First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public?
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 3/16/15

BlueOni wrote:


piratequeen369 wrote:

having sex is another part of life, should we do that in public? I have a vagina, should I walk around with no trousers or pants on because it's natural;nope. Personally, I don't care but if a person has a problem with it, they are not being irrational, what is wrong with people these days?


The nudity taboo isn't (as far as I'm concerned) a solid reason for people to not walk about in public without clothes on. Sanitation concerns, meanwhile, are an excellent reason for disallowing that.


When you really think about it, no, it isn't but you cannot ignore societal normalities, they have been drummed into mine, yours and everyone else's heads; if a naked man was walking towards you on the street, would you not feel somewhat uncomfortable? You probably would even though, his body is 'natural,' it's still strange for that to happen. Even, if you were to get used to the sight of this man, others might not and might still be suffering from the same discomfort you first felt, is it fair to those people for that man to walk around with no clothes? No, it is not.
4458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
n/a
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/18/15
NO because people are obviously not mature enough to the sight of breast no matter what the reason is. I personally think new mother/parents in the stage of breast feeding should just stay home till it's easier for them to go about. I think new mothers/parents with small kids in general think they are above society, as if they graduated to a new level because they have a kid; ever notice THAT parent on the plane or THAT parent in the restaurant?, I hate how they get people involved in their crying baby shit.

bottom line: the baby is YOURS it's YOUR problem not society's.. if you go out and people are offended by your breast feeding, it's your duty to leave and go else where, people should not have to "pretend to like what you're doing"
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/16/15

serifsansserif wrote:

Sanitation? Because breast milk isn't a bodily secretion? Or that baby vomit from when you burp them isn't a sanitation concern?


Although breast milk has been found to be a medium through which infectious diseases (not the least of which is HIV/AIDS) may be transmitted, the risk from a single exposure is small. It's not even listed as a substance healthcare professionals should use special handling procedures for, though those frequently exposed to breast milk should wear gloves.

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/faq/

Meanwhile, there are genuine benefits for an infant's health when breastfed. The same cannot be said of feces in either case, and that's but one thing a nude person will likely be leaving behind when they sit on a public seat. That's not to say mothers shouldn't be expected to clean their babies' vomit and any leftover breast milk, but we're talking about two very different things here.


I stand by the cultural reasons. culture is what divides us from the poo slinging chimps at the zoo. You can argue science, you can argue sanitation, but without culture they never would have come about, and they certainly wouldn't be enforced without cultural taboos and rationales that dictate that sanitation is a valued part of life.


Criticism of a specific taboo is not criticism of the very concept of taboos, nor is it a criticism of cultural institutions in general. Do you need a moment? You're unduly upset.

Edit: Here, we go.


My argument in general, from a cultural point of view is that breastfeeding in public is a deconstruction of the border between the public and personal realm which find incredibly displeasing and reinforcing an emphasis that causing others distress makes the person causing said distress by ignoring boundaries is a victim, rather than the one trespassing on said boundaries. It states that you can put all your personal business out for the world to see, and any consequences or negative feedback for doing so refocuses the guilt towards the populace rather than the self. This is not only with breastfeeding but endemic with a whole variety of little cases and points of society not being "tolerant" enough, which, as a whole are slowly eroding the concepts upon which society needs to function and for many people in a small area to function as a whole. Is breastfeeding in public alone doing that? again, I say no, it's just a symptom of a larger problem.


I'd take such things on a case by case basis, in this case siding against the institution in question. I stand with the nudity taboo given public health concerns, but since it seems the relative threat to public health posed by breast milk is so much lower I find it acceptable to stand against said taboo as far as breastfeeding is concerned.


piratequeen369 wrote:

When you really think about it, no, it isn't but you cannot ignore societal normalities, they have been drummed into mine, yours and everyone else's heads; if a naked man was walking towards you on the street, would you not feel somewhat uncomfortable? You probably would even though, his body is 'natural,' it's still strange for that to happen. Even, if you were to get used to the sight of this man, others might not and might still be suffering from the same discomfort you first felt, is it fair to those people for that man to walk around with no clothes? No, it is not.


