First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people hate on Religion?
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/26/15


Haha there's so much that you do not know. It's so difficult to explain what Christians believe that YOU need to invest PERSONAL time into it, not by looking up specific Bible verses or basic stuff like that. You can probably hit up a local church in your area, maybe a youth service would be great to visit. If you think you're too old for it, talk with the staff, they'll be around your age or so. God is love, and love is real.
24468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
People hate on it because it's popular, and they let one story of a group of assholes completely define the entire group.
5617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Korriban
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
So, being someone who doesn't truly believe in religion anymore (besides the possibility of a higher power/supreme being/first mover), it's not so much hate...at least for me.

For others, there may be many reasons why religion is hated, such as bad experiences with extremely religious people (those ones who take the Bible for pure fact, and if you say anything out of line, be ready for a real life flame war *cough Westboro Church cough*...and many others in school anyway).

There may also be a lack of substantial evidence, as no one can PROVE that God exists (especially when he doesn't answer prayers...or at least it's not that obvious [not saying he truly does not answer, just never when I prayed...]).

As well as that, though not quite as much a reason, is that religion, most certainly in the modern world (please correct me if I'm wrong), is used sort of for power (I know America used to be based off of White Male Landowning Christians, though not so much today).

Anyway, just some possible reasons for the "hate" of religion...I apologize for this being so poorly worded/possibly what others already said
Posted 3/26/15
I have no religion, but that doesn't mean i oppose any religion specifically or in general. I do enjoy learning about a variety of religions and their history, but that's all. There are plenty of haters from all religious views, regardless of religion or location.
Posted 3/26/15
i hate religion because it is oppressive to me. like most religions are against gays... i don't like it. as i feel that had no choice in being gay. but when in their texts, they say it's "wrong" or whatever, it makes me hella mad. don't even get me started on what the people who believe those religions say about gays, they make up reasonings like "nobody chose to be a paedophile, does it make right?"

am just like, "whatever" and roll my eyes.

if religion is allowed to say hate speech against particular group of people, then i am free to hate on religions and say crap about it. it's a bunch of fairy tales. and we have people killing themselves over nonsensical beliefs.
428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Puerto Rico
Offline
Posted 3/26/15

DarkFrostX wrote:

Here we go again...




*laughs*


Santera
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/26/15
because they have a stupid superior complex and they literally jack off to talking down on theists because they have no other personal accomplishments other than regurgitating what they read on reddit and science daily
5005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
The amount of deaths and outright bigotry caused by religion in the modern day is too much for the average human to take. It is why there is a lot of outright disgust towards religion.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/26/15
I think many people nowadays see it as an archaic and outdated way of explaining things that happen in the world.

I do think religion DOES have value in that it helps instill a sense of morality in people. Granted, adhering to religion is not the only way to to be an upright and moral person, and not all religious people are moral, but religion is a good tool for instilling values in people.
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
Because Religion is belief in Dogma. It's baseless faith.

Today's world runs on information, and information produces results. Saying something is right without reliable information to base it on either makes a person stupid or insane.

Whenever someone says, "because I have faith." It makes me want to respond, "Based on what grounds? What previous phenomena have you observed warrants this belief investment of anything?"

What is good about religion though is that it is a useful tool for creating a community with a mutual interest. However I think there are smarter ways of going about accomplishing that.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
Because when you divide humanity into various groups of special little snowflakes against whom disagreement is the only real sin left, you still need at least one group to hurl your irrational hate against.
18059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The Woodlands, TX
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
**This is why anyone and everyone hates anything and everything in two words;


World View
50278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Phatuum Thani, Th...
Offline
Posted 3/26/15
I feel hate might be a strong word.
I think I might understand the negativity towards religion.
Many people are very fearful of death and the unknown beyond that, so they turn to religion, which helps them cope with their fears.

