First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
US Flag Ban....in the US?!
Posted 3/11/15
You know I'm not sure how I feel about this. Yes, it was a stupid action as the flag symbolizes Freedom for all. However I do not want to say that the University students had bad motives. They could have had good motives, but it ended in them doing something stupid. I do hope the news will not milk this and try to paint the students as Anti-American. The video was kind of showing that the news already was. The one lady said something like "if you don't like the flag then leave." It definitely felt like those students were painted in a negative light. I do not agree with the students' decision( whether they had good motives or not) as it seems like they didn't they about what the Flag is supposed to represent.
4398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Hehaho1830 wrote:


Kavalion wrote:

We don't know for sure if the Soviets could have won out on their own. Even if they did, them being in sole control of Germany would have posed its own problems.

But sure, keep thinking of obnoxious, ignorant things to say. American education may tend to be a bit biased, but at least they have one.


A little Biased, I didn't learn a single thing about Russia or Germany that wasn't talking about WWI or WWII or cold war in Russia's case, nor anything about China except the Tiananmen Square incident... actually about the only thing in the "world history" class that I did learn was about England or France, with the exception of WWI/WWII history (which probably failed to list anything the Soviet Union or China did to help us win), Asia never even got mention with the exception of Japan in relation to WWII/Atomic bomb. I guess it just shows how much we won, history written by the victors and whatnot... either call it Euro/European History 101 or don't teach it at all!



To be fair covering all of world history properly would be pretty damn hard. But there are higher level history classes in collage that do cover foreign histories better. But that stuff is for people who major in that kind of thing. The rest of us just need to be familiar with our countries history and how other counties history relate to ours.

Although I don't have much of an interest in history so I don't really care much either way.
27015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15


I never directed it towards all Americans, so stop.

That may be a fact, but is it really working like that out in the real world? In the lights of recent events in America, are some American communities really basing on solidarity between the different cultures in the country, or is it still fairly narrow-minded? You can't say that the American government in itself isn't contradicting such very statements.

Government buildings all over the world hang other nations' flags. It means nothing.
Posted 3/11/15
reading is fundamental <.<
27015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

-mockingbird wrote:

after reading up on all this it just seems to be a misguided attempt by young people who didn't fully think through the ramifications of their decision.

someone put up a US flag in the student council building, then someone else took it down, then the flag got put up again and taken down again. this went back and forth until they asked the student council to mediate. they decided to ban all flags, but also included some unnecessary comments in their decision about what they think the flag symbolizes etc..they should have just kept it matter of fact and stated their thoughts about inclusion of everyone, no matter the nation, in the student council area and sticking with the no flag precedence that was in place previously; rather than making an ideological/political statement.

imo, i'm ok with there being no flag inside that building because it wasn't previously there. however, since the school is funded by the federal gov then it's ultimately the school boards decision if a flag should or shouldn't be in there.



Lenalee1 wrote:


Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.


do you have a source for this?


It happened ages ago, but feel free to Google it.

Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


Tyranical? Im sorry, who was it who had slaves again? Im sure they thought you were just wonderful.

And you think you saved us? You turned up at the END of WW2 simply so you could pick the side who was going to win, like the cowards you are...



Sorry darling, but the UK (ENGLANDLAND) is the country that had slavery before America, and introduced slavery TO America.

Slavery existed in the UK from well before Roman times.

Slavery was only abolished in England in 1833 and that too ONLY IN CERTAIN COUNTRIES! Apparently the British thought it alright to have slaves in some countries - the ones of course, they stole. Those exceptions were only eliminated in 1843 - though racism was very blatant and the people of the occupied countries were treated liker vermin.


Let us not forget the British Empire and the many countries it oppressed for centuries. Not to mention the people it treated like vermin - yes, even in THEIR own lands. The British of all people should not speak, considering what they did to the world for so long. Stealing lands not their own, segregating the people, making the native people secondary in their own countries, making slaves of the people, taking people from their own country and selling them as slaves in other countries...And not just in America!

America was in WW2 supplying the Allies even BEFORE officially joining the war. Truth is, without America the was would not have been by by any means. America did a LOAD of stuff in the war. Both America and Russia (the former second even to the latter) won the war; without these two countries, you would be sucking Nazi cock right now sweetheart.

You need to read a bit more on history, luv. I know it'll be an effort for your coddled brains but at least try.


Lenalee1 wrote:

Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.


Yes, mention an incident of racism against an American Muslim - this comment coming from you, a person from Europe where Muslims face a LOAD of racism and discrimination all the time and on a daily basis. Not to mention the racism that pretty much anyone who isn't of European ethnicity faces on a daily basis.

Throw some bananas in the lot, anyone?
4398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

Lenalee1 wrote:



I never directed it towards all Americans, so stop.

That may be a fact, but is it really working like that out in the real world? In the lights of recent events in America, are some American communities really basing on solidarity between the different cultures in the country, or is it still fairly narrow-minded? You can't say that the American government in itself is contradicting such very statements.

Government buildings all over the world hang other nations' flags. It means nothing.