As a matter of courtesy within societies where the nudity taboo is strong it makes some sense to go along with it. Furthermore, I'm far from advocating for nudism. In truth, clothing is a very practical thing and should be worn by everyone if possible. It protects against the spread of diseases, it protects us against the environment, clothing is a significant net positive to society even if every bit of protection from personal embarrassment (be it for the viewer and/or the viewed) is removed from the equation. My point is that the taboo isn't why we ought to encourage people to wear clothing, but rather those other things. Also, people should probably cover themselves with a blanket as a courtesy, but I see no problem with public breastfeeding itself even if the nudity taboo is ignored.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/18/15

BlueOni wrote:

Meanwhile, there are genuine benefits for an infant's health when breastfed. The same cannot be said of feces in either case, and that's but one thing a nude person will likely be leaving behind when they sit on a public seat. That's not to say mothers shouldn't be expected to clean their babies' vomit and any leftover breast milk, but we're talking about two very different things here.



Criticism of a specific taboo is not criticism of the very concept of taboos, nor is it a criticism of cultural institutions in general. Do you need a moment? You're unduly upset.


I'd take such things on a case by case basis, in this case siding against the institution in question. I stand with the nudity taboo given public health concerns, but since it seems the relative threat to public health posed by breast milk is so much lower I find it acceptable to stand against said taboo as far as breastfeeding is concerned.

I'm not unduly upset.

Whether breastfed in private or in public, the benefits I assume will remain the same, so requesting that it be done in private is of no harm either. That's an irrelevant argument to the need to breastfeed PUBLICLY.

Also, you may have a point with feces, but urine I'd bet on being a different story. Typically fresh pee is pretty damned bacteria free, unless you have a urinary tract infection. And, if your pet dog can urinate inn the streets and in the parks without a problem..... (again, fecal matter, I'll give you)

Case by case, fine. Breastfeeding isn't the worst of them either. I'm actually more upset that people think it's fine to go out to some establishments with their kids in general that aren't suited to them (the children),A fine dining restaurant is not acceptable for a baby. a movie theater is not the place for a screaming infant. This is where the crux of it lies for me. Again, the breastfeeding in general is not the problem. Nor do I believe that it has to do with exposure causing men to act in an uncontrolled animalistic way. (honestly, I wish men would not feel the need to go shirtless either...) It's propriety and it's something quickly disappearing from the world today.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/16/15

serifsansserif wrote:

I'm not unduly upset.


I suppose "duly" is in the eye of the beholder.


Whether breastfed in private or in public, the benefits I assume will remain the same, so requesting that it be done in private is of no harm either. That's an irrelevant argument to the need to breastfeed PUBLICLY.


I was actually going for a "benefits outweigh the risks" thing, there. Promoting breastfeeding would be easier to do if women weren't expected to avoid doing so in public, though in truth a good deal of women would be uncomfortable doing so in public. I'd be among those using a cover if it were me, but I wouldn't begrudge a woman not doing so. I suppose I can see an argument that her doing so is a discourtesy, and it's not as if being asked to use a cover is some horribly imbalanced compromise in exchange for being able to breastfeed publicly. It seems fair.


Also, you may have a point with feces, but urine I'd bet on being a different story. Typically fresh pee is pretty damned bacteria free, unless you have a urinary tract infection. And, if your pet dog can urinate inn the streets and in the parks without a problem..... (again, fecal matter, I'll give you)


Yes, you're right. It's best to be careful, but comparatively speaking feces is the far bigger threat.


Case by case, fine. Breastfeeding isn't the worst of them either. I'm actually more upset that people think it's fine to go out to some establishments with their kids in general that aren't suited to them (the children),A fine dining restaurant is not acceptable for a baby. a movie theater is not the place for a screaming infant. This is where the crux of it lies for me. Again, the breastfeeding in general is not the problem. Nor do I believe that it has to do with exposure causing men to act in an uncontrolled animalistic way. (honestly, I wish men would not feel the need to go shirtless either...) It's propriety and it's something quickly disappearing from the world today.


I think I understand. It's a matter of courtesy, and as I said before: using a cover is not a terribly imposing burden to bear in exchange for the convenience gained by being able to breastfeed in public locations.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/16/15
Well, ultimately I don't think it matters. A child needs to feed, and a mother needs to feed her child. If you view it that way, it's pretty damn beautiful. Why should we scorn the act of a mother caring for her offspring? Such an act should be encourage.

Gawkers should be punished. It's embarassing, y'know? If you stare so intently....

