First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Woman blames patriarchy for her period-blood picture being taken off instagram.
8386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/27/15 , edited 7/26/15
Here's the link: http://www.scoopwhoop.com/news/insta-photo/

What are your thoughts?

Personally I was all aboard about her fighting to keep her picture up, and she made some valid points about the other content on instagram being worse.

Then she started blaming the patriarchy, and comparing her problem with women of India and the Middle-East.

I can't really take that seriously, but what are your thoughts?
8386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/27/15 , edited 7/26/15

Tsuchimikado wrote:

It doesn't seem that big of a deal to me, but then again I don't really use those sites much.


I agree, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. Instagram provides a free service, and they own it. They can remove whatever content they choose. That's what you're agreeing to with those terms and conditions people always skip through, lol.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/27/15 , edited 7/26/15
I think she's overthinking. They removed her picture because the site admins deemed the picture to be too graphic.

It has everything to do with the discretion of a specific admin and nothing at all to do with something on such a grand scale as patriarchy.

Having a picture or a set of pictures removed from a website is not even remotely close in severity to that of the problems faced by women in India and the Middle East. People who actually agree with this part have serious issues and need a reality check (or a reality b**** slap) before they grow to be self-entitled beyond all hope of redemption. I don't know what the deal is with this frustrating new and obnoxious brand of self entitlement but I do not like it.

Isolated instances of brattiness are tolerable. This is becoming a real trend.

I consider myself someone who is usually pretty civil and willing to see the gray in many issues but some things are so illogical and blown out of proportion that I simply can't find the proper words or figure out where to begin. I didn't complain when I had to wait 7 hours before getting to an emergency room. I didn't complain when my sensei always used me a target for his demonstrations in the dojo. I didn't complain about how my parents essentially abandoned me after I was born prematurely and left me in the care of my aging grandmother. I didn't complain about walking an hour to school and an hour back for 6 years. What the hell is up with these people. These are the people who are going to be in charge in the future? I'm actually scared for the future of this country.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 7/26/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

I think she's overthinking. They removed her picture because the site admins deemed the picture to be too graphic.

It has everything to do with the discretion of a specific admin and nothing at all to do with something on such a grand scale as patriarchy.

Having a picture or a set of pictures removed from a website is not even remotely close in severity to the problems faced by women in India and the Middle East. People who actually agree with this part have serious issues and need a reality check (or a reality b**** slap) before they grow to be self-entitled beyond all hope of redemption. I don't know what the deal is with this frustrating new and obnoxious brand of self entitlement is but I do not like it.

I consider myself someone who is usually pretty civil and willing to see the gray in many issues but some things are so illogical and blown out of proportion that I simply can't find the proper words or figure out where to begin.


how was it too graphic lmao.. the girl had every right to be angry

and just because "other people have it worst" doesn't mean others don't have the right to fight for whatever is going on in their circle either.. your logic is shitty
8386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 7/26/15

deer wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

I think she's overthinking. They removed her picture because the site admins deemed the picture to be too graphic.

It has everything to do with the discretion of a specific admin and nothing at all to do with something on such a grand scale as patriarchy.

Having a picture or a set of pictures removed from a website is not even remotely close in severity to the problems faced by women in India and the Middle East. People who actually agree with this part have serious issues and need a reality check (or a reality b**** slap) before they grow to be self-entitled beyond all hope of redemption. I don't know what the deal is with this frustrating new and obnoxious brand of self entitlement is but I do not like it.

I consider myself someone who is usually pretty civil and willing to see the gray in many issues but some things are so illogical and blown out of proportion that I simply can't find the proper words or figure out where to begin.


how was it too graphic lmao.. the girl had every right to be angry

and just because "other people have it worst" doesn't mean others don't have the right to fight for whatever is going on in their circle either.. your logic is shitty


She had the right to be angry?

This is some serious entitlement issues.

Instagram is a free service, you do not pay them to use it. They can remove whatever they wish for whatever reason and you have absolutely no rights as a consumer to complain about it. Actually, let me rephrase. Feel free to complain, but Instagram has absolutely no reason to listen to a word you say because you're using their service free of charge and they have ownership over it.

Honestly the article comes off to me as more of a media-stunt to draw attention to her project than an actual problem with Instagram.

Feel free to fight whatever injustice you want but if you compare a picture being taken off of the internet to the sort of injustice women face in the places listed, I'm going to laugh in your face.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 7/26/15

deer wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

I think she's overthinking. They removed her picture because the site admins deemed the picture to be too graphic.

It has everything to do with the discretion of a specific admin and nothing at all to do with something on such a grand scale as patriarchy.

