First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people hate on Religion?
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/26/15

Zoraprime wrote:


pirththee wrote:

I don't care what you want to believe in as long as you don't try to impose it on me and others.What the US needs is a Constitutional Amendment for Freedom from religion.


Is that not the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment?


Nope, The Free Exercise clause protects religion and not those that want to be free from religion.In God We Trust.
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
I don't hate it, what I do hate is the people who try to push on me like a car salesman yes I know how much you love god but I still don't care, so stop.
428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Puerto Rico
Offline
Posted 3/26/15

mordant221 wrote:

I don't hate on it. I believe everyone has the RIGHT to do and believe in whatever they want as long as they don't 1) Hurt anybody and 2) Break the law. Who is anyone to say something is bullshit anyway




Hmm, I would generally agree, but this view is a little simplistic for my taste.

The United States is an Oligarchy
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9354310
( http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746)

Read the study, its very detailed. This paragraph scared me a lot.

"When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organized interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the US political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favor policy change, they generally do not get it. "


Anyways, if the law is written with such blatant bias as to be criminally unfair to those outside of the economically elite, at some point 'breaking the law' will become the only viable option.

Gods, I wrote so much simply to poke at the #2 on your list. I apologize for such silly dedication. Is not as if our discussion is going to change the world. :)


Santera
1773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 3/26/15

gvblackmoon wrote:]
Gish Gallops look it up.

We don't force our world view onto others we don't care what people believe or don't believe what we do is defend our right to have our world view. What we do is defend the right for others to have their world view. What we want is a highly educated society that is able to make rational choices about how it works.

We who do not have a religion do not seek conflict if we do they are the exception to the rule not the rule. Mostly they seek conflict to educate since you do not learn unless you views are challenged. They use that conflict as a teaching tool as it has been done for centuries challenge your preconceived notions at all time they may very well be wrong. You do not learn unless you are challenged.

You seem to be making the assumption that every atheist is such because they are highly educated and religious people are such because they do not have an open mind. Many atheists as well as religious people force their views on others, and if such atheists are an exception then religious fundamentalists are as well. Unless, you are seriously suggesting that the majority of religious people are murders and rebels?



gvblackmoon wrote:]
I tend to find more douches when dealing with those who have closed minds and are unwilling to accept new concepts and ideas as reality. They react violently and it tends to get ugly mostly because they aren't even willing to listen or begin to even try and understand. If you consider a douche to be someone that is willing to fight for what they think is the right path than you need to readdress this concept and consider it to be the person that is unwilling to listen or learn and pushes their ignorance onto others.

Again, many religious people address their doubts on almost a monthly basis.
Many people choose what they believe based on what is convenient to them not what is right. If someone doesn't care about faith or lack of, will they not just pick the side that reduces the chance of conflict or ostracisation? That doesn't make them open-minded because they are an atheist or righteous because they profess to be a believer.


gvblackmoon wrote:]
The bible you are correct most normal people do take it as allegory and as a skewed history. However this is not always true there are many folks out there that take it as literal truth. This is why we get Religious freedom laws that allow for discrimination against people based on sexuality and gender identity. Why we have groups pushing their view of morality, which is based on that book. So until they stop pushing their beliefs I will keep fighting back to defend my right not to believe.

As for the crack pots we look at them the same way we look at religious folks. They also tend to be religious not what you would consider religious but still they have a faith. While the Church states religion and science are in agreement not all members of the church hold these views and this can change with a new Pope. Religion does not have finial say in morality and it really shouldn't it has a terrible track record as I stated. Morality should be created from the society of the many not the few. This makes the society more equal not less.

While religion can't be blamed for every ill in the world it sure as hell as been used to justify several of them and still is to this day.

If some other religious person is a terrorist, does that make me more of a terrorist?
If Stalin was an atheist, does that make you more of a remorseless dictator?
So religion can't dictate morality? What does then? You claim it should be the majority, then what's the problem? If the majority are religious, then aren't their views the correct ones, going by your logic? Should atheists dictate laws, as atheistic regimes were responsible for the worst, most systematic and horrific killings in the last century?

