First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply US Flag Ban....in the US?!
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Ssomething wrote:


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


Ssomething wrote:

It's disrespectful and if they don't like the American flag then they don't like America.

If someone doesn't like America they should go to another country and never come back. As for those who are not americans and hate this country because of its negative side (no country is perfect) then they should never come here, please.



You clearly don't know how immigration work... It's not as easy as just moving to another country, you need to immigrate to the country and get their allowance to live there... Unless you stay there illegally, in witch case you're just stupid...


No one said it was easy, I said that if someone doesn't like America they should go. Whether is hard or not I don't care.



Wanting to move just because you don't like a country isn't going to be approved by any government in any country... It's possible to immigrate to another country if you're in a relationship with someone in another country or it your life is in danger in the country you already live in........ But it's close to impossible to immigrate into another country even with these two factors!
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

teallerina wrote:


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

Sweden doesn't have any worst children then anywhere else in the world... Where have you heard that? Stop believing in stereotypes


Members of my family who live there and have married with Swedes. So no, it is not a stereotype, especially as it has been commented on by people who have been there as well many a time.


It's just like any other country, depends on where you are.

If you're in a city like Stockholm, then yes people are assholes there... But if you're in another city like Södertälje or in the country then that won't happen!
27621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / Tyrell HQ
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
Well to be fair they removed ALL the flags from this hall or whatever, not just the american flag, but it does sound like stupid hipster fucks desperately seeking attention and trying really hard to do something progressive.

The irony is great though, take down the flag that is a symbol of equality for all and freedom for all.

That's the great thing about america though. You have the freedom to do something like this if that's what you want.

I love America~
27824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
How did the damn European foreigners get into this argument? This has nothing to do with you so stay out of it. I believe banning the US Flag or any flag in that fact should be a criminal offense. The flag represents the land and sacrifices made for the land. Removing the flag is removing the sacrifice Americans made to give this country peace and freedom.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

onibrotonel wrote:

This is like the similar case I presented on my thread Clipboards in Public.

Just because you can garner enough votes / signatures, it doesn't mean the action you want to implement is the right thing.

In this case, these students are just exercising their so called "community awareness/involvement" and/or "intelligence" because they're in college.
It's just another way to build up some hype on their resumes. "Oh, I did something ground shaking. Seen the media involvement? Twitter?"
Bitch, please.

Oh, you want to participate in an Alternative Break where you go to a third-world country and build a small school in some village? Really? You care that much? You say you'll be away for a week. What? One day of carrying bricks and the rest of the week is going sight-seeing and touring. Do you even know if the land you're trying to erect a school is legal property? How about electricity to maintain it? How about the authorities? Do they acknowledge the idea of building a school? Nah, man. You're just joining the Alternative Break for your own interest. To boost up your resume. Why go outside the country, for starters?

Does anyone even care what SGA does? No. Most students would rather go home and study.



Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15


You make it sound like it is almost impossible, where there's a will there's a way! what I hate the most is the people who "hate" this country and yet they enjoy living here, using our resources and freedom to do what they want. Hypocrisy.

If other people can leave their countries to come here or anywhere else, then americans can do the same or are they that stupid or lazy to do it? don't tell me now that every immigrant from Asia, Middle east, South America and even Europe came to America just because they were in danger or married to an american, there are many reasons why they are here and legal ways to come here. So, don't like this country? get out or try to make it better or just stfu.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
So unless I'm missing something here, a proposed general ban on flags in a student government office at a single university was enough to provoke national attention because that ban would have included the US flag, and particularly because the rationale behind its inclusion is that while it is a symbol of freedom and national unity it can also be divisive given its nationalist overtones. The measure has been vetoed and it appears unlikely supporters will find themselves to be able to overturn said veto, especially given that some among those who voted in favor of the proposal have withdrawn their support. Meanwhile, low concentration of interest and support among the student body (which is apparently more interested in tuition hikes and budget cuts) and nonexistent support among university officials indicates that this thing isn't going anywhere.

