Post Reply Sony picks up Live Action Rights for Robotech
7340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / The Lone Star State
Offline
Posted 3/27/15 , edited 3/27/15
Sony snagged the live action rights to Robotech this week. I didn't see a topic on this, and I figured that this area would be the better place to stick it since it is live action as opposed to anime.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/423263-sony-pictures-announces-robotech-franchise-plans
2450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The heart of Linc...
Offline
Posted 3/30/15
Interesting to see if a live action film will still come true. It'd probably start off like the rest of the franchise but ultimately go it's own way, like most movie adaptations.

It's been well over due for a new chapter, though i'd have thought a new anime would've been done or even a redo like dbzk/fmab for robotic/macross.
7340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / The Lone Star State
Offline
Posted 3/30/15 , edited 3/30/15

DalekCaan wrote:

Interesting to see if a live action film will still come true. It'd probably start off like the rest of the franchise but ultimately go it's own way, like most movie adaptations.

It's been well over due for a new chapter, though i'd have thought a new anime would've been done or even a redo like dbzk/fmab for robotic/macross.


Since Robotech was adapted for US Television, the Macross franchise has had Macross 7, Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross 2, Macross Zero, and a new series coming here sometime soon(ish) Macross Delta. That's not including games that have been put out dealing with the same Macross universe. Since the original Robotech/Macross adaptation came out, in that same time they have only successfully produced Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles and Robotech: Love Live Alive which are both movies, IIRC.

I'd like to see Robotech continue on and be its own thing, but I think they will have a tough go of it. With the reception that Pacific Rim got I hope they do well.
2450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The heart of Linc...
Offline
Posted 3/31/15
jabber87, I hope so. Would be interesting if they did something completely new and revive the franchise.
7340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / The Lone Star State
Offline
Posted 4/1/15

DalekCaan wrote:

jabber87, I hope so. Would be interesting if they did something completely new and revive the franchise.


I would say that they would have to stick fairly close to the Rick/Lisa generation and the story of the SDF-1 and the invasion of the Zentraedi (the Macross Saga) to actually start off any kind of story in the franchise. Otherwise I think most first time viewers would be just utterly lost. After they establish some backstory, then going in new and different directions would be a fantastic idea.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/15

jabber87 wrote:


DalekCaan wrote:

jabber87, I hope so. Would be interesting if they did something completely new and revive the franchise.


I would say that they would have to stick fairly close to the Rick/Lisa generation and the story of the SDF-1 and the invasion of the Zentraedi (the Macross Saga) to actually start off any kind of story in the franchise. Otherwise I think most first time viewers would be just utterly lost. After they establish some backstory, then going in new and different directions would be a fantastic idea.


I disagree.. Start off with Macross Zero or something similar, and go from there. The stuff from the 80's is REALLY old and dated and needs a revamp. MZ at least came out around the 00's and is the prequel to a lot of the stuff. You can also go the Valkyrie fan film route, which would be amazing as well.

In either case the whole franchise is deserving of a reboot.

I think in many cases there's too much of a call for "purity" of the original source material which is detrimental as it's often not contemporaneous and it holds the original's flaws as sacrosanct.
7340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / The Lone Star State
Offline
Posted 4/3/15

serifsansserif wrote:


jabber87 wrote:


DalekCaan wrote:

jabber87, I hope so. Would be interesting if they did something completely new and revive the franchise.


I would say that they would have to stick fairly close to the Rick/Lisa generation and the story of the SDF-1 and the invasion of the Zentraedi (the Macross Saga) to actually start off any kind of story in the franchise. Otherwise I think most first time viewers would be just utterly lost. After they establish some backstory, then going in new and different directions would be a fantastic idea.


I disagree.. Start off with Macross Zero or something similar, and go from there. The stuff from the 80's is REALLY old and dated and needs a revamp. MZ at least came out around the 00's and is the prequel to a lot of the stuff. You can also go the Valkyrie fan film route, which would be amazing as well.

In either case the whole franchise is deserving of a reboot.

I think in many cases there's too much of a call for "purity" of the original source material which is detrimental as it's often not contemporaneous and it holds the original's flaws as sacrosanct.


There is a problem that arises at that point then because of what Harmony Gold has copyright claim/license to for the property they have adapted. Also blurring the lines between the Macross franchise and the Robotech franchise doesn't help. I don't believe Harmony Gold has distribution rights to Macross Zero. Hell, I don't actually think anyone in the United States has distribution rights to any of the rest of the Macross franchise except for Manga Entertainment who holds the license for Macross Plus and Macross II. The rest of the franchise hasn't made it to the United States legally AFAIK. So Macross Zero, Macros Frontier, and Macross 7 haven't made it over. That isn't including the numerous games in the Macross franchise, even though Robotech has had some games within their franchise as well. Anyways, that opens up the legal debate of what Harmony Gold has control over and what they don't. Though Harmony Gold hasn't exactly been afraid of issuing cease and desist orders for mecha having a similar likeness.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/15

jabber87 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


jabber87 wrote:


DalekCaan wrote:

jabber87, I hope so. Would be interesting if they did something completely new and revive the franchise.


I would say that they would have to stick fairly close to the Rick/Lisa generation and the story of the SDF-1 and the invasion of the Zentraedi (the Macross Saga) to actually start off any kind of story in the franchise. Otherwise I think most first time viewers would be just utterly lost. After they establish some backstory, then going in new and different directions would be a fantastic idea.


I disagree.. Start off with Macross Zero or something similar, and go from there. The stuff from the 80's is REALLY old and dated and needs a revamp. MZ at least came out around the 00's and is the prequel to a lot of the stuff. You can also go the Valkyrie fan film route, which would be amazing as well.

In either case the whole franchise is deserving of a reboot.