Having a picture or a set of pictures removed from a website is not even remotely close in severity to the problems faced by women in India and the Middle East. People who actually agree with this part have serious issues and need a reality check (or a reality b**** slap) before they grow to be self-entitled beyond all hope of redemption. I don't know what the deal is with this frustrating new and obnoxious brand of self entitlement is but I do not like it.

I consider myself someone who is usually pretty civil and willing to see the gray in many issues but some things are so illogical and blown out of proportion that I simply can't find the proper words or figure out where to begin.


how was it too graphic lmao.. the girl had every right to be angry

and just because "other people have it worst" doesn't mean others don't have the right to fight for whatever is going on in their circle either.. your logic is shitty



I'm sorry. Services like that are free and there is a disclaimer and contract terms laid out for users to agree to before using the services. She agreed to the terms and conditions. And the site is not hers. I personally find few things to be too graphic since I am able to eat breakfast while watching brutal videos of executions in the Middle East. But this has nothing to do with what the admin who removed her pictures thought. Admin's discretion =/= patriarchy.

Although unfairness sometimes merits anger, what is your first reaction when you perceive that something is unfair? If the answer to that question involves getting angry and/or pointing fingers, I have bad news for you...
4458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
n/a
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 7/26/15
LOL I have to say good for her!

The real issue it seems is that people are uncomfortable with any REAL issues related to woman... it's OK when it's about make up and heels but when the shit gets real ppl get offended.

the first thing i noticed though was the bed sheets... so I don't think the photo is too graphic.. maybe "graphic" to an interior designer
8386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 7/26/15

proxydata wrote:

LOL I have to say good for her!

The real issue it seems is that people are uncomfortable with any REAL issues related to woman... it's OK when it's about make up and heels but when the shit gets real ppl get offended.

the first thing i noticed though was the bed sheets... so I don't think the photo is too graphic.. maybe "graphic" to an interior designer


I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but I'm curious what those "real" issues are? I don't really consider a photo being taken off instagram as a real issue, I suppose.

I agree with the photo not really being graphic, and if it were up to me I'd let it stay, but instagram can take whatever they want off since its their service. *shrug*

4458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
n/a
Offline
Posted 3/28/15

Still_Ginger wrote:


proxydata wrote:

LOL I have to say good for her!

The real issue it seems is that people are uncomfortable with any REAL issues related to woman... it's OK when it's about make up and heels but when the shit gets real ppl get offended.

the first thing i noticed though was the bed sheets... so I don't think the photo is too graphic.. maybe "graphic" to an interior designer


I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but I'm curious what those "real" issues are? I don't really consider a photo being taken off instagram as a real issue, I suppose.

I agree with the photo not really being graphic, and if it were up to me I'd let it stay, but instagram can take whatever they want off since its their service. *shrug*



REAL ISSUES = things that happens and not by choice; so in this case menstruation is something that happens to woman and they don't choose it.

NOT REAL ISSUES = trivial things, like nude heels, "what color is this dress"... etc.

I believe the artist (complaining woman) was trying to prove that people are naturally uncomfortable with being confronted by images of woman issues, the more real the more uncomfortable

while you are right that instagram can take off any picture they want even if it's a "non offensive one" the point I think she is trying to make is that it was removed because of said topic in photo. I think it's quite cleaver... and I think her continue to complain is just to further prove her point. In other words Instagram played right in to it, and possibly so did the rest of the world.


2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 7/26/15
Honestly, at first she had something going, and it was believable and truthful. Then it slowly started to spiral down until she, just completely killed the article.
8386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 3/28/15

proxydata wrote:


Still_Ginger wrote:


proxydata wrote:

LOL I have to say good for her!

The real issue it seems is that people are uncomfortable with any REAL issues related to woman... it's OK when it's about make up and heels but when the shit gets real ppl get offended.

the first thing i noticed though was the bed sheets... so I don't think the photo is too graphic.. maybe "graphic" to an interior designer


I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but I'm curious what those "real" issues are? I don't really consider a photo being taken off instagram as a real issue, I suppose.

I agree with the photo not really being graphic, and if it were up to me I'd let it stay, but instagram can take whatever they want off since its their service. *shrug*



REAL ISSUES = things that happens and not by choice; so in this case menstruation is something that happens to woman and they don't choose it.

NOT REAL ISSUES = trivial things, like nude heels, "what color is this dress"... etc.

I believe the artist (complaining woman) was trying to prove that people are naturally uncomfortable with being confronted by images of woman issues, the more real the more uncomfortable

while you are right that instagram can take off any picture they want even if it's a "non offensive one" the point I think she is trying to make is that it was removed because of said topic in photo. I think it's quite cleaver... and I think her continue to complain is just to further prove her point. In other words Instagram played right in to it, and possibly so did the rest of the world.