At my nipples.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/16/15
*Open Shirt shows my nipples and the whole chest* "I could breast feed now and I am a male! " *no worries here*

Edit: why this?.. and like in some contries that can't even stand this things GTFO into reality :/ why ban something something that could mean life and death damn if it was not allowed and she tried to breast feed the child and was living on the street (for now, few days) and only could see the child starve then this ban would be murder? (or something like that)
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 3/16/15


sorry an example just to get a answer if right or wrong and what to do (could pick something else then a bar)
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/18/15

Freddy96NO wrote:

*Open Shirt shows my nipples and the whole chest* "I could breast feed now and I am a male! " *no worries here*

Edit: why this?.. and like in some contries that can't even stand this things GTFO into reality :/ why ban something something that could mean life and death damn if it was not allowed and she tried to breast feed the child and was living on the street (for now, few days) and only could see the child starve then this ban would be murder? (or something like that)


No child is going to die or be permanently damaged by the five minutes without that it takes to excuse yourself and go somewhere privately or deal with the situation in a courteous fashion.

Please don't make it out to seem as though everyone around you wants to watch your "miracle" happen or even gives two shits about your screaming child. (because a lot odf people view it as just that. a screaming child they want silenced).

And to BlueOni, sure, covering up is fine as an alternative.

If I use my own TP, poop bags, and moist towellettes, can I defecate in public? (a joke..)
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/18/15


serifsansserif wrote:


BlueOni wrote:

Meanwhile, there are genuine benefits for an infant's health when breastfed. The same cannot be said of feces in either case, and that's but one thing a nude person will likely be leaving behind when they sit on a public seat. That's not to say mothers shouldn't be expected to clean their babies' vomit and any leftover breast milk, but we're talking about two very different things here.



Criticism of a specific taboo is not criticism of the very concept of taboos, nor is it a criticism of cultural institutions in general. Do you need a moment? You're unduly upset.


I'd take such things on a case by case basis, in this case siding against the institution in question. I stand with the nudity taboo given public health concerns, but since it seems the relative threat to public health posed by breast milk is so much lower I find it acceptable to stand against said taboo as far as breastfeeding is concerned.


I'm not unduly upset.

Whether breastfed in private or in public, the benefits I assume will remain the same, so requesting that it be done in private is of no harm either. That's an irrelevant argument to the need to breastfeed PUBLICLY.

Also, you may have a point with feces, but urine I'd bet on being a different story. Typically fresh pee is pretty damned bacteria free, unless you have a urinary tract infection. And, if your pet dog can urinate inn the streets and in the parks without a problem..... (again, fecal matter, I'll give you)

Case by case, fine. Breastfeeding isn't the worst of them either. I'm actually more upset that people think it's fine to go out to some establishments with their kids in general that aren't suited to them (the children),A fine dining restaurant is not acceptable for a baby. a movie theater is not the place for a screaming infant. This is where the crux of it lies for me. Again, the breastfeeding in general is not the problem. Nor do I believe that it has to do with exposure causing men to act in an uncontrolled animalistic way. (honestly, I wish men would not feel the need to go shirtless either...) It's propriety and it's something quickly disappearing from the world today.


You're mixing physiology with sociology.

Look at it this way. I am an infant, I need to eat.

Or, I am a mother, I need to feed my infant.

Now, this is suspending disbelief, because I am an adult male and I don't need to eat every time I'm hungry, nor can I feed an infant via breastmilk. Most adult women couldn't breastfeed an infant even if there was dire need.

That is why the Grapes of Wrath has such an incredible ending.

It is a special relationship that we can't wax wise upon, even if it makes you or me uncomfortable to see a woman lower the top of her blouse to expose a nipple in order to feed a baby.

It's not sexy, erections in response are misguided. That is for us to figure out, the mothers and infants already know what they're doing, I think men get erections for almost no reason all the time.

Children cry, just like men get erections. There are only a couple appropriate places for it, but I wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere if there was a "no boners" sign at the door. Is it anybody's fault when it happens for no reason? Guys, you know what I'm talking about here.


9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/18/15

morechunch wrote:

You're mixing physiology with sociology.

Look at it this way. I am an infant, I need to eat.

Or, I am a mother, I need to feed my infant.

Now, this is suspending disbelief, because I am an adult male and I don't need to eat every time I'm hungry, nor can I feed an infant via breastmilk. Most adult women couldn't breastfeed an infant even if there was dire need.

That is why the Grapes of Wrath has such an incredible ending.

It is a special relationship that we can't wax wise upon, even if it makes you or me uncomfortable to see a woman lower the top of her blouse to expose a nipple in order to feed a baby.