Though, the problem many have with religion is how manipulative it can be.
I see a lot of cults out there like west boro baptist church and scientology, which have leaders that take advantage of their followers, (Almost always for $) Not just leaders, but followers too, which will take teachings from their own religion out of context and use it to pressure others.

When people take advantage of religion, they're basically using god as their weapon, making other believers second guess things they'd usually find ridiculous.
I feel this takes away from most religions that teach peace and hospitality.

But then again I'm a pretty selfish Buddhist, so don't take my word for it lol.
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 3/26/15

tridragon1 wrote:

I'm not one of your "avid" religious believers but, still a believer and I've been wondering, why do people hate on religion so much? Whether it's a person of no religion or a different religion, what makes the other belief stronger than the other? This doesn't apply to one religion, but pretty much all of them, I've seen people think their religion is more superior, but do different beliefs really effect which is inferior or not?

Hating on religion is pretty much on the same level of racism.

Do you dislike religion? If so, why?

What's your opinion on this?


Though I don't share in it, I have no problem with faith.

What I object to is the abuse of faith into a medium by which humans (not god) control other humans.

Too much well publicized activity by any number of organized religions falls into the latter category.

ps.

Oh, and the fight religion keeps picking with science just corrodes my respect for religion. As far as I'm concerned religion has owned this fight and lost every time.

21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 3/26/15 , edited 3/26/15

Laiseran wrote:


gvblackmoon wrote:]
Gish Gallops look it up.

We don't force our world view onto others we don't care what people believe or don't believe what we do is defend our right to have our world view. What we do is defend the right for others to have their world view. What we want is a highly educated society that is able to make rational choices about how it works.

We who do not have a religion do not seek conflict if we do they are the exception to the rule not the rule. Mostly they seek conflict to educate since you do not learn unless you views are challenged. They use that conflict as a teaching tool as it has been done for centuries challenge your preconceived notions at all time they may very well be wrong. You do not learn unless you are challenged.



You seem to be making the assumption that every atheist is such because they are highly educated and religious people are such because they do not have an open mind. Many atheists as well as religious people force their views on others, and if such atheists are an exception then religious fundamentalists are as well. Unless, you are seriously suggesting that the majority of religious people are murders and rebels?


People who are atheist do tend to be more educated comes with the fact we don't shut out new ideas and are more willing to learn. While there are those that have issues with accepting new ideas there always folks like this, once enough evidence is presented atheist tend to take that idea as truth. It is a matter of trust in the scientific process.

You would be referring Mr. Dawkin who many on the religious side do feel is attacking them as I stated he is doing so to teach he is was until recently a Professor at Oxford and is in the habit of challenging a person world view to do so. To teach you most first remove false ideas and to do this you challenge them. So why isn't it fine to question religious authority like we question all other authority?

He does attack the authority of religion he questions it just like any smart intelligent person should. There should be no preferential treatment for religion it should have the same level of ridicule and questioning that any group that wishes power over people’s lives has. So why is there this barrier of no you can’t go there it is a religion?

No I never inferred or suggested that religious fundamentalist where more prone to violence such as murder or rebellion. What I am stating, however; is fundamentalist have a drive to convert and a desire to force their moral code on the rest of us. This does happen and this is the primary source of conflict I have seen this desire to convert those that are not of the faith. I'm not trying to convert I don't care what you believe just give me the same courtesies.


gvblackmoon wrote:]
I tend to find more douches when dealing with those who have closed minds and are unwilling to accept new concepts and ideas as reality. They react violently and it tends to get ugly mostly because they aren't even willing to listen or begin to even try and understand. If you consider a douche to be someone that is willing to fight for what they think is the right path than you need to readdress this concept and consider it to be the person that is unwilling to listen or learn and pushes their ignorance onto others.




Again, many religious people address their doubts on almost a monthly basis.
Many people choose what they believe based on what is convenient to them not what is right. If someone doesn't care about faith or lack of, will they not just pick the side that reduces the chance of conflict or ostracisation? That doesn't make them open-minded because they are an atheist or righteous because they profess to be a believer.

