First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply How old should a child be when they are allowed to change genders if they want?
19027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/17/15
I was 10 when I started crossdressing. By the time I was 12 I would dress completely like a girl sometimes. Not just throwing a skirt on but makeup and everything to show girl. I loved playing barbies with my cousin and enjoyed a lot of things that only girls were supposed to like. Legally and genetically I am defined as a man and I am not too bothered by it. I am a MTF transsexual and if someone realises what I am underneath I am okay with it. I'm not trying to make society define a dog as a cat so to say. I would have loved to transition when I was a child before I hit puberty because I would've had a relatively normal female puberty but instead I have spent thousands of dollars to hide what male puberty has done to me. What saddens me is growing up all the things I wanted to do that girls are expected to do but couldn't. I just want to show interest in what I like and be honest about my interests. If I was born a girl society would have seen it as normal but since I was born a boy I was told I was wrong by adults and harassed at times by people who put a lot of emphasis on gender roles.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 3/17/15 , edited 3/17/15
I think that a they should let there child change genders whenever there child is comfortable with it. Sadly people frequently don't understand and dont allow people to change genders.
Posted 3/17/15 , edited 3/17/15
4.

that's the age I knew I was attracted to men... am not even lying. so I assume some kids can be conscious of what their gender is at the same age.

I think its wrong to compare being a cat or other objects to feeling like you're in the wrong gender; they're two different things. wrong analogy.

its like comparing trigonometry to calculus; even tho they're both math, the two concept are fundamentally different with different methodologies.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 3/17/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

4.

that's the age I knew I was attracted to men... am not even lying.


Yeah like people fail to realize that things like these are truly biological and kids exhibit signs of being transgender or homosexuality way before they have the cognitive ability to go through "phases"... I was attracted to girls since I was very young like these things are not choices that people make for fun
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 3/17/15 , edited 3/17/15

wolfbrother0 wrote:


limeparadox wrote:


proxydata wrote:

18/legal adult age. However I really don't believe in transgender I think it's a phenomena having to do with psychosis, thus it may feel really real but the truth is it's not, I think doctors should look deeper into the issue, instead of enabling the patient.

"I personally refuse to believe in a widely recognized phenomenon, and if actual professional doctors don't agree with me I think THEY should be the ones to look into it deeper"

Solid logic there


there has been political motivation in some of the actions taken by the doctors in trying to shift it away from a disorder. and not all doctors know what the hell they are talking about.



Definition of MENTAL DISORDER. : a mental or bodily condition marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, and emotions to seriously impair the normal psychological functioning of the individual—called also mental illness.


Transgenderism is not a mental disorder because it doesn't impair the persons psychological functions in anyway. The stress from the prejudice from bigoted people may cause psychological duress but actually being transgender does not. If you actually would meet a transgender person they are all normally functioning people who are completely in control of themselves. Sometimes people are just born in the wrong body and thanks to modern medicine we can change that. Also what matter is it to you that some people want to change there gender.

EDIT: I kinda misspoke on this. To clarify part of the prejudice I mentioned is people not allowing there kids to physically change gender. I understand that being in a body that doesn't feel like its your own can be stressful on its own right without the prejudice against transgender people. The point was to show that transgenderism was not a mental disorder.
Posted 3/17/15
Repress it until you kill yourself is the American way of course.

Never mind who you really are, be what they want you to be!


Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/17/15

narutosonic330 wrote:

but I sincerely believe that nobody has been born a mistake no one should think that they are.


idk about all this other gender stuff but that is something i truly believe, nobody is born a mistake
Posted 3/17/15 , edited 3/17/15
When you hit puberty is the right time because that's when you are knowing yourself the best. I think it is ridiculous to let a 4 year old decide his/her gender, most kids at that age try to mimic what their parents/siblings/friends do and they don't have the ability to comprehend such things. I used to dress up my 6 year old brother as a girl to play house (I was 12) and he liked wearing dresses and all that stuff. I never said "oh, he must be transgender!" (didn't even know that such thing existed either way) but as soon as my brother hit puberty, he stopped playing house with me ;( lmao
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 3/17/15 , edited 3/17/15
In the case of MTF people -- waititng too long can make things a lot worse, and the result subpar, making it harder for them to pass. This was part of the problem in the case of Leelah Alcorn.
As such, I think it would be proper to let them start with hormones at around 14 or 15, probably. Maybe 16. Surgery should wait a few years.

Dressing as the other gender should be allowed at any and all ages.



When you say that, what does that include? Is that exclusively for surgery?
82916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 3/17/15 , edited 3/17/15

deer wrote:


dougeprofile wrote:

18 and when they have the financial resources to pay for the mutilation of their bodies to live the delusion of changed genders on their own.

Suicide is not caused by the "suppression" of "identity" but the issues causing the "identity" ...even the misguided "support" of those psychological issues.


You need to do more research fam...... Google is free and you should try using it sometime... Isn't it weird how transgender individuals who get the support they need become well adjusted members of society? Hmm... And those teenagers whose parents who treat their identity as a psychiatric condition and refuses to support them end up becoming homeless, deranged, or depressed and sometimes ends up committing suicide...? I hope you don't have kids or won't ever have kids because God forbid they're not cisgender...


Despite your assumptions ....I just agree with the research contradicting yours.
4500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 3/17/15 , edited 3/17/15
I think we already have a good enough system in place. From what I've heard people have to wait until 18. What they may get the option of having before that age is parental consent to having medication to delay puberty until they are of age legally. Then they can go through hormone treatment and body changing surgery.

I agree that some people are confusing social gender constructs and biological sex. You are a person foremost no matter what your body looks like. I think we push people to fit into neat little boxes too much.
36946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/17/15
Man, one thing I've learned is that Deer is not a friendly person and can't understand that other people have different views

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.