First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Is there very little demand for yuri?
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/15

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

I pretty much disagree with you in almost everything you said regarding yuri.


I like my yuri, romantic, sad, AND mainstream.

Why else are stuff like Clannad Afterstory, Toradora, Angel Beats, etc. considered classics?
Plus if we get it mainstream, we may get more stuff from it.

That's why I've been dying to see a new Kannazuki no Miko, or a sequel in the form of a movie.


Ouch. None of those were Yuri.

Toradora was about a boy and a girl who were totally different personality wise from what their physical attributes led people to believe that fell in love, etc. etc. etc. The blue haired side character was the only other female lead I can think of and she also was chasing inadvertently after the main boy.. It was closer to harem than yuri.

Angel beats was also about a girl who didn't know she was dead and in the final scene it was the love of our male main that was the focused romance. Nothing in there was girl on girl.

Clannad, I believe was also closer to harem than yuri.

You sir, do not know what yuri is.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 3/18/15 , edited 3/18/15

serifsansserif wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

I pretty much disagree with you in almost everything you said regarding yuri.


I like my yuri, romantic, sad, AND mainstream.

Why else are stuff like Clannad Afterstory, Toradora, Angel Beats, etc. considered classics?
Plus if we get it mainstream, we may get more stuff from it.

That's why I've been dying to see a new Kannazuki no Miko, or a sequel in the form of a movie.


Ouch. None of those were Yuri.

Toradora was about a boy and a girl who were totally different personality wise from what their physical attributes led people to believe that fell in love, etc. etc. etc. The blue haired side character was the only other female lead I can think of and she also was chasing inadvertently after the main boy.. It was closer to harem than yuri.

Angel beats was also about a girl who didn't know she was dead and in the final scene it was the love of our male main that was the focused romance. Nothing in there was girl on girl.

Clannad, I believe was also closer to harem than yuri.

You sir, do not know what yuri is.




Perhaps I should have included the word "non yuri stuff"
Let me clarify.
I chose these because while yes I am aware they are NOT yuri, they are tear jerkers to the audience.
We don't have a yuri series that rivals their success, unless you count Utena.
But a show that has the "feels" we don't have one.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/15 , edited 3/18/15

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

I think you missed the point.
I chose these because while yes I am aware they are NOT yuri, they are tear jerkers to the audience.
We don't have a yuri series that rivals their success, unless you count Utena.
But a show that has the "feels" we don't have one.


Yeah but as I said earlier in this discussion, Yaoi isn't about portraying realistic or straight (not meaning hetero but rather that they aren't portraying gay relationships as being "like ya know, everyone else's relationships) relationships either.

Yuri, like Yaoi is about pandering the same sex-ness to its audience rather than just two people that happen to be in love. The excitement for both is "OMFG!!!! TWO GUYS/GIRLS ARE KISSING!!!! ARE THEY GONNA FUCK!?!?!?!??!" And both aren't designed for the gay viewer, but for the hetero viewer who still thinks somehow gay people are different than us.

Which is also why I'm typically not a huge fan of either of the genres.

18416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/15
Demand isn't strong enough, there's plenty of manga focused on actual yuri if you need your yuri fix. Hell there's a manga for everything.
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 3/18/15
Sailor Moon is the most famous anime to have a lesbian couple but was edited in America until last year. Strawberry Panic! is 8/10 good yuri anime/manga that isn't just about you know what but more mentally and emotional love.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/18/15

serifsansserif wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

I think you missed the point.
I chose these because while yes I am aware they are NOT yuri, they are tear jerkers to the audience.
We don't have a yuri series that rivals their success, unless you count Utena.
But a show that has the "feels" we don't have one.


Yeah but as I said earlier in this discussion, Yaoi isn't about portraying realistic or straight (not meaning hetero but rather that they aren't portraying gay relationships as being "like ya know, everyone else's relationships) relationships either.

Yuri, like Yaoi is about pandering the same sex-ness to its audience rather than just two people that happen to be in love. The excitement for both is "OMFG!!!! TWO GUYS/GIRLS ARE KISSING!!!! ARE THEY GONNA FUCK!?!?!?!??!" And both aren't designed for the gay viewer, but for the hetero viewer who still thinks somehow gay people are different than us.

Which is also why I'm typically not a huge fan of either of the genres.



I guess I'm one of those " hetero viewer who still thinks somehow gay people are different than us." Cause I get a different feel when watching two women as opposed to a man and woman. (A different feeling in my big head and little head... just kidding, both are pretty big)

However, I disagree that's what yuri is about. Most yuri that's all for fanservice (Cross Ange, Queens Blade, Seikon no Qwaser) are non-yuri. Those anime I mentioned do not count as yuri. They just have yuri in them. Actual yuri anime is generally a lot tamer than anime in general.