No what makes people open minded is a desire to learn about the world around them and a willingness to accept new possibilities in reality as they develop. I do not judge individuals as open or closed minded until they prove such, but I have found through experience that those that are willing to ignore science and take religion as truth tend to not be as willing to be open minded about reality. There are exceptions to this and I have met them as well.

How a person wishes to live is up to the individual but they should have enough knowledge to make an informed choice about it. My Grandfather taught Sunday school for many years he didn’t teach just Christian faith he gave the kids probably the best competitive religion class they would ever have. We still have the Buddha that he would use in that class and sat in his entry way of his house out in our living room. He did this so the kids would have knowledge of how other people believed and more than one point of view, this helpful when creating an open minded person.


gvblackmoon wrote:]
The bible you are correct most normal people do take it as allegory and as a skewed history. However this is not always true there are many folks out there that take it as literal truth. This is why we get Religious freedom laws that allow for discrimination against people based on sexuality and gender identity. Why we have groups pushing their view of morality, which is based on that book. So until they stop pushing their beliefs I will keep fighting back to defend my right not to believe.

As for the crack pots we look at them the same way we look at religious folks. They also tend to be religious not what you would consider religious but still they have a faith. While the Church states religion and science are in agreement not all members of the church hold these views and this can change with a new Pope. Religion does not have finial say in morality and it really shouldn't it has a terrible track record as I stated. Morality should be created from the society of the many not the few. This makes the society more equal not less.

While religion can't be blamed for every ill in the world it sure as hell as been used to justify several of them and still is to this day.

If some other religious person is a terrorist, does that make me more of a terrorist?
If Stalin was an atheist, does that make you more of a remorseless dictator?
So religion can't dictate morality? What does then? You claim it should be the majority, then what's the problem? If the majority are religious, then aren't their views the correct ones, going by your logic? Should atheists dictate laws, as atheistic regimes were responsible for the worst, most systematic and horrific killings in the last century?

Your idea of equal seems to be, "the majority, but only if they agree with what I believe.".
If you don't think the majority is correct, then where does your morality come from? The overall success of the human race? Then would you be okay with the execution of the poor, disabled and old to remove the weak points in society, along with structured breeding to promote evolutionary advantages? You morals come from nowhere and you seem to want to force everyone to believe the exact same thing as you.
If you think all atheists are rational please look at your own ridiculous and offensive generalisations of the many upstanding and brilliant religious people both in history and in today's society.



First and second questions are illogical traps and not true they are fallacies arguments. If you are trying to say my closing statement is the same you are incorrect it is a statement of fact. I would be happy to provide proof if you like. ISIL leaps to mind on this point so do the Crusades and the Inquisition. Would you like me to continue?

If I don’t feel the majority is correct I work to change minds and educate and bring about change from within the system. That is the way the system works for our government. I cannot do that within a religious order I would be branded a heretic and kicked out. Humanity did not get where it is because of god it got here because of knowledge and understanding in how the world works it developed new ways of thinking and developed new types of social system. Morality is a creation of man always has been it is the laws and rules by which we are governed the oldest of such is the Code of Hammurabi. It is survival outside of the individual.

As for generalization yup makes it easier to challenge your preconceived notions about how reality works. The loudest voices are all we hear from the religions they are the ones pushing these ideas and morality. So show me I’m wrong point out the folks that are willing to defend those of different faith or none. I know they are there I’ve met them they are good people and I would defend their and the moralist voice in the public discourse but I want an equal voice as well.

Oh sure there are lots of outstanding religious people always will be and outstanding atheist as well. Don’t insult them by inferring they are morally bankrupt monsters that can’t think for themselves and come to intelligent choices in life. Don’t discount us as being evil because don’t have faith in an invisible father figure that will smite us dead if we piss it off. If god wants a defense he should come here and give it himself not by proxy.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.