For the most art if you ask most people they are fairy accepting of other cultures. You'll always have the vocal idiots who think otherwise but they can't really be helped. But that isn't even the issue if you are in this country you should respect it and that means respecting the flag. You don't have to worship the thing or carry it yourself but you shouldn't ban it either. This is the united states and we should be able to display our own damn flag. Again regardless of how stupid some people are the flag is a symbol of or country and it's unity so banning it is very disrespectful. Also just to be clear this applies to every country so it's not just about us. If I was in Russia I would show their flag respect and every other country the same way.

You are missing the point and what you just said proved my point even more. The fact government buildings hang various nations flags proves they are in no way excluding anyone. They are a symbol of the nations and their pride and since it's a place where various nations meet they all proudly display their nation's flags. They aren't pushing away or insulting any other nation they are just displaying their own.

Same with this case they are mearly displaying the flag of the country they live in they aren't saying anything (neither positive nor negative) about anyone one else. So there is no reason anyone should want to take the flag down besides disliking America and if that is the case those people really shouldn't live here.

After all I wouldn't want to live in a country I didn't like. Not that I hate anyone in particular but if I did I wouldn't live in their country.
Posted 3/11/15

Lenalee1 wrote:



It happened ages ago, but feel free to Google it.



the burden of proof is not upon me, but anything i read from you essentially boils down to trolling so i shouldn't have expected much.
4398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

-mockingbird wrote:


Lenalee1 wrote:



It happened ages ago, but feel free to Google it.



the burden of proof is not upon me, but anything i read from you essentially boils down to trolling so i shouldn't have expected much.


It can't be helped. At some point hating on America became the cool thing to do. Forget about all the shit every other country did OURS is the one who should be judged for everything it's ever done. Hypocrisy be damned.

All we can do is call them out on their hypocrisy and bullshit and move on.
27015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

teallerina wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Tyranical? Im sorry, who was it who had slaves again? Im sure they thought you were just wonderful.

And you think you saved us? You turned up at the END of WW2 simply so you could pick the side who was going to win, like the cowards you are...



Sorry darling, but the UK (ENGLANDLAND) is the country that had slavery before America, and introduced slavery TO America.

Slavery existed in the UK from well before Roman times.

Slavery was only abolished in England in 1833 and that too ONLY IN CERTAIN COUNTRIES! Apparently the British thought it alright to have slaves in some countries - the ones of course, they stole. Those exceptions were only eliminated in 1843 - though racism was very blatant and the people of the occupied countries were treated liker vermin.


Let us not forget the British Empire and the many countries it oppressed for centuries. Not to mention the people it treated like vermin - yes, even in THEIR own lands. The British of all people should not speak, considering what they did to the world for so long. Stealing lands not their own, segregating the people, making the native people secondary in their own countries, making slaves of the people, taking people from their own country and selling them as slaves in other countries...And not just in America!

America was in WW2 supplying the Allies even BEFORE officially joining the war. Truth is, without America the was would not have been by by any means. America did a LOAD of stuff in the war. Both America and Russia (the former second even to the latter) won the war; without these two countries, you would be sucking Nazi cock right now sweetheart.

You need to read a bit more on history, luv. I know it'll be an effort for your coddled brains but at least try.


Lenalee1 wrote:

Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.


Yes, mention an incident of racism against an American Muslim - this comment coming from you, a person from Europe where Muslims face a LOAD of racism and discrimination all the time and on a daily basis. Not to mention the racism that pretty much anyone who isn't of European ethnicity faces on a daily basis.

Throw some bananas in the lot, anyone?


So what if it's coming from me? I oppose of discrimination towards people at all cost. Also, saying that people of European ethnicity isn't facing any sorts of racism is a bit much. Polish people and Bosnians, to only mentions two, receive a ton of hate.

The bottom line is that people receive crap everywhere. It's not an isolated case.
43154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/12/15
Wow, where to even begin?

It's true that a flag is "just" a symbol--but symbols are important! What is language--or art--at its most basic, but collected symbolism? I posit that civilization stems from the adoption and use of symbolism.

As for Scooty-Bby's comment about the US showing up at the end of WW2, well, that's just plain erroneous. The US showed up for the last few months of WW1. We were present for fully 2/3 of WW2, which began in 1939 and ended (officially) in 1945--the US entered in 1941. (Mind you, Filipino and Chinese forces were still clearing Japanese troops from their respective countries in 1948, three years after the official Japanese surrender. That year, a 200-strong Japanese contingent surrendered on the Philippine island of Mindinao, while several thousand Japanese troops finally surrendered in Manchuria, China.)

Lastly, for those whose comments indicate that they believe the US to be a democracy, it is not. It is a republic--says so right in the Constitution. And they're two different animals. Kind of like horses and zebras, which look similar from a distance, but grow more distinct the closer you get. My personal belief is that most people who make this mistake do so because lower, more localized levels of government (municipal, for example) offer more opportunity for direct participation via democratic process. These people see democracy at work at that level of government with which they are most familiar, and assume that tendency carries upwards into rarefied Federal air. If only! A republic is by its very nature an oligarchy, not a democracy. But by draping their republic in the piecemeal guise of a democracy, the Founding Fathers managed to fool, then and now, the majority of their fellow citizens. If only folks had paid more attention in Civics! (Yes, it really used to be a required course, for all the good it seems to have done. . .)
27015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15


That's a bit ridiculous, don't you think? Typing something onto Google isn't a difficult thing to do.