You'd think that given such conditions this thing would be over, but apparently a meeting to attempt to overturn that veto had to be cancelled due to what school officials are nondescriptly referring to as "credible threats of violence". Evidently personal threats have been made against the people who voted in favor of the measure and the student who proposed it, and their names and faces have apparently been posted on social media sites. In other words, the opposition needs to get its more radical elements under control.

This is a tempest in a teacup which is boiling up to dangerous levels. I'd advise an immediate cool down.

Edit: Touch ups on some sentences for legibility's sake. No change in substance or tone has been made.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


Scooty-Bby wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/why-do-you-live-usa-uc-irvine-american-flag-ban-controversy-continues

Students of UCI argue that removal of the flag makes the area "more inclusive" or something like that. Everyone else is outraged. I personally believe the flag should fly as a constant reminder of the nation's struggles and achievements.

I've been to UCI. In fact, I was accepted to UCI and often visited my first GF when she went to school there. I ended up going to a different UC but this school is a great one. People there are not dumb. Students that are accepted there are usually really bright. The Irvine area is one of the safest and most convenient in the US. What happened? Have the students been so sheltered they have lost sight of reality? Have they overthought and overlooked?

What do you guys think of this?


So what? Its just a flag!

I hate it when Americans say its 'Patriotic' and shit like that. The country was founded by traitors and turncoats, thats the most un-patriotic thing you could do!!


Every nation was founded through conquest. At what point do you think national pride becomes unacceptable?


Theres nothing wrong with having national pride. What I dont understand is why Americans care so much about the flag? Am I right in thinking its still illegal to burn it? At the end of the day it is JUST a bit of cloth. The students had the right idea about taking it down. NOT because they hate their country, but because they understand that there are just as many foreigners/immigrants living there and going to the schools as there are born and bred Americans.


This really isn't an American thing, pretty much every country is like this, and it should be that way too. The flag doesn't just represent government, there are a lot of amazing people that break their backs everyday working regular jobs that help make this country what it is. There are a lot of amazing people that are gone now because they cared for the people in this land and fought for a better future for them. People wouldn't care if disrespecting the flag meant disrespecting the U.S. government, but it really is disrespectful to a lot of people who have made a lot of brave sacrifices. That's why it is a big deal.
14054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/13/15
Don't ban Monarchism in Britain.
Don't ban Americanism in America.
And don't ban Glorious Motherlands in Russia.

c:
6377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
God you don't even know your own history do you? That is rich, lets start with the fact that you where one of the biggest slave traders in the world, you raped and murdered Scottish and Irish women and children and essentially enslaved them as well as.
http://listverse.com/2014/02/04/10-evil-crimes-of-the-british-empire/
http://www.quora.com/What-historic-atrocities-has-England-committed-against-Scotland-Ireland-and-Wales
http://www.history.ac.uk/ihr/Focus/Slavery/articles/sherwood.html

considering everything England has ever done and the king's greed at the time of our Independence you have no moral ground to stand one.
You and the rest of the free world would have lost had we not entered both of the wars

face it you have yet to even begin to right the wrongs your country has committed.

or how about the 1,400 children sexually exploited? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28939089
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
Hey, if the flag is there, what's the harm??
3431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / A pastel land
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
I don't believe flags should be taken away or anything like that, however I have always found patrioism quite idiotic in the sense it encourages racism, I'm not saying all patriots are racist, but rather I believe it leads to an unacceptable amount of racism.

I'm sure there are very few wrestling fans here, but a small example would be, in the WWE (which I have given up on as it is too child based as of late imo) they will have two non americans wrestle & all you will hear from the crowd are USA chants and lots of small things like that.
10609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 3/11/15
that's (the flag ban) is the most insanely idiotic thing i've read. it's almost as it's been proposed by ignorant young stud- oh.
50278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Phatuum Thani, Th...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
I think it's kind of dumb to ban any country's flag in it's home country.
You don't have to like the politics, you don't have to like the people, but at least a little respect is warranted?
But this is just my opinion.
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

DarkFrostX wrote:



that anecdote doesn't really apply to the situation or me.

am proud of where am living and love where am living, i just don't feel the need to put flags everywhere... they belong in the olympics...

not liking a flag being displayed does not mean not liking the country. that's why i said i don't feel attached to a flag. just my personal feeling...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.