First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply How can we help forum trolls?
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 3/14/15 , edited 3/14/15
Sometimes people start theads just to get others upset or angry at them and subsequently lure others into heated debates (almost always about religion).

What makes them that way? More importantly, how can they be helped? (I do think they need help.)
Posted 3/14/15
Why do they need help? Hobbies are hobbies. No hobby is superior to another, individuals put their own values into them. If they're having fun, let them be.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 3/14/15

forkberry wrote:

Why do they need help? Hobbies are hobbies. No hobby is superior to another, individuals put their own values into them. If they're having fun, let them be.


To me, having fun at the expense of others is a form of evil, because the lack of regard for others.
Posted 3/14/15
This is one of the major problems with online communities these days. This is also why i quit doing online gaming for the most part.

The problem lies within the community, people love to debate certain topics for whatever their own reasons are. If we're to stop them w/out mod intervention on locks or whatnot then we need to not discuss those things in the open. Make a group for it and set up mods and let them duke it out in the group area instead of the general area.

For some reason most forums, at least ones i've been on tend to allow people to spam certain heated topic threads with no cares in the world about it. Yet i see other threads that have the potential to get heated get locked right away but are outside of the normal i guess you could say big 3.

If we're to stop trolls, then we need to not feed them by responding to their posts. Don't derail it, don't add to it, just ignore it flat out. Trolls feed on attention. Sadly though people just can't resist wanting to debate it, either due to their own views or they just love to discuss or debate it. So the attention continues on and they keep going.

CR could easily just say no politics, religion or whatever the 3rd big one is in general and leave it at that or have a mute thread option.
Posted 3/14/15 , edited 3/16/15

nanikore2 wrote:

To me, having fun at the expense of others is a form of evil, because the lack of regard for others.


Good point. Down with the trolls.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 3/14/15 , edited 3/14/15

KyotoTofu wrote:

The problem lies within the community, people love to debate certain topics for whatever their own reasons are. If we're to stop them w/out mod intervention on locks or whatnot then we need to not discuss those things in the open. Make a group for it and set up mods and let them duke it out in the group area instead of the general area.


It had been cordoned off in the past. However, I really doubt the universality of the enjoyment. It seems to me that certain people are hooked into the de-baiting action to which they engaged out of an automated response to the taunting. They did not seem to be enjoying- only reacting to the mental anguish by striking back.


forkberry wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

To me, having fun at the expense of others is a form of evil, because the lack of regard for others.


Good point. Down with the trolls.


How do we help them.
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 3/14/15
Not to be totally caustic or terse but the problem to me, is like, "stop making stupid people famous."
If you do not contribute then they get board and go away.

Whether or not that idea would work remains to be seen.

Some people are going to want to use a place like this for their outlet of ideas.... good or bad. We can react with tolerance and reason, vehemence and indignation or apathy.

We could also complain to the management.

I'm not too sure befriending some of these people would be useful or even possible. Generally I like to think that everyone needs a friend but some people just have it in their heads that everyone else is "the enemy," or stupid.... (If you think every one is stupid, they will come around to thinking and treating you the same way.)
It is hard to help people if they think they need no help, just ask any reforming addict. That might be the thing, some of these people could be considered addicts, it is just that their addiction is attention or even confrontation. Many of my aunts like to pick fights with people. They are even depressed and out of sorts if they don't get into an argument at least two or three times a week... I don't' know what different types of personality disorders that covers but I'm sure there are at least a few.

Just something to consider.
Posted 3/14/15
OP, have a nice lemon drizzle cupcake with tea and think of ways to make your threads more interesting. You might just be jealous.
Posted 3/14/15
get them a 3D gf/bf.

happy people are less likely to troll or need attention by bringing negativity energy. most people are miserable because they're lonely and loveless; get them a 3D gf to help them be happy.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 3/14/15

severticas wrote:

OP, have a nice lemon drizzle cupcake with tea and think of ways to make your threads more interesting. You might just be jealous.


Or I just want to help them. How?
Posted 3/14/15

nanikore2 wrote:

How do we help them.


We need a boss figure. A mastermind that the trolls fear yet respect at the same time. The boss figure warns the trolls who go overboard, and occasionally humiliates them in front of the masses if they retaliate. In desperation of gaining his/her respect, the trolls will stay on their leash.

Another option is to limit the damage to one single victim. This punching bag shall absorb all the fire thrown by the trolls and steer away the attention from everyone to him/herself. Ideally someone who does not know when to give up, and has all the time in the world to respond to the trolls. A shining superstar.
Posted 3/14/15
Nothing can really be done other than don't feed them or ignore them. Like i said the situation needs to be where they can't get their enjoyment anymore and will get bored and move on. Basically make it so you can't discuss the 3 major topics that almost always result in a heated debate. If you want to talk about the things that we know are going to end up getting heated either take it offsite or into a group that can be privately moderated or give them a sub thread type of area to talk about that stuff all they want.
Posted 3/14/15

nanikore2 wrote:


severticas wrote:

OP, have a nice lemon drizzle cupcake with tea and think of ways to make your threads more interesting. You might just be jealous.


Or I just want to help them. How?


Sounds like you want to troll the trolls.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 3/14/15
The thread where it says, "I know more about Love than you do since I have a wife" is really asking to get a response.

Or a thread where it says, "my kind is still a minority and every thing we get interested with is always cool" makes me want to check it twice.

The best troll and used to be a forum mod was mushroomjay. Period.
Posted 3/14/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

get them a 3D gf/bf.

happy people are less likely to troll or need attention by bringing negativity energy. most people are miserable because they're lonely and loveless; get them a 3D gf to help them be happy.


Thats not always the case i find. I know of people that have perfectly good relationships that troll. I know because I've been friends with their g/fs, usually since its a guy doing the trolling. Some people get a kick out of being an ass. Take online gaming for instance.

FPS games people will try and shoot their own teammates just for the hell of it, they find it fun to be an ass.

People who PVP on RPGs they get a kick out killing you over n over and will find ways to cheat the system so they can keep doing it and not have you get a chance to fight back.

Minecraft people will come in and just try to wreck your stuff because well they find it fun.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.