Am I safe to assume this absurdity is directed towards me?
Just to put it out there, I don't hate America. I dislike certain aspects of the government and how people are treated, but I don't hate the country in itself.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/13/15
Faux news just looks to create outrage because it can't appeal to reason with it's mission statement intact. I do respect the sacrifices people have made as can be represented by the flag,however it is not a religious symbol representing a deity sanctioned nation either. Citizens should have the right to decide where they deem it appropriate to display that symbol in accordance with existing precedences and laws.
4398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Lenalee1 wrote:


teallerina wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Tyranical? Im sorry, who was it who had slaves again? Im sure they thought you were just wonderful.

And you think you saved us? You turned up at the END of WW2 simply so you could pick the side who was going to win, like the cowards you are...



Sorry darling, but the UK (ENGLANDLAND) is the country that had slavery before America, and introduced slavery TO America.

Slavery existed in the UK from well before Roman times.

Slavery was only abolished in England in 1833 and that too ONLY IN CERTAIN COUNTRIES! Apparently the British thought it alright to have slaves in some countries - the ones of course, they stole. Those exceptions were only eliminated in 1843 - though racism was very blatant and the people of the occupied countries were treated liker vermin.


Let us not forget the British Empire and the many countries it oppressed for centuries. Not to mention the people it treated like vermin - yes, even in THEIR own lands. The British of all people should not speak, considering what they did to the world for so long. Stealing lands not their own, segregating the people, making the native people secondary in their own countries, making slaves of the people, taking people from their own country and selling them as slaves in other countries...And not just in America!

America was in WW2 supplying the Allies even BEFORE officially joining the war. Truth is, without America the was would not have been by by any means. America did a LOAD of stuff in the war. Both America and Russia (the former second even to the latter) won the war; without these two countries, you would be sucking Nazi cock right now sweetheart.

You need to read a bit more on history, luv. I know it'll be an effort for your coddled brains but at least try.


Lenalee1 wrote:

Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.


Yes, mention an incident of racism against an American Muslim - this comment coming from you, a person from Europe where Muslims face a LOAD of racism and discrimination all the time and on a daily basis. Not to mention the racism that pretty much anyone who isn't of European ethnicity faces on a daily basis.

Throw some bananas in the lot, anyone?


So what if it's coming from me? I oppose of discrimination towards people at all cost. Also, saying that people of European ethnicity isn't facing any sorts of racism is a bit much. Polish people and Bosnians, to only mentions two, receive a ton of hate.

The bottom line is that people receive crap everywhere. It's not an isolated case.

So then why points fingers at America like we are the only ones? You point out racism and past slavery only for us like we should be particularly ashamed of it and they are reasons to hate America and it's flag.

We aren't pointing out shit your country did to blame you. We are doing it to show your history is no better than ours so there is no room to point fingers or blame. We all have our dark histories and bad people so lets let the past go and focus on making the world a better place not pointing fingers and pointing out only what other countries do.

16041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somehwere in the...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Lenalee1 wrote:


-mockingbird wrote:

after reading up on all this it just seems to be a misguided attempt by young people who didn't fully think through the ramifications of their decision.

someone put up a US flag in the student council building, then someone else took it down, then the flag got put up again and taken down again. this went back and forth until they asked the student council to mediate. they decided to ban all flags, but also included some unnecessary comments in their decision about what they think the flag symbolizes etc..they should have just kept it matter of fact and stated their thoughts about inclusion of everyone, no matter the nation, in the student council area and sticking with the no flag precedence that was in place previously; rather than making an ideological/political statement.

imo, i'm ok with there being no flag inside that building because it wasn't previously there. however, since the school is funded by the federal gov then it's ultimately the school boards decision if a flag should or shouldn't be in there.



Lenalee1 wrote:


Oh, really? So an American-muslim wasn't attacked for wearing a hijab with the American flag on it? How is it that Americans oppose of that, but not when the pattern is on a bikini? Your solidarity is almost laughable.


do you have a source for this?


It happened ages ago, but feel free to Google it.



googled this, forgot it surfaced for a few days then died.

Do us a favor, don't lump all Americans together. Some people are racist, some people are extremely patriotic.

When college students hear speeches of other political groups about how they're trying to make a change, they too join the bandwagon and try and make a change. Whether or not it seems stupid to some people here in the US or even in different countries, to these kids they believe they are making a difference. I personally believe they have a right to try, but it is hard when it comes to a nation's symbol.
4398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Lenalee1 wrote:

Am I safe to assume this absurdity is directed towards me?
Just to put it out there, I don't hate America. I dislike certain aspects of the government and how people are treated, but I don't hate the country in itself.


If that is so then no it's not directed towards you. But you are making it seem that way with all the "america did this and that" like you are blaming them for everything and doing so in a thread about banning the flag makes it seem like you are saying it should be banned because of those things.

So I'm just letting you know regardless of how you feel this is the message you are sending to people.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.