Post Reply Do my reviews and ratings in Crunchyroll help?
5022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Finland
Offline
Posted 3/20/15
I was wondering by myself that when I see a great anime and give it a good rating and a review, does it matter outside CR? like if a new anime gets 9000+ 5stars in here and infinite amount of good reviews, am I going to see more of this or is it up to some random Japanese higher up who is like "lol nope"
I would like to know what more I can do to support the anime I like and those who made it so i can see more of it.
thanks.
Posted 3/20/15
I don't think so...
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 3/20/15
Doubt it
Posted 3/20/15
Yes, of course it does. Word of mouth spreads across the internet, and also Google search will bring up the anime on CR, which you'll see the rating and reviews for.

So yes, of course it does.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 3/20/15
Pretty sure the reason why terraformars was uncensored after a while was because everyone 1 starred it and said it was total shit. It then started to air uncensored after the 4th episode I think?

So yes, reviews do have somewhat of an effect. However, the west is not the target audience of anime, so the production companies may also not care what we say most of the tim.
Dutch Moderator
30801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The Netherlands
Online
Posted 3/20/15 , edited 3/20/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:However, the west is not the target audience of anime, so the production companies may also not care what we say most of the tim.


Don't be too sure about that, they do kinda care about what we think about their titles, a lot actually.
At this moment distribution rights for Anime and Manga are huge export products litterally pumping billions of Yen into the Japanese economy every year, and if a series is accepted and/or reviewed badly chances are that companies abroad won't license it or license it for a lot less than they wanted for it.
8687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

Pretty sure the reason why terraformars was uncensored after a while was because everyone 1 starred it and said it was total shit. It then started to air uncensored after the 4th episode I think?

So yes, reviews do have somewhat of an effect. However, the west is not the target audience of anime, so the production companies may also not care what we say most of the tim.


If Japan didn't have financial support from the U.S to fund their anime and whatnot, they would be practically done. A significant amount of money comes from the U.S to them, so if they lose us as their target of interest, then they lose a fuckton of support.

No support = Low income money = No workers = Low quality work = Forget it, you're fucked.
Posted 3/20/15

MagicalBlade wrote:


AzazelOfNexium wrote:

Pretty sure the reason why terraformars was uncensored after a while was because everyone 1 starred it and said it was total shit. It then started to air uncensored after the 4th episode I think?

So yes, reviews do have somewhat of an effect. However, the west is not the target audience of anime, so the production companies may also not care what we say most of the tim.


If Japan didn't have financial support from the U.S to fund their anime and whatnot, they would be practically done. A significant amount of money comes from the U.S to them, so if they lose us as their target of interest, then they lose a fuckton of support.

No support = Low income money = No workers = Low quality work = Forget it, you're fucked.



If Japan didn't have the financial support from the U.S, they would be just fine. If the U.S made one difference in the popularity of anime then all the anime that people wanted a 3rd or more season or even a proper ending to, would have been made. If sales are crap in Japan don't expect it to get another season, regardless if it sales 5x as much or whatever over here.
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 3/20/15

MagicalBlade wrote:If Japan didn't have financial support from the U.S to fund their anime and whatnot, they would be practically done. A significant amount of money comes from the U.S to them, so if they lose us as their target of interest, then they lose a fuckton of support.

No support = Low income money = No workers = Low quality work = Forget it, you're fucked.


some animation companies already do low quality work (on some series), and pay pennies to animators
24257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/15 , edited 3/20/15
No not really. Not alone anyway.. CR will get what they can afford or feel is worth their investment. If the show was 5 star rated but had 2,000 weekly viewers that would be a bad deal for Crunchy. A show with 3.5 stars and has 100k viewers would be good.

Your reviews are more to convince others to watch an anime which can help boost its popularity. If you think of it that way then yes.
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 3/20/15
tbh, i usually just check mal for the ratings and reviews. never checked the ratings here.
24257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

tbh, i usually just check mal for the ratings and reviews. never checked the ratings here.


That can be helpful. But I reckon the vast majority of visitors to this site don't even know what that is.
6087 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M / Maine, USA
Offline
Posted 3/22/15 , edited 3/22/15
As someone who has earned a hefty living doing media market research, I can assure you your ratings matter and do have an effect. Generally the breakdown is about 1:150-250 for reviewers-vs-watchers. This varies, but trust me, hard core fans are valued a LOT more than a fan base that is a mile wide and an inch deep. They now call this the "firefly" effect, where it is estimated that Studio Executives LOST 1BILLION dollars in revenue by canceling Firefly early, because they discounted the "small" , but incredibly loyal fan base. The same works with anime.
Anime is a business and these days it is Japans' largest export.
There are people in Tokyo right now who log into CR and watch reviews and star ratings-vs-viewer numbers like hawks after field mice. "Your Lie In April" is being discussed right now because its viewership world wide steadily increased about 1-2 market share points EVERY week-no dips or falls anywhere, at any time. That means for reissue that little anime is worth tens of MILLIONS $$ in the Middle East and South Asian markets. Remember, anime is a KEY advertising sector weather bell. In other words, the hottest products to sell and that generate the most advertising revenue are to young adults-age 14-27 who have disposable incomes. What you advertise to this age group also heavily influences their later purchases. For example, 1-10 cars purchased are "fixed" by car ads watched by under 16 year olds: "I like Buicks, because I remember that ad"......
Also, YLIA is being snooped by Hollywood producers, who look for these outlier phenomenon so as to sell a script.
So yeah, review early and often.
One of CR's greatest weaknesses is that they don't allow subscribers to easily or instantly click a star rating. They are losing serious marketing cash revenue by not doing this. Netflix does allow this and one can get a pretty good idea of how good a show is by looking at the star ratings-1,000,000 votes with an average rating of 4.5 is probably going to be a program I watch and companies are going to want to pay premium prices to advertise on that video stream. 15,000 votes with an average of 2.4 for a show means less than premium advertising rates for ads.
Also, the marketing research is valuable.
Frankly, I'd estimate that CR is losing about $100,000 a year net revenue because they have such an awkward rating system.

6087 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M / Maine, USA
Offline
Posted 3/22/15
YLIA first half viewership in Japan. These sorts of numbers only happen for sports events in the USA and are a revenue goldmine.
1145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / In your house or...
Offline
Posted 3/22/15
Dont think it does..
You must be logged in to post.