Your idea of equal seems to be, "the majority, but only if they agree with what I believe.".
If you don't think the majority is correct, then where does your morality come from? The overall success of the human race? Then would you be okay with the execution of the poor, disabled and old to remove the weak points in society, along with structured breeding to promote evolutionary advantages? You morals come from nowhere and you seem to want to force everyone to believe the exact same thing as you.
If you think all atheists are rational please look at your own ridiculous and offensive generalisations of the many upstanding and brilliant religious people both in history and in today's society.

39137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 3/26/15

pirththee wrote:


Zoraprime wrote:


pirththee wrote:

I don't care what you want to believe in as long as you don't try to impose it on me and others.What the US needs is a Constitutional Amendment for Freedom from religion.


Is that not the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment?


Nope, The Free Exercise clause protects religion and not those that want to be free from religion.In God We Trust.


Ah. I apologize. I misread "from Religion" as "For Religion"

I suppose I meant to ask, is that not what the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment does? In particular, the Lemon's Test which is based on said Establishment Clause?
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/27/15

Zoraprime wrote:


pirththee wrote:


Zoraprime wrote:


pirththee wrote:

I don't care what you want to believe in as long as you don't try to impose it on me and others.What the US needs is a Constitutional Amendment for Freedom from religion.


Is that not the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment?


Nope, The Free Exercise clause protects religion and not those that want to be free from religion.In God We Trust.


Ah. I apologize. I misread "from Religion" as "For Religion"

I suppose I meant to ask, is that not what the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment does? In particular, the Lemon's Test which is based on said Establishment Clause?


Actually the Establishment Clause is in conflict with parts of the Free Exercise Cause however the Establishment Clause again protects religious freedom and the prohibition of state sanctioned religion but has no allowance for the reverse.One country under god.
Posted 3/26/15
Coz they're a bunch of numpties, innit bruv
25364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Dublin, Ireland (...
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
I've an extreme hatred of religion as a social construct. It impacts on people who don't want it impacting them, influences and creates completely fucked up laws like the Sharia.

Religion as a personal belief and practice is fine, but one it begins to affect other people I detest it, it's just wrong.
20606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hell
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
Here we go again...
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/26/15

PrincessLunza wrote:

I've an extreme hatred of religion as a social construct. It impacts on people who don't want it impacting them, influences and creates completely fucked up laws like the Sharia.

Religion as a personal belief and practice is fine, but one it begins to affect other people I detest it, it's just wrong.


All humans are somehow or another connected, you can't not affect other people. It's those very same excuse that create this need to control others.
8256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
The issue I personally have with religion is that it's put on a pedestal and allowed to dictate policy, education and decision making. No other choice or belief would ever be given the power that choice in religious belief does when it comes to impacting things that should be the purview of everyone.

Believe in whatever you want to believe in however ardently you want to believe in it. That's cool and I legitimately hope it makes you a better person and leads you to better the world at large. Just don't expect your beliefs to allow you to choose what laws end up in the books, who gets tax breaks, what gets taught in schools, who can get married, etc.
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/26/15
Concern, concern is good though but disproportion in concern is not. There are many blindspots to be exploited if your concern remains a general theme to disregard in a general sense.
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 3/26/15
The problem with religion is people. People will bastardize anything they can if they think it will give them an inch in life. The non-religious have every right to be upset with people of religion, but not the religions themselves.

I'm a Christian. I'll say it, but I truly dislike a lot of what my own supposed brothers and sisters do in the name of Christ. I don't view them as true Christians. God is love.
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
It's not that I hate it, I just don't agree with them because as a Christian, it's a given. I guess people hate it because of the result with war and whatnot.. I remember reading somewhere that Hitler hated Jews because the Jews killed Jesus or something like that.. then there's the extreme Jihadist that's currently distracting government flow in Asia.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 3/26/15

Yamstarch wrote:

The problem with religion is people. People will bastardize anything they can if they think it will give them an inch in life. The non-religious have every right to be upset with people of religion, but not the religions themselves.

I'm a Christian. I'll say it, but I truly dislike a lot of what my own supposed brothers and sisters do in the name of Christ. I don't view them as true Christians. God is love.


Love is a human created abstraction. God demands obedience ask your preachers, ask the pope.

I am offended by people who lack understanding in their own religion.

No no nope.. I take that back taking offence would mean giving a damn.. and frankly sur..
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.