I think in many cases there's too much of a call for "purity" of the original source material which is detrimental as it's often not contemporaneous and it holds the original's flaws as sacrosanct.


There is a problem that arises at that point then because of what Harmony Gold has copyright claim/license to for the property they have adapted. Also blurring the lines between the Macross franchise and the Robotech franchise doesn't help. I don't believe Harmony Gold has distribution rights to Macross Zero. Hell, I don't actually think anyone in the United States has distribution rights to any of the rest of the Macross franchise except for Manga Entertainment who holds the license for Macross Plus and Macross II. The rest of the franchise hasn't made it to the United States legally AFAIK. So Macross Zero, Macros Frontier, and Macross 7 haven't made it over. That isn't including the numerous games in the Macross franchise, even though Robotech has had some games within their franchise as well. Anyways, that opens up the legal debate of what Harmony Gold has control over and what they don't. Though Harmony Gold hasn't exactly been afraid of issuing cease and desist orders for mecha having a similar likeness.


Interesting.....

That actually could play into Sony's favor if they were to pursue those other licenses. Theoretically they could, if they so desired, do Macross/Robotech in such a way that skips the Harmony Gold licensing, do a phenomenal reboot, and once they show it could be profitable and desireable, either buy the license from HG or incite HG to release some stuff.
7340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / The Lone Star State
Offline
Posted 4/3/15

serifsansserif wrote:
Interesting.....

That actually could play into Sony's favor if they were to pursue those other licenses. Theoretically they could, if they so desired, do Macross/Robotech in such a way that skips the Harmony Gold licensing, do a phenomenal reboot, and once they show it could be profitable and desireable, either buy the license from HG or incite HG to release some stuff.


The day HG sells their license, is the day hell freezes over. I think that HG realizes that Sony doing a live action movie could be a very good thing to get people interested in the series. If this leads to a re-imaging of the series aimed at a more mature audience, I would be fine with it but I am kind of doubtful it will launch a reboot of the franchise.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/15

jabber87 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:
Interesting.....

That actually could play into Sony's favor if they were to pursue those other licenses. Theoretically they could, if they so desired, do Macross/Robotech in such a way that skips the Harmony Gold licensing, do a phenomenal reboot, and once they show it could be profitable and desireable, either buy the license from HG or incite HG to release some stuff.


The day HG sells their license, is the day hell freezes over. I think that HG realizes that Sony doing a live action movie could be a very good thing to get people interested in the series. If this leads to a re-imaging of the series aimed at a more mature audience, I would be fine with it but I am kind of doubtful it will launch a reboot of the franchise.


Don't be surprised RE: a more mature audience/reboot. GITS is getting an american treatment, and that one movie, Edge of Tomorrow was based off of a manga. It's more plausible than you may think.
7340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / The Lone Star State
Offline
Posted 4/3/15

serifsansserif wrote:
Don't be surprised RE: a more mature audience/reboot. GITS is getting an american treatment, and that one movie, Edge of Tomorrow was based off of a manga. It's more plausible than you may think. :P


I am aware of those, but I also think franchises like GiTS lose something in translation going from animated to live action. Though with how technology and stuff that can be done in post is now, it may end up being pretty good. I was very impressed by Edge of Tomorrow (based off of All You Need is Kill), and actually liked how the movie differed from the source.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/15

jabber87 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:
Don't be surprised RE: a more mature audience/reboot. GITS is getting an american treatment, and that one movie, Edge of Tomorrow was based off of a manga. It's more plausible than you may think. :P


I am aware of those, but I also think franchises like GiTS lose something in translation going from animated to live action. Though with how technology and stuff that can be done in post is now, it may end up being pretty good. I was very impressed by Edge of Tomorrow (based off of All You Need is Kill), and actually liked how the movie differed from the source.


I agree, GITS is going to lose something and it may just really suck. I'm still hopeful though.GITS, and I may get hell for this, but still, it kinda degraded with each iteration even within itself. The original movie REALLY made you think. GITS:SAC was thought provoking and good, but the animation wasn't nearly the quality of the movie, nor was it AS thought provoking.

With Macross, on the other hand, I think has gotten better. Personally, I was a big fan of Macross Plus and Zero over the original. The project Valkyrie stuff looked like a really good start for a project, and with each "version" it has gone more from "space opera with lots of music" to a more and more refined military/war anime for an older audience. It's what gave it such appeal to me over Gundam and a lot of other mecha titles. (in fact, outside of the gilgamesh/evangelion/rahxephon sort of subgenre of mecha anime, Macross is one of the very few mecha franchises I'll watch)
3488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Chapel Hill, N.C
Offline
Posted 4/4/15
Who knows, maybe we could get decent movies out of these properties if they find the right director. If this and the proposed "Ghost in the Shell" movie are done well, this could lead to the next big trend in Hollywood. Remember when some people thought "Guardians of the Galaxy" will flop because it was based on a comic only the most hardcore Marvel fans knew about? Could be the same here. But then again, there is the chance that both of these movies either become a big train wreak or put into turnaround.
3614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 4/8/15
Harmony Gold is the most vile thing to ever come from anime!

They are the reason why I had to watch Macross on the dark side.

Harmony Gold has no innovation, no creativity. Unless someone makes something first for which they can steal, they have nothing!

Robotech is NOW a failure, a flop. They tried a KICKSTARTER that failed...LOL seriously they did!

You want bad anime, watch Shadow Chronicles!

If Sony were smart, they would make Harmony Gold give up the rights back, so that all the Macross stuff could be brought over to the US legally. In exchange for that Harmony Gold would be able to use the full likenesses for their live action movie.

Sony wins, Macross fans in America win, and Harmony Gold actually realizes a profit!
You must be logged in to post.