government, and so far as things go "true capitalism" is the only socioeconomic system since feudalism/serfdom that has been truly tested and proven false.

But flag burning is still a stupid Idea, though what they were attempting to do wasn't so bad considering the number of international students who study in the USA. For an extreme example, wouldn't you be uncomfortable in a room full of nazi germany flags? North Korean flags?

I personally believe in Democracy, and the great things that America has accomplished, but I don't believe our current Federal government is following real democracy anymore, and that is something that I won't stand for, because to me that's not Patriotic! We are still human, just like everyone else, and believing in any idea of Exceptionalism (including American Exceptionalism)is dangerous since it could easily lead to things like Facism.
46429 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
Just let them have their flags... Does it hurt you physically in any way if there's an flag hanging somewhere? No it doesn't, so let it stay there!

This sounds like the stupidity of a thing that happened in my country (Sweden) a while back. I think is was the embassy of Iraq or something similar that had their flag pointing out from their embassy... And some nationalists took that as them violating Swedish air space... Even tho the flag was on a house that they owned. And then the media started talking about it for a day or two...

Sometimes you just have to table flip at peoples stupidity...!



13565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


which was because your country was the most tyrannical and the monarchy where inbreed jack asses. and yet we kicked our asses and saved your asses twice.


Tyranical? Im sorry, who was it who had slaves again? Im sure they thought you were just wonderful.

And you think you saved us? You turned up at the END of WW2 simply so you could pick the side who was going to win, like the cowards you are...



America was aiding the Allied forces by sending supplies and weapons long before it entered the war.

And since you brought up slavery how about those colonies Britain controlled back during WW2? India ringing any bells? Every country has grim history don't pretend yours is any different.
21606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Hell
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/13/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

i can agree with them.

but i've never been attached to flags... whether my own country or another country's... its only purpose is to separate even more people... so i never understood people who hang flag outside their house or their car... or drape themselves in their nation's flag...

this quote from john lennon's song just resonates with me, "Imagine there's no country".


Um, what?! Are you serious?! No. You're just pulling our leg, right?!

It's not about you being attached to a flag or not, it's about this being the country's own f*cking flag! It's suppose to be the visual representation of a country! No one is saying you have to worship the damn thing, but respect it, especially if it's the host country's flag!

I can't imagine me going over to someone's house and asking them to please remove their statue of Jesus from their living room because it somehow upsets me and is an insult to my religion. Oh boo hoo! cry me a river!

This is pure bullshit, and easily one of the most nonsensical stories I've ever heard, in fact, it's so damn stupid that I would have never believed someone if they told me that this was going on.

If people don't like a country, then need they need to pack their shit up, buy a ticket, and get the hell back to their pissthole since they're obviously homesick.

This story seriously infuriates me!

It reminds me of a story my mother told me of a co worker she use to work with.

The lady came from a country in Africa to work here int he states.
My mother said that on an almost weekly basis the lady would assert that "America is an evil and nasty country, and that God will punish this wicked country one day for all of it's sins that it has committed against her home country" My mother became upset that this lady would constantly be taking swings at country she ironically lives in, so My mother asked the lady "If you hate the U,S so much, why are you hear?" her reply was "to make a better life for me and my family" My mother replied, "then I guess this evil country is giving you an opportunity that you precious country could not offer."

The woman stopped her bitching soon after.

Word of advice people, if you don't like where you're living, then move, and if you can do any better, then stop complaining and work towards a goal of moving.
43931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Kavalion wrote:

We don't know for sure if the Soviets could have won out on their own. Even if they did, them being in sole control of Germany would have posed its own problems.

But sure, keep thinking of obnoxious, ignorant things to say. American education may tend to be a bit biased, but at least they have one.


A little Biased, I didn't learn a single thing about Russia or Germany that wasn't talking about WWI or WWII or cold war in Russia's case, nor anything about China except the Tiananmen Square incident... actually about the only thing in the "world history" class that I did learn was about England or France, with the exception of WWI/WWII history (which probably failed to list anything the Soviet Union or China did to help us win), Asia never even got mention with the exception of Japan in relation to WWII/Atomic bomb. I guess it just shows how much we won, history written by the victors and whatnot... either call it Euro/European History 101 or don't teach it at all!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.