It really comes across to me as her using instagram as a means to prove a point, she probably knew in advance that the photo would be taken off and put it on there just to prove her "project" to be correct, or whatever.

Honestly, I don't know very many people who are uncomfortable with menstruation. It's a bodily function that happens to all females, it's not some radical thing. Everybody who is old enough knows that it happens. A lot of other things happen though, for example sometimes I have to urinate.

I am not a gross person for needing to urinate, although I can easily become a gross person if I pee my pants and post it online, or start peeing in public, etc. The fact of the matter is that bodily functions are just fairly taboo and nasty, everybody has them so it doesn't mean we're uncomfortable with the fact that it happens, but if I were to go in your house and start pooping on your countertop you'd probably have an issue with it.

If this girl had shat her pants or peed in them or whatever, I'm sure the photo would have been taken down just the same. It's not about being uncomfortable with menstruation, and it's not an issue of women's rights. It's just an issue of "nobody wants to see that".

Leaks do happen, and I've seen it on multiple occasions and not thought the person was gross or whatever, but the difference is that its not intentional. For example if somebody takes a nice big handful of menstrual blood and wipes it on your face, that is gross. If somebody intentionally gets their pants covered in it and puts it on the internet, well... I just didn't really need to see it, did I?

If I have rectal bleeding and I bleed all over the backside of my pants and put here on CR "HAI EVERYBODY LOOK MY ANUS IS BLEEDING" is that acceptable?

Not everything has to be a women's rights issue...


byClear wrote:

Honestly, at first she had something going, and it was believable and truthful. Then it slowly started to spiral down until she, just completely killed the article.


I agree 100%.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 3/28/15

It seems as though it begins when they find something seemingly unfair. It doesn't matter how trivial the issue. And then they mine, dig, amplify until it becomes a women's rights issue. Others operate on the same principle that misbehaving minorities do. You're only giving me trouble because I'm black and you don't like me! No, sir, I'm giving you trouble because you used the towels from your hotel room to clean your car, brought dogs in despite being aware of the no pet policy, and left your broken crack pipes all over the room.

I've tried having serious conversations with modern feminists before. Half of them don't know the difference between gender and sex. I tried explaining that I am not feminist because I believe humanitarianism is a better approach to equality. And since both aim for the common goal of reasonable social equality, we should be allies, right? They seem somewhat eloquent and well-schooled. We should be able to come to terms, right? I was unpleasantly surprised.

"If you're not a feminist, you are against equality."

Verbatim. Boom. My 15 minutes of talking might as well have been 0. Couldn't take it seriously after that.
8386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/28/15 , edited 3/29/15


I won't say that I have a problem with femenists or feminism, because I know a lot of great ones with wonderful attitudes on the subject. However there are definitely a lot of radicals that get under my skin. It's just not radfems though there are a lot of "SJWs" in general that seem to use the opposite of equality to preach equality, it just really comes across as hypocritical. People like anita sarkeesian for example I just cannot stand.

I spent a very long time considering myself a feminist because by definition it is just a really nice thing, but once I saw what a lot of radfems are really like I just decided that I couldn't agree with their thoughts and actions.

I don't really consider myself anything like that, and I don't automatically dislike people because of what they consider themselves, but there are definitely a lot of people that I just can't come to terms with for sure.

Honestly it feels more like a hate-group to me at this point, because the only strategy I see is dog-pile anybody who doesn't conform and spout nonsensical terms until the other person cries.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/28/15

Still_Ginger wrote:



I won't say that I have a problem with femenists or feminism, because I know a lot of great ones with wonderful attitudes on the subject. However there are definitely a lot of radicals that get under my skin. It's just not radfems though there are a lot of "SJWs" in general that seem to use the opposite of equality to preach equality, it just really comes across as hypocritical. People like anita sarkeesian for example I just cannot stand.

I spent a very long time considering myself a feminist because by definition it is just a really nice thing, but once I saw what a lot of radfems are really like I just decided that I couldn't agree with their thoughts and actions.

I don't really consider myself anything like that, and I don't automatically dislike people because of what they consider themselves, but there are definitely a lot of people that I just can't come to terms with for sure.

Honestly it feels more like a hate-group to me at this point, because the only strategy I see is dog-pile anybody who doesn't conform and spout nonsensical terms until the other person cries.


Yeah, I do agree that the true core values of feminism are admirable. I like those values. But the movement is just too twisted to salvage now.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.