First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply earth is less than 10,000 years old.
14562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
It has been proven multiple times that the earth is over 4 billion years old, has been proven by rocks, trees, cliff formations, etc etc. The problem with most americans is most either go by religion what is said in the bible or hear say what their friends told them, im not saying ALL americans there are a lot still out there who believe the earth is 4 billion years old. I am a man of science and believe everything can be explained by science or in a scientific kind of way. I dont believe in what the bible says in my opinion is just a book that has been through generations of hands and has been written in their views to tell a story.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

harutoharuta wrote:

Hey, just be happy there hasn't been a percentage made for the people who think the world is 2015 years old.



lol i wanna see that percentage
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
Some people are just so idiotic about this stuff. Even when I was catholic I wasn't delusional enough to believe the young earth theory. My entire family(who were all catholic) were all very adamant about how stupid the young earth theory is.
22023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15

narutosonic330 wrote:

I don't believe the Earth is 3 billion years old. In fact, I think it is less than 15,000 years. Throw me all the dinosaur fossils and radiocarbon dating all you want, I'm still not convinced. I don't think it's such a big deal though, but if you wanna call me an idiot, go for it.


I won't use any of those you calculate this based on the amount of lead found in a zircon crystal one of the hardest minerals around. You see lead is the state that uranium reaches when it is finished decaying it decays at a constant rate as well. So you calculate it off the oldest things on earth zircons and lead found in them now you can make the claim it is skewed all you like but the age is closer to 4.5 billion years old. Now the other problem with your argument is the speed of light which is constant how do you explain the fact we can see light that is further away than that we wouldn't be able to if the world was only 15,000 years old.

So how do we see light that is older than 15,000 years old? Careful how you answer that one.

uranium lead dating

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium-lead_dating
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

serifsansserif wrote:

In my 8th grade science class, we were taught the world is 4.54 billion years old based on the age of rocks. HOWEVER, she also made an interesting point: how do we know that it's not older and the rocks have cycled through the cycle of plate tectonics, being pushed underneath, melting, and reforming?

It was just a little musing to her, but it's a valid point..


We use uranium lead dating and use zircons which are nearly as hard as diamonds the science behind it is pretty darn spiffy.
10328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/21/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

You don't understand.....

Some people think the planet is 2015 years old because it is the year 2015. These people somehow have stable careers and are able to support their families.

Some people think they should not vaccinate their kids because a doctor said vaccines cause autism. And when you tell them the doctor admitted there was no proof and the CDC overwhelmingly supports vaccination, THEN THEY QUESTION YOUR SOURCES. And, once you give them sources, they still refuse to believe. These people are actually aspiring to get into medical fields.

I can't even make this s*** up if I wanted to. I, too, am continually astounded by how silly some people can be. I'm optimistic that someone will always be sillier than you can even imagine.


I was hoping someone would explain it, and you did it way better than I could haha. I too, feel optimistic in witnessing others' silly behavior, although, this is coming from a guy who was talking about rectangles, but made a triangle shape with his fingers.


Sogno- wrote:

lol i wanna see that percentage


Hopefully the laughter is worth the disappointment haha.

48515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

megahobbit wrote:

Some people are just so idiotic about this stuff. Even when I was catholic I wasn't delusional enough to believe the young earth theory. My entire family(who were all catholic) were all very adamant about how stupid the young earth theory is.


The Church doesn't teach the young earth theory or the other junk science promoted by American Protestants.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

HuastecoOtaku wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Some people are just so idiotic about this stuff. Even when I was catholic I wasn't delusional enough to believe the young earth theory. My entire family(who were all catholic) were all very adamant about how stupid the young earth theory is.


The Church doesn't teach the young earth theory or the other junk science promoted by American Protestants.


I know I grew up going to catholic school. But I have encountered some people who believe such stupid facts.
210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
Damn. I know for a fact that the Earth is old as sh*t (I'm still new so I dunno if there's a word filter) because the evidence is all there. I've seen my fair share of the Discovery Channel and did enough Geography homework to know this.

Yet there are people out there who deny the facts and have stable and even successful careers? My question is: HOW?!! I've been submitting applications everywhere and not a single place so much as gives me the time of day. No calls, no interviews, nothing. So that makes me feel the need to make another topic regarding how employment has become.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15

Black_Knight_Weiss wrote:

Damn. I know for a fact that the Earth is old as sh*t (I'm still new so I dunno if there's a word filter) because the evidence is all there. I've seen my fair share of the Discovery Channel and did enough Geography homework to know this.

Yet there are people out there who deny the facts and have stable and even successful careers? My question is: HOW?!! I've been submitting applications everywhere and not a single place so much as gives me the time of day. No calls, no interviews, nothing. So that makes me feel the need to make another topic regarding how employment has become.


I give you the Flat Earth Society yes they believe the earth is flat. Despite all the evidence proving otherwise.

http://www.tfes.org/
17457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/12/15
Troll bate is strong in this thread
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15 , edited 3/11/15
I am getting tired of the spam and off topic bullshit. Stay on topic or I will start reporting you! This is your only warning.

You don't like me fine, stay out of my threads, but I will no longer put up with kids trolling my threads with their stupid pics and pointless off topic remarks.


"on topic." The 18% came from the 2009 survey... I been looking for newer information and what I have found is 2014 four in 10 Americans believe God created the Earth and anatomically modern humans, less than 10,000 years ago, according to a new Gallup poll.

About half of Americans believe humans evolved over millions of years, with most of those people saying that God guided the process. Religious, less educated, and older respondents were likelier to espouse a young Earth creationist view — that life was created some 6,000 to 10,000 years ago — according to the poll.

Though the percentage of people who believe in creationism has changed little over the decades, the percentage of people who believe humans evolved without God has more than doubled, and the percentage who believe in God-guided evolution has decreased.
50278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Phatuum Thani, Th...
Offline
Posted 3/11/15
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
-Neil deGrasse Tyson
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/12/15
I have no problem with people who are religious, thats your own business. HOWEVER saying the Earth is that young because its when God made it or something like that, just means your in denial about the evidence that is found...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.