It's not sexy, erections in response are misguided. That is for us to figure out, the mothers and infants already know what they're doing, I think men get erections for almost no reason all the time.

Children cry, just like men get erections. There are only a couple appropriate places for it, but I wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere if there was a "no boners" sign at the door. Is it anybody's fault when it happens for no reason? Guys, you know what I'm talking about here.




I'm hoping that it's not an argument for why I should or should not be able to furiously masturbate in public... O.o

As a child, my parents used to get a babysitter for me when they went somewhere inappropriate for children to be. Hell, there were times where they would have one of my uncles or grandparents watch me while they went into a store because it either contained delicate (read breakable and expensive) things. (hence the argument that as a parent, you should exercise judgement on where is an appropriate place to have your children)

I was bottle fed. But I can also say that if there wasn't a bottle available, they had no problem going back to the car or what have you, and getting another. There was no need for the immediacy of just whipping out a nipple there (and again, I've already conceded covering is fine. This is about the argument that it's life or death and must be handled in the immediacy).

The argument about "breastfeeding in public" isn't really about breastfeeding. It's about the public part and what's appropriate for public.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/16/15

serifsansserif wrote:

And to BlueOni, sure, covering up is fine as an alternative.


It is done, then.


If I use my own TP, poop bags, and moist towellettes, can I defecate in public? (a joke..)


I suppose you could, though people would look at you with such shock at the strangeness of the whole affair that you'd probably raise at the very least local level news media attention. After all, such a spectacle isn't an everyday occurrence.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/15

serifsansserif wrote:


morechunch wrote:

You're mixing physiology with sociology.

Look at it this way. I am an infant, I need to eat.

Or, I am a mother, I need to feed my infant.

Now, this is suspending disbelief, because I am an adult male and I don't need to eat every time I'm hungry, nor can I feed an infant via breastmilk. Most adult women couldn't breastfeed an infant even if there was dire need.

That is why the Grapes of Wrath has such an incredible ending.

It is a special relationship that we can't wax wise upon, even if it makes you or me uncomfortable to see a woman lower the top of her blouse to expose a nipple in order to feed a baby.

It's not sexy, erections in response are misguided. That is for us to figure out, the mothers and infants already know what they're doing, I think men get erections for almost no reason all the time.

Children cry, just like men get erections. There are only a couple appropriate places for it, but I wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere if there was a "no boners" sign at the door. Is it anybody's fault when it happens for no reason? Guys, you know what I'm talking about here.




I'm hoping that it's not an argument for why I should or should not be able to furiously masturbate in public... O.o

As a child, my parents used to get a babysitter for me when they went somewhere inappropriate for children to be. Hell, there were times where they would have one of my uncles or grandparents watch me while they went into a store because it either contained delicate (read breakable and expensive) things. (hence the argument that as a parent, you should exercise judgement on where is an appropriate place to have your children)

I was bottle fed. But I can also say that if there wasn't a bottle available, they had no problem going back to the car or what have you, and getting another. There was no need for the immediacy of just whipping out a nipple there (and again, I've already conceded covering is fine. This is about the argument that it's life or death and must be handled in the immediacy).

The argument about "breastfeeding in public" isn't really about breastfeeding. It's about the public part and what's appropriate for public.


Masturbating in public? Of course not, I am not Diogenes.

Bottle feeding is your argument here, which is entirely different from boners and masturbation.

An infant that cries for nourishment is a baby, I covered that by saying I don't need to eat every time I'm hungry,

But an infant does, and I will stand in support of feeding by any method, because I can only provide a bottle if I have a bottle and formula.
Posted 3/16/15 , edited 3/16/15
I don't care, but other people might. Oh, well, that's society for you.
51203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/15
I'm not saying it's wrong, just awkward. Imagine two people kissing. When it's just a short mouth to mouth kiss, it's perfectly normal and almost no one would be weirded out. If the two people started French kissing and touching every part of each other's bodies while moaning seductively, it'd be pretty weird for anyone walking by. I imagine breast feeding in public would be similar. Besides, I'd be weirded out if some woman had her breasts hanging out in the cold winter air with a baby drinking from her nipples.

How comfortable is it to breast feed in public anyway? Would you need to find a place to sit, pull open your shirt, or anything else like that? It'd sound more comfortable to just do that in your home and bring a bottle of milk with you in public.

I guess if the woman finds it comfortable and they're not doing it in a place where all the attention would be on them, it wouldn't feel as strange.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.