Calling anime Nagica's Blitz Tactics or Freezing yuri is like saying Steins;Gate was about transgenderism.

I'm also not big on yuri being taken seriously, because well... Anime in general isn't. I mean... Aoi Hana wasn't the most realistic yuri anime I've seen... it's the most realistic romance I've seen in anime. It's down to earth, serious, and shows love isn't all fun and games. And well, yuri, yaoi, or het... that's not too common in anime. And well... it's because at the end of the day, we watch anime to be entertained. And most romance, regarldess of sexuality, is portrayed in a silly, quirky, over-romanticized way in anime. Hell, most real movies don't even get it right.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/15

silversongwriter wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

I think you missed the point.
I chose these because while yes I am aware they are NOT yuri, they are tear jerkers to the audience.
We don't have a yuri series that rivals their success, unless you count Utena.
But a show that has the "feels" we don't have one.


Yeah but as I said earlier in this discussion, Yaoi isn't about portraying realistic or straight (not meaning hetero but rather that they aren't portraying gay relationships as being "like ya know, everyone else's relationships) relationships either.

Yuri, like Yaoi is about pandering the same sex-ness to its audience rather than just two people that happen to be in love. The excitement for both is "OMFG!!!! TWO GUYS/GIRLS ARE KISSING!!!! ARE THEY GONNA FUCK!?!?!?!??!" And both aren't designed for the gay viewer, but for the hetero viewer who still thinks somehow gay people are different than us.

Which is also why I'm typically not a huge fan of either of the genres.



I guess I'm one of those " hetero viewer who still thinks somehow gay people are different than us." Cause I get a different feel when watching two women as opposed to a man and woman. (A different feeling in my big head and little head... just kidding, both are pretty big)

However, I disagree that's what yuri is about. Most yuri that's all for fanservice (Cross Ange, Queens Blade, Seikon no Qwaser) are non-yuri. Those anime I mentioned do not count as yuri. They just have yuri in them. Actual yuri anime is generally a lot tamer than anime in general.

Calling anime Nagica's Blitz Tactics or Freezing yuri is like saying Steins;Gate was about transgenderism.

I'm also not big on yuri being taken seriously, because well... Anime in general isn't. I mean... Aoi Hana wasn't the most realistic yuri anime I've seen... it's the most realistic romance I've seen in anime. It's down to earth, serious, and shows love isn't all fun and games. And well, yuri, yaoi, or het... that's not too common in anime. And well... it's because at the end of the day, we watch anime to be entertained. And most romance, regarldess of sexuality, is portrayed in a silly, quirky, over-romanticized way in anime. Hell, most real movies don't even get it right.


ehhh.. in that portion I was envisioning more the screaming fangirls of BL that are always asking who's the top and who's the bottom.... >.>

You're right. Yuri isn't nearly as over the top as its counterpart. I just find it frustrating something like same sex couples are a niche form of entertainment.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/18/15

serifsansserif wrote:
ehhh.. in that portion I was envisioning more the screaming fangirls of BL that are always asking who's the top and who's the bottom.... >.>

You're right. Yuri isn't nearly as over the top as its counterpart. I just find it frustrating something like same sex couples are a niche form of entertainment.


Well... I honestly am fine not seeing yaoi everywhere I go. So I'm sure others are happy with yuri... or they would be if yuri wasn't sprinkled everywhere in anime.

I mean... I've never seen a yaoi, but I'm sure somewhere in existence there is one that's genuine and serious and probably better a lot of straight romance... I'll never see one. but I'm sure it's worthy of me respecting it.

And the fact that yaoi/yuri are a niche makes it easier to avoid. It's just not what a lot of folks wanna see... and there's nothing wrong with that
3493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Near a peach tree.
Offline
Posted 3/18/15 , edited 3/18/15
I'm assuming that homosexuals are the underdogs of entertainment.
Sogno- 
45646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/18/15
plenty of yuri/shoujo-ai in manga verse...
16841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 3/18/15

silversongwriterActually "girl love" and "boy love" are terms used by a lot of pro-pedo activists.



In fact, pedo activists have thier own symbol for "girls love". They sickingly try to make pedophilia seem normal or beautiful by creating an identity for it.

I did a Google check of that symbol (reluctantly) and found out that the article that displayed that image dates back to 2006. So, I guess this isn't anything new.....but still, ick. Beautification of things like that blows my mind.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/18/15

Sephigi wrote:

I'm assuming that homosexuals are the underdogs of entertainment.


I disagree... after all, there might not be a lot of yuri, but there's a lot of lesbians in anime
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 3/18/15
please give me more girl gay
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/18/15 , edited 3/18/15

deer wrote:

please give me more girl gay


That's an interesting way to describe it
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 3/18/15

silversongwriter wrote:


deer wrote:

please give me more girl gay


That's an interesting way to describe it


the homosexuality in me